“Fine stay, middle of nowhere, lounge closed on weekends”

The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Arrived at the hotel around 9p and was cheerfully informed that as a SPG Plat I was upgraded to the Executive Club Level (Yeah!! No . . .) and in the next breath told the lounge was closed on the weekends. However,I was given a coupon for a free appetizer at the restaurant and free breakfast the next morning. Ok-- not the lounge but I appreciate the tough that went into it. The staff is very friendly and cheerful-- rare for an airport hotel. The room was a typical airport hotel room with the tub/shower combo and the place is decked out in heavenly this and that as only Westin can do. Bed was very comfortable but the walls are rather thin since i heard the conversations in the next room with little problem-- unfortunately nothing interesting. The hotel caters to flight crews so there must be quiet, dark rooms somewhere. Had a drink and appetizer at the bar-- pleasant but slow service . . . I mean S L O W . . . slow. It was a Friday night and there were 6 people at the bar and perhaps 4 in the restaurant. All in all a comfortable visit and I'd stay again although when the lounge is open.

Room Tip: Ask for the end of the hallway . . . corner or end rooms must be more quiet than the one I was in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Jayquin B, Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoy our well-appointed rooms and friendly staff. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the necessary departments to further improve our skills so we may continue to execute the world class service Westin has become known for. We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay to Baltimore.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

After a long travel day on Friday 7/25 I found a very favorable rate on hotels.com for the Westin BWI. Upon arrival I was welcomed by the charming night auditor (Adrian?) and he quoted me the hotel rate for the evening. When I asked for the hotels.com rate, he kindly explained that he could not book that rate, but that if I chose to book it online via hotels.com, it might take a few minutes for the fax or email to confirm payment. I made the reservation online, showed my confo on my phone, and we waited. After about ten minutes he Very Kindly offered to check me in immediately so I would not have to wait, and if there was a problem he would contact me. This was extraordinary service and I was impressed.

The following morning I awoke to find my guest folio with the higher rate charged to the credit card that was used to guarantee incidentals. At check out, I approached the desk and inquired with the front desk supervisor Patricia. After a little investigation we determined that because I had arrived at 12:03am, the booking had been made for the following day Saturday.

Patricia explained I would have to take this up with hotels.com and she could not fix the problem. After a very long arduous debate, I suggested that since she was guaranteed payment through hotels.com, she might consider crediting my credit card for the incorrect charge. She went on to explain how much work she would have to do and that she wasn't arguing with me, she just couldn't get her head around the solution. Finally, she allowed me to leave and promised she would find a solution. About an hour later, the other (very kind) clerk at the desk left me a VM stating the charge would be reversed.

It was frustrating that Patricia's problem became my problem.

And it was an unfortunate way to end the experience.

The room itself was lovely and impeccably clean. The bathroom was a little tired, with a droopy shower rod and a couple other small details, but again, squeaky clean. The location is a little farther off the interstate than competitors, but the rate was great and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Jayquin B, Manager at The Westin Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that we missed the mark on your recent stay. Providing each and every guest with a professional and efficient experience is something we take very seriously. We absolutely use your feedback to further improve and refine our service levels. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Started off on the wrong on foot. Showed up at 4:30 and even though check in time was 3:00 the room was not ready. Hotel was quiet so I can only assume they have to do more with less help. Waited 30 min for the room, which as a SPG plat is not acceptable.
The room was nice enough probably in the midrange for the Westin brand. Beds were comfortable and showers just fine. The club lounge was a little underwhelming in the evening for its offerings, but did a better job in the morning. The fitness centre was very good and also quiet. Shuttle pickup service was prompt. Not really too much around but the shuttle will take you to local food joints.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding stay. We are disappointed to hear we did not fully meet your expectations on your last visit. We value your feedback as we work to become a better hotel. We certainly hope you will join us again and thank you again for your candid observations.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the BWI Westin on July 9 to catch an early morning flight the next morning. We are SPG Gold and expected what we normally get at a Westin....a top notch room. We were disappointed. The room was not very clean...we had to clean the bathroom floor with a towel. Also had to change out the phone which didn't work. The staff was very nice, but we will stay at the Sheraton next door where we have stayed before. Much nicer in our opinion.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Seems the staff didn't know the local area and had a tough time finding restaurant recommendations except of course their own. In addition, despite being a Westin, no hot water and the staff had a rough time figuring out why the concierge lounge wasn't open until it dawned on them they didn't open it on Friday night

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We very much appreciate your specific and candid observations and we truly are very sorry that we so badly missed your expectations. You can be assured that we found your comments very helpful. We certainly value your patronage and feedback, and we are thankful for your time.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here this weekend. This was a priceline booking. (77+fees=97). This is the 3rd Westin I've stayed at. I really like the bathrooms in this hotel. The rain shower head is nice. It was not as nice as the other Westin's but it was pretty close. The beds are comfy. The hotel lobby is very nice. Staff is nice. Rooms seemed to be clean. There were some marks on the outside of the tub, but other than that, it seemed really nice. I would stay there again. I liked that it was so close to the airport. The previous poster said that you get a $5 credit for not using the maid service; however, I did not get that. Maybe you have to ask for it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Westin BWI and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is great and staff is very nice and friendly. I love their reward system-if you do not need the housekeeping for your room, housekeepers will leave 5$ reward card. Since my husband is staying there over a month, he saved up plenty of those cards and used them for food purchases at the hotel. We enjoyed the bar visit also. The bartender was very nice and his drinks are well made. For my taste, drinks were too strong, but it is not a complaint, it is big plus for many customers! The hotel is pet friendly and it is big plus for me, because I do not travel without my dog. Do not forget to take little paper sign for the door at the front desk, so housekeepers will not enter the room when pet is staying there alone. The gym is great size and it is many different ways for work out. Only one thing about the gym, it could use couple extra mirrors. I love to work out on the yoga mat next to the mirror, unfortunately all the weights seats right in front of the mirror so it make it difficult to see what are you doing. Our family enjoyed to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AlinaP87

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments! We are very happy that you we able to visit the BWI area and that you chose to stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you on your next visit.