“Nice hotel with lounge. Good stay for airport use.”

Holiday Inn BWI Airport
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here overnight for a flight out the following morning. Shuttle service to the airport was quick and friendly. Bed was comfy. Enjoyed a beer at the lounge and food was decent enough. Pretty much pay for what you get here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mako13Man

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Monday, December 9th. Check-in was a breeze, the room was clean and spacious, dinner in he restaurant was good (and not expensive), the wake up call was on time, and the shuttle to the airport was ready when we were.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WyattsGrumpy
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Before starting my review, I want to state up front that I am a Platinum Elite member of the IHG Rewards Club (formerly Priority Club). For reference purposes, I will also state that I have spent a great deal of days in stays over the past 3-4 years at a Holiday Inn property in lower SoHo in Manhattan, and at a Holiday Inn property located in the French Quarter in New Orleans, and for each of those stays, I have given each of those hotels only 5-star reviews at Trip Advisor and on the IHG Hotels website.

This current review will be the first time where I am not giving a Holiday Inn property a 5-star review. I am giving this property a 2-star rating, and, frankly, I was torn between whether to give it a 1-star rating or a 2-star rating, but finally, in the end, I decided to be generous and give the benefit of the doubt -- given the management problems that I have learned that this hotel is having -- and give this hotel 2 stars for my stay. In reality, 1.5 stars (i.e., one and a half stars) would be more realistic.

I am currently staying at this hotel for a 2-night stay (I have, at this point, been here a bit under 24 hours) in order to be near BWI airport for an outbound flight early on Sunday, Dec. 15th to New Orleans. When I first decided, due to incoming nasty weather conditions (i.e., snow and ice storms due at and near my home in the mountains of Western MD during the entire 24 hour period preceding my flight departure time from BWI), to come in early to the BWI airport area and to stay at a hotel near the airport, I researched my hotel options carefully, because there are quite a few hotels available on the "airport hotel row" located in Linthicum MD near the BWI airport.

From the start, I considered staying at this property, due to my aforementioned excellent past experiences with Holiday Inn properties located in NYC and in New Orleans, but, before deciding for sure, I chose to perform some extra due diligence (i.e., diligent proactive research) regarding the amenities and services available at this property. Since I knew in advance that airport row hotels often tend to NOT have restaurants that serve breakfast located within walking distance of the hotel, and since I am an early riser and am always ready to eat breakfast by 6 AM, I wanted to be sure that breakfast would be available from 6AM onward from either the hotel restaurant or via room service ordering. Luckily for me, the hotel's webpages located at the IHG site stated clearly, in the Hotel Detail/Dining section that breakfast food is available at this property from 6AM onward 7 days per week. Just to be double-sure, I called IHG's toll-free number to double-check this claim, and i was assured that, much as stated on the hotel website at IHG, breakfast is available from 6AM onward 7 days per week via room service ordering, and from 7Am onward at the hotel restaurant located in the hotel lobby.

Duly satisfied with these answers that I had received, I went ahead and reserved a two-night stay at this hotel property, and, since I had been assured that breakfast would be available on both mornings from 6AM onward via room service, I chose to ignore my wife's urging to pack in my backpack a bit of frozen food (i.e., an organic frozen burrito or a frozen breakfast panini sandwich from our local natural foods store) "just in case" breakfast was not really available at 6AM.

When I first arrived at the property and checked in, I was pleasantly surprised. They had given me an early check-in, as I had requested, and I found that they had upgraded my reservation to a very large dual-queen bed room on the Executive floor, which is the top floor. And, when I entered my room, I discovered that it was quite spacious, and very clean and up-to-date, and that it sported both a mini-fridge and a microwave oven. So far, so good!

Just to be triple-sure about the breakfast time question that I had earlier researched, I opened the Guest Services folder (bound in a 3-ring binder with a flexible translucent cover) booklet found in the room, and on each page located in the Dining section, I found a reassuring note to the effect that breakfast was available via room service from 6AM onward every day of the week, from Monday through Sunday, by dialing extension 602 on the hotel's phone system.

Well, on the morning of Dec. 14th, I awoke, as I normally do, before 5AM, and by 6 AM I was quite hungry, and ready to devour a hearty breakfast. So, at 6:02AM, I sat down and dialed the room service number to place my order for breakfast. After 26 rings, there was no answer. I tried again and again, and finally, by 6:22AM, a young woman answered the phone and I attempted to place my order for an omelet to be delivered to my room via room service. She interrupted me to advise me that the kitchen was not yet open, and that it would not be open until 7AM. In a gentle and soothing voice, I reassured her that she was quite mistaken, and that rather, breakfast was available at this hotel from 6AM onward via room service even on weekend mornings, and I assured her that this fact had been confirmed by three separate and somewhat independent sources. Obviously uncomfortable by this point, for she surely could not be held responsible for repeated miscommunications on the part of hotel management (and its lying marketing and sales people, curse the entire lot of them...), she told me that breakfast truly was not available via room service until 7AM; she suggested that the front desk would likely have a list of nearby restaurants that open for breakfast by 6 AM, and suggested that I contact the front desk. At this point, I thanked her and hung up.

I put on some shoes (a well-worn and kinda dirty pair of old running shoes, if you must know) and went down to the front desk. I explained briefly to the front desk clerk on duty the bizarre and unexpected problem that I had encountered in trying to order my breakfast via room service, and asked to speak with a manager. She told me that there were no managers currently on duty, and that, in fact, there were no managers on duty all weekend, but, she said, a "supervisor" would be coming in at 7AM, and perhaps I could speak with her after she came in regarding the bizarre and repeated miscommunications regarding the availability of breakfast at 6AM via room service.

I then asked the front desk clerk if there might be any nearby restaurants that might be open at 6AM, so that I could walk to one of them for breakfast. She told me that there were two such restaurants along the BWI hotel row, one a Cracker Barrel, and the other a Bob Evans outlet, and she said that both opened by 6AM, but she further told me that they were located over a mile from the hotel, too far to walk in the icy near-darkness outside, but, she offered brightly, the hotel's shuttle bus would be happy to give me a ride to one of these breakfast restaurants (and then, it seemed, once i was done my meal, I would need to call the hotel and ask for the shuttle bus to pick me up to return me to the hotel, but I was warned that any such "unscheduled" pickup might entail up to a one-hour delay before the shuttle bus showed up.

Just then, the shuttle bus driver happened to walk in, and, overhearing our conversation, mentioned to us that he was not at all sure that either of those two restaurants actually opened by 6AM on weekends. I then asked the hotel front desk clerk who had recommended these two restaurants to me as being open from 6AM onward to please check their opening times. It kinda went downhill from that point onward, for it turned out that she, while she obviously tried her best for a few minutes of confused and scrambled effort, was entirely unable to figure out how to contact the restaurants in question to ascertain whether they were open or not.

At this point, I groaned, and went over to a very poorly-stocked (it was nearly empty) display cooler near the front desk that offered frozen foods for sale that guests could heat up in the microwave ovens in their rooms, and looked at the very very sparse offerings. They were pretty dismal, but the least-toxic breakfast-type food that I could find was a frozen beef burrito that, according to the ingredients label, contained fewer than five synthetic chemicals and preservatives. I bought the burrito, brought it back to my room, and heated it up in the microwave oven, and ate a few bites from it to satiate my by-now burning hunger, before tossing the remainder of the cheap frozen burrito in the trash can, for it was really quite dismal.

I then, after 7AM, since I was still annoyed about the entire incident, went to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. It was explained to me that none of the management staff such as the General Manager, Guest Services Manager or Front Desk manager, ever work on weekends, and thus, I was told, no one was available. Finding this glib reply rather suspicious, I asked for the home phone number or email address for the General Manager or Guest Services manager. I was told that such information was not available.

I then retired to my room, wherefrom I called IHG's toll-free number. I explained the bizarre problem that I had encountered to them, and asked them to help me in contacting hotel management at this property. They promptly informed me that the name of the General Manager was Stacey Schuhardt, but that they were not sure of her exact email address, and advised me to go to the front desk and ask them for Stacey Schuhardt's email address at IHG, and also perhaps for her cell phone number as well, so that I could contact her.

And so, I once again traveled downward to the hotel's front desk, where I explained that IHG had given me Stacey's name as the GM, and I asked the front desk clerk to please give me Stacey's email address at IHG. She spent about ten minutes looking high and low, all to no avail, and then she finally made a phone call to another hotel staffer, whereupon she she informed that that Stacey Schuhardt was no longer the GM of the hotel.

So, I then asked her for the name and email address of the current/new General Manager, and also for the names and email addresses of the Guest Services Manager and the Front Desk manager, and at this point, she and another woman who had just arrived for her shift on duty, after exchanging some embarrassed glances with each other, explained to me that they had kinda been trying to avoid, up to this point, telling me that the hotel currently had NO management staff, that is, no GM, no Guest Services manager, and no Front Desk manager, because all of the hotel's management staff had recently been purged in a major management shake-up, and that no replacements for ANY of them had been hired.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I then asked for the names and contact information for the ACTING interim management staff, and they sadly informed me that there was no interim Acting management staff in place. However, they told me brightly, in what was apparently a last-ditch and dying attempt to save the day, there was a man available who was a "supervisor in charge of the hotel until new management gets hired", and they gave me his email address.

Reading his email address, I recognized his name, and told them, with an ahem or two and a polite cough or two, that to the best of my knowledge, he was the manager of Engineering and Maintenance, and that he would hardly have any expertise, nor authority, nor accountability, in the realms covered by my current complaint. They told me brightly that yes, this was indeed true, and that Marty was the only remaining management staff left after the management purge, and, they told me brightly and perkily, he had been with the hotel for over ten years, from back in the old days, pre-March 2013, when it had been a Comfort Inn. Again, despite their admission that he had no authority and no expertise nor accountability in this particular realm at hand, they brightly chirped that I was welcome to contact Marty (via email) nonetheless! ...smile, smile, chirp, chirp! They were like automatons, mindlessly chirping and smiling, and uttering absolutely inane statements!

By this time, I realized with some dismay that I had inadvertently wandered into the Twilight Zone, and that these "people" with whom I was dealing were merely mindless robotic zombies who had been trained to brightly chirp meaningless inanities in response to serious and sincere questions. I wandered away from the front desk, shaking my head in wonderment.

So, the rooms are clean and bright and sizeable and the hallways are wide, and the hotel was recently remodeled. Those are the good points. The downside points are that there are some serious errors in the online and phone information about this hotel, and also in their Guest Services binder, and then there is the somewhat odd and disconcerting fact that this hotel currently has NO MANAGEMENT STAFF, not even acting managers to take the place of the recently-purged managers, and also that there is ZERO RESPONSIBILITY and ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY on the part of anyone on duty, even among the so-called "supervisors".

I will be quite relieved to leave this strange property early tomorrow morning for my flight out of BWI. And, as you have guessed, I will surely NEVER return to this bizarrely-managed property!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Vinny067
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Vinny067,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Immaculately clean, cheerful hotel. Room was large and bed comfortable. Breakfast area is bright and cheery. Staff was competent and helpful. We had to book this quickly when our flight was delayed and reservation was handled promptly and accurately, We have only nice things to stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Coronadotraveler
Reviewed 11 October 2013

To cut a long story very short after nearly 24 hours awake traveling from UK we were left stranded late at night in Baltimore Airport by South West Airlines, who's customer service was all most as bad as Easyjet or Ryanair on this occasion... saved only by a few of their people.
Anyway the young lady receptionist ( who's name I sadly do not remember ) Solved all our problems, organised room and transport... made us feel our needs were her only concern, high quality customer service... sadly after a trip of three and a half weeks I wish I could remember her name, but she will be in my heart for a long time to come!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 48Fred48
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days during a business trip. I arrived late but Mrs Musau at the reception was very nice and graciously took care of my late arrival. I will use this hotel in the future. Room was spacious and clean and the breakfast was diverse and tasty.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank MihaelaSa
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed here in September twice. What a wonderful remodel!! The hotel is on trend with a crisp, clean, modern design, the restaurant had a very good breakfast and dinner was excellent. Both the steak and fish and chips were terrific! The rooms were large, bright and beautifully decorated and the beds were very comfortable. Very pleasant! Besides all that, all staff members were friendly and very helpful especially Tiffany and Musau at the front desk. The management team is excellent which makes everything as flawless as possible. Definitely will recommend to friends who need to stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple