“Don't know how they can stay in business?????”

Adventure Bound Washington
Adventure Bound Washington
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We were having a family vacation for the first time in DC and thought this would be a great place to stay. In all of our camping party there was a total of twenty-four people. We had three families in travel trailers, one family in a pop-up and one family rented the trailer that was on the property, Duncan's own this travel trailer. We had some great laughs and good times but they were not were because we stayed at the campground. We have all camped before and my first complaint is the lack of friendliness, the overall park was old and dirty. The smell of backuped sewer could not be ignored. It did not occur all the time but when it did the kids went running and sometimes the adults too. We did not like the FACT that the office closes at 6pm during the week and 2PM on Sunday! We have NEVER stayed in a campground were the office closes in the peak season at 2pm. The week we stayed the tempatures were in the 100's it was hot! The pool closed at 6pm on Sunday night!?!?!?!? What is all that about? It is August and what are we to do with a bunch of kids in DC. Most of the attractions in town close early but the point is it is their peak season. We will not be back - hopfully someone will read this at the park because they don't take complaints well. Example I had to use the washer and dryers and only 4 out of 7 dryers worked, they didn't put out of order signs on them. I told them about the dryers and when the girl came out to check if it was really BROKEN she was mad that the sign was removed because she said it had been broken for months. I could go on and on but I won't. I will say my family and I had a great time being together even if it was at Duncan's.

4  Thank 532amom

Reviewed 25 July 2011

What a nice campground! We had to change our first reservation at the last minute due to "mechanical" issues. The staff were exceptionally helpful and switched our reservation to later in the month without a problem. When we did camp, we arrived late the first night- the campground has security and their employee not only helped us find our campsite, he stayed and helped hold a flashlight so we could hook up all our lines! It was much appreciated! Everyone was friendly and professional and facilities were clean! We would definitely stay again!

2  Thank 104piper
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We don't generally stay in private campgrounds - as tent campers we generally prefer public parks. But we got a little desperate this past week in the extreme heat, and checked into Duncan's as a home base for kayaking on the Chesapeake. What a pleasant surprise! As far as I can tell, we were the only ones there in a tent, and so our site was surrounded by a large area of empty tent sites.... lots of privacy and quiet! Bathhouse was clean, camp store had basics and cold drinks. The pool is large and clean and had life guards and plenty of lounge chairs. Given the massive heat wave, this was a wonderful plus. But the best thing was the friendly and helpful staff (desk, pool, maintenance and store.) If you are travelling to Washington or Baltimore or Annapolis or the Bay with kids, this would be a great place to come back to and relax after sightseeing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CamelCase
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Very Dirty Campground! In need of repair. Campsite was dirty. The campground had an awful smell. Staff not very helpful.
Wi-Fi not in service.
Not what we expected.

3  Thank jkbachman
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I've been camping here at Duncans family for 28 years now and I absolutely love it!!! It's one of my favorite places!!! We've stayed on every type of sight available from tent sights to full hook ups. I must say that this is the most family friendly campground I've ever been too. The staff is wonderful and always friendly and willing to help with any situation. They always have plenty of activities for people of all ages including live bands and karaoke. Sure the sites are dirt and gravel but you are camping, what do you expect? I recommend this campground to anyone who wants to have a good family fun camping trip.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank carebear102480
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We loved our stay at Duncan's! The staff was very friendly, there was lots to do within a short drive and the staff was always willing to steer us in the right direction.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank MaryB69
Reviewed 2 June 2011

My family and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend and were really disappointed with our stay. The bathrooms were dirty and smelled of sewer. Our children were very unhappy with the amount of adult swims that were through out their swimming day. I can understand 2 adult swims during a day, but more than that is ridiculous. This year they added a Tiki Bar at pool side, which sold frozen smoothies for $3.50/small cup. I thought this was a little high when camping is supposed to be a cheaper alternative vacation for families. The line for the frozen smoothies would be completely empty until the life guard blew his whistle and yelled adult swim. The line would quickly fill up and when you have 4 children in your family at $3.50/drink, this quickly adds up. The campground required everyone in your group to wear wrist bands. While my husband was packing up, I decided to take the children to the pool for the last hour that we were there. My child had lost his paper band and was asked to get out of the pool. When I spoke to the lifeguard he was rude and stated that "it's our rules". I even explained to him that we would be leaving shortly and he didn't even have a heart to let him stay. I then had my child walk to the camp check in to ask for a new bracelet. They would not give him one since he did not have the other one to return to them. Hence the term "LOST". When you check into hotels you are not asked to wear a band to swim in their pool. Where did family camping go?

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank echoingacres

Been to Adventure Bound Washington? Share your experiences!