“Not convenient for a C&O biking trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Town Hill Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Orleans
Town Hill Bed and Breakfast
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not convenient for a C&O biking trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The inn is a very nice building on top of the mountain with fabulous views from the overlook across the street. Unfortunately it's about 7 miles uphill from the bike trail. They do have someone that will drive down to the trail with a trailer to bring you and the bike up (for a fee), but in the process they came very close to damaging my bike, so I rode it down to the trail in the morning. As for the accommodations, I think it depends on what you're looking for. The bed was comfortable, the rooms pretty, but the walls are paper thin. I heard every word said within 20-30 feet of my room. The bathroom fixtures are vintage 1950-something I believe. Complete with the rust and corrosion on faucets and surfaces and the heavy smell of iron in the water. I had a room with a tub but no shower. They had a hand held shower attached to the faucet, but no shower curtain and when you turned on the water the hose blew off the faucet anyway. No clock in the room - bring your own alarm if you need one, and as with most B&Bs no phone or tv, but most aren't looking for that when they choose a B&B. The hall light was on all night and there's a glass transom over the door to the room, so the room was lit like daytime all night. For me, personally, it was a little hard to sleep. The food served was very nice. They had a huge, commercial kitchen and set out desserts in the evening and a very nice breakfast in the morning. The owners were out of town, but the lady running it for them was very nice and tried very hard to make it all wonderful for everyone. Bikes had to remain outside in an unsecured location. I really don't think they're set up or located well for people using the C&O trail for a biking trip. For other trips this may be perfect for those who don't mind the feel of sleeping in your grandmother's (great-grandmothers?) spare room. I believe that's exactly what a lot of people are looking for in a B&B and this one is a spectacular old building with lovely furniture and landscaping. It is, however very pricey.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RetiredinPA2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Riding the tow path from MD to DC, we made our overnight stay at Town Hill B&B. This set the bar for the rest of our trip. The owners were away and Mary was in control in their absence. Mary was GREAT!! Mary shuttled a total of 7 people and 7 bikes to the Inn. We were able to hose off the bikes because of previous rain and mud on them. The bikes were secure and under a pavillion during the night. Mary could not have been more attentive and helpful! The rooms were clean and comfortable. The Inn has beautiful hills and scenic views. The food....well I can't say enough about how DELICIOUS it was. I am sorry I cannot recall the cooks name , but her food was first class all the way. None of our other stays along the tow path measured up to this one.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David K
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

For decades, off and off I have driven by the Town Hill Inn and watched it go from a beautiful hotel to a decaying ruin. In October, my wife and I spent a night at the refurbished Town Hill and found it a pleasant, if not fully gratifying experience. We arrived early for an event there that we were attending. As a consequence we were able to spend some time with the owner who had brought the hotel back to life, beautifully and with many intersting touches. He was gracious, as was his wife. It wasn't a particularly pleasant day, weatherwise, so we weren't able to take advantage of what to be inviting grounds around the Inn. The room was little less accommodating than I had hoped, given that I booked the most expensive room in the inn. Not bad, but I just expected more for the money. The sunroom was very nice, as was the communal sitting room with a huge fireplace and a TV. The dining room was nicely appointed. I can't comment on the regular menu as our group was provided with a buffet selction. It was fine, but I suspect the menu items are probably better. When they announced that they would provide breakfast for those in our group spending the night, I was a little shocked that we'd have to pay $19.95 for it. Bed and what? I kind of assumed that the fee included breakfast at a Bed and Breakfast. I'm sorry to say that really colored my thoughts of ever going back. But, I'd still recommend it with the suggestion that you drive into nearby Hancock and have a hearty breakfast for half the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank calabriavince
Indian Head, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We stayed at the Town Hill Bed and Breakfast on our bike trip from Cumberland to Georgetown. This is a very nice place. It is very clean and the food excellent. The hosts were gracious and attentive to all our needs. We stopped at Bill's to eat which is right off the towpath. The Town Hill owners picked us up there and took us to the B&B which is about 6 miles away. And they brought us back to the towpath in the morning to continue our bike trip. We highly recommend this B&B as a place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

The rooms and food rate very good. The location is nice, but dealing with the owner Dave (although Donna the wife is really nice) is exasperating. I will not return.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ahm400
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Just got back from a night at the Town Hll B&B. My wife and I are biking the C&O Towpath and after 40 miles this place was perfect. It is about 6 miles off the Towpath and is very easy to get to. The room with private bath was perfect and the inn sitter, Harriet, was outstanding. Her breakfast was stunning. She even offered us a desert after we returned from the trail. If you plan on visiting the mountains of MD or are biking like we are, you cannot do better than this place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freods
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

The Town Hill B&B is located on the side of a hill with a wonderful view. The best view is from just across Route 40, a main road on which the B&B is situated. We were there as part of a biking tour of the C&O Canal. The B&B is actually quite some way from the C&O Trail/Potomac River and the group of buildings that constitute Little Orleans, and is up a very long and steep hill. The owner came and picked most of our group from Bill's store, but quite a few good cyclists actually made it all the way up.

The place is very nice and the owners have put a lot of their hearts and minds into the Town Hill. They were both excellent hosts and did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable - very hospitable and gracious. The B&B has about 26 rooms on two floors, a lounge and large dining room, plus a small gift shop. They often cater to large groups, such as religious retreats.

The food was outstanding - both dinner and breakfast, with a large spread for both meals. Don't expect to go away without adding a few pounds to your weight!

The rooms themselves are small, and many have two or three beds. Many do not have private bathrooms, although we were fortunate to have one. They are all nicely decorated, but the bed was very springy and sagged in the middle. The rooms are not well sound-proofed, so noise travels. However, this was not a problem during our stay, since our group occupied the whole premises.

This is a very nice place to stay, although it is a bit in the "middle of nowhere", so would be good for a quiet get-away weekend, or stop off on the way.

• Stayed October 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Orleans
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
#2 of 4 in Cumberland
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Hancock

Been to Town Hill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!