“Great Campground! Nice Staff!”

Adventure Bound Washington
Adventure Bound Washington
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Great Campground! Nice Staff!”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

What a nice campground! We had to change our first reservation at the last minute due to "mechanical" issues. The staff were exceptionally helpful and switched our reservation to later in the month without a problem. When we did camp, we arrived late the first night- the campground has security and their employee not only helped us find our campsite, he stayed and helped hold a flashlight so we could hook up all our lines! It was much appreciated! Everyone was friendly and professional and facilities were clean! We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 104piper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New England
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We don't generally stay in private campgrounds - as tent campers we generally prefer public parks. But we got a little desperate this past week in the extreme heat, and checked into Duncan's as a home base for kayaking on the Chesapeake. What a pleasant surprise! As far as I can tell, we were the only ones there in a tent, and so our site was surrounded by a large area of empty tent sites.... lots of privacy and quiet! Bathhouse was clean, camp store had basics and cold drinks. The pool is large and clean and had life guards and plenty of lounge chairs. Given the massive heat wave, this was a wonderful plus. But the best thing was the friendly and helpful staff (desk, pool, maintenance and store.) If you are travelling to Washington or Baltimore or Annapolis or the Bay with kids, this would be a great place to come back to and relax after sightseeing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CamelCase
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Very Dirty Campground! In need of repair. Campsite was dirty. The campground had an awful smell. Staff not very helpful.
Wi-Fi not in service.
Not what we expected.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jkbachman

Travellers are raving about these Lothian hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2011

I've been camping here at Duncans family for 28 years now and I absolutely love it!!! It's one of my favorite places!!! We've stayed on every type of sight available from tent sights to full hook ups. I must say that this is the most family friendly campground I've ever been too. The staff is wonderful and always friendly and willing to help with any situation. They always have plenty of activities for people of all ages including live bands and karaoke. Sure the sites are dirt and gravel but you are camping, what do you expect? I recommend this campground to anyone who wants to have a good family fun camping trip.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank carebear102480
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We loved our stay at Duncan's! The staff was very friendly, there was lots to do within a short drive and the staff was always willing to steer us in the right direction.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank MaryB69
Whiteford, Maryland
Reviewed 2 June 2011

My family and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend and were really disappointed with our stay. The bathrooms were dirty and smelled of sewer. Our children were very unhappy with the amount of adult swims that were through out their swimming day. I can understand 2 adult swims during a day, but more than that is ridiculous. This year they added a Tiki Bar at pool side, which sold frozen smoothies for $3.50/small cup. I thought this was a little high when camping is supposed to be a cheaper alternative vacation for families. The line for the frozen smoothies would be completely empty until the life guard blew his whistle and yelled adult swim. The line would quickly fill up and when you have 4 children in your family at $3.50/drink, this quickly adds up. The campground required everyone in your group to wear wrist bands. While my husband was packing up, I decided to take the children to the pool for the last hour that we were there. My child had lost his paper band and was asked to get out of the pool. When I spoke to the lifeguard he was rude and stated that "it's our rules". I even explained to him that we would be leaving shortly and he didn't even have a heart to let him stay. I then had my child walk to the camp check in to ask for a new bracelet. They would not give him one since he did not have the other one to return to them. Hence the term "LOST". When you check into hotels you are not asked to wear a band to swim in their pool. Where did family camping go?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank echoingacres
maryland
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We camped in this campground in our travel trailer for one week (August 23-29th 2010) while we made day trips to DC and Annapolis. The reviews we read prior to our vacation were spot on...the staff are very friendly and you do get a feel like you are camping in a trailer park due to so many long term campers occupying sites that look like they have not been touched or washed in months. Also other reviewers commented on the sites having grass and dirt that create mud when it rains as opposed to having gravel or paved sites. We had to go out and buy a special rug to put at the door so that we did not track mud in. It must have rained a day or two prior to our visit because the ground was soft...it made me not want to sit outside much.

The staff were chopping down trees and painting while we were there...they have a junky tool shed or work area that we had to pass each time we left out of the campground that they should really straigten up. I felt like we were camping in the middle of their mess.

The only pro to staying at this place was the price...and it's proximity to route 4 which gets you to the shopping areas.

My two other dislikes for this place was the internet service...once again reviewers commented on poor internet connection. I too had to sit outside of the office in order to get a steady connection. It was frustrating when I was in my camper trying to use the internet and having to stick my device into the window to try to get a connection. The entire time we were there our connection was always "low" with one bar.

The other dislike was the amount of cable channels they offer: 24
They were: all local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) Fox, CW, PBS, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Weather Channel, Nat'l Geo, Animal Planet, Cartoon Network, Nick, Fox News, CNBC, TBS, USA, TLC, FX, Spike, A&E, AMC, Fox Movie Channel, Comedy Central

I hope the staff takes the time to read these reviews because a little TLC to this place in the form of requiring long termers to clean their area, wash their campers and not have junk cluttering their site, add some gravel to the sites, clean up their work area, get more cable channels and for peats sake fix the internet connection and this place could get better ratings. I like the fact that this is a family owned campground and it would be nice if they could keep it around for generations but until these things are improved upon we will not be returning.

On a final note...it appeared to us that the teenaged employees had about 8 of their friends come to the campstore area after the office workers were gone for the day to hang out or wait for them to get off ...but they were congregated outside at the picnic tables and that didn't look too good...I didn't notice them as campers during our stay so that is why they stood out to me as "not belonging"...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vacationbarbie2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lothian
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Sleep Inn & Suites Upper Marlboro near Andrews AFB
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
Comfort Inn Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis

Been to Adventure Bound Washington? Share your experiences!