“Week long trip to DC”

Adventure Bound Washington
Adventure Bound Washington
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I read before coming about the pool issues and a few others and still decided to come. We went with my parents who wanted to stay in Pohick but the water park next to it was not open until the next week so I thought I would overlook the peoples comment's about the pool. Opps!! The pool had no set hours that were abided by. I think that when enough people lined up they would open the gate around 1120ish and close 5 or 6. The bathrooms were clean. The golf coarse was being repaired/not open. Another camper told me that he had been there 2 weeks and the guy/family member would do about half an hour of work and leave. Which I was able to observe for myself and did not get finished on my visit. What supprised me was no one commented on the fact that there is a Trailer Park across the street and you have to wear arm bands while at the park so apparently the TP people stay out....apparently that was not enforced. The pool was the only real issue for me...I dont go into the office or campground store enough to care about that but other campers thought they could keep the store open longer. The DC mall closes mostly at 5 and by the time you get back to the campground from long hot walks the pool was closed. People were nice enough but this out of towner will look somewhere else next visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Final5

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We (my sister, brother, his wife, myself and my husband) stayed at Duncans the first part of June, 2012, for four nights. We stayed there because their web site claimed that they had DC tours from the campgrounds, if you had enough in your group. As I am slightly handicapped, we thought that this would be a better idea than the metro. We pulled in after 6:00PM, so office was closed. When asked about the tour, I was rudely told by the young man working there that I must have read it on the OLD website and not the NEW website, bercause they no longer offer that tour!! When I told him that I had gotten on their website just before talking to him, he insinuated that I was an OLD WOMAN and DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! My husband went back to the RV, brought my ipad over and had to prove to him that I did not lie to him!! He then said that he would have to call someone about updating the website! He NEVER appoligized for the snide things he had said to us...just turned his back to us...until we finally left! They also have a handicapped shower, but it was always locked when I wanted to take a shower. Key is in the office. No shower after 6:00 PM, if you're handicapped!

We are from the midwest, which is known for treating people with kindness.....these people were rude whenever any of us asked a question.....isn't that what they are there for as part of their job??

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Cynthia O
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I was coming on to write some reviews of places we have been over the last year, when I read the reviews on Duncan's family Campground, all I could think was they must have kicked these people out and they are mad. I have been to this campground 4 times over the last two years and let me tell you it is an amazing campground. yes they do close the office at 6pm, what they didn't tell you is they call you personally and let you know where your things will be when they arrive and I can tell you I have been camping for over 30 years and I have never had a place call me to let me know they will be closed when I arrive and give me instructions. Also they didn't say the store/snackbar was open till 10pm and the pool till 9pm every day EXEPT sunday during the summer. God forbid parents entertain their own kids. They have mini golf, two playgrounds three shower/bathrooms which were very very clean. they also have a giant chess game outside, giant chess, shuffleboard and an assortment of other things for kids. We took their shuttle to the metro and it only cost $5.00 per person round trip. The staff is always very willing to make your stay wonderful. We were their in the summer and in october for their Halloween. We will be going back, we already made two reservations their for the 2012 summer.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We booked a week at Duncan's the last week of October 2011. This was my ten year old son's first trip to the DC area. We planned on camping and visiting the sites in Washington. First of all we got there on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 and the office was already closed. As we found our campsite, it was located at the very back at the campground directly next to the sewer. The campground was virtually empty on the side we were assigned but we still had been assigned next to the sewer. The campsite was way too small for our fifth wheel even though we stated our equipment when the reservations were made. There was no gravel on the site. We literally camped in the mud. In addition, the bath houses were not heated. We took showers without heat while the temperatures were in the low 40's. Those campers reviewing Duncan's in a positive manner must have very low standards for their camping experience. Take my advice and choose somewhere else to stay. I would never take my family back to this miserable place..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Yvonne I
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We ended up calling to cancel our reservations for labor day weekend in fear that their power would not be back on after hurricane Irene. I tried calling all week due to the power being shut off. Finally got through on Thursday after making reservations else where and they were not understanding and would not give our deposit back. Very disappointmented but I wouldn't have wanted to swim in a pool that was unfiltered for a week while the power was off.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank thefivepairs
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We were having a family vacation for the first time in DC and thought this would be a great place to stay. In all of our camping party there was a total of twenty-four people. We had three families in travel trailers, one family in a pop-up and one family rented the trailer that was on the property, Duncan's own this travel trailer. We had some great laughs and good times but they were not were because we stayed at the campground. We have all camped before and my first complaint is the lack of friendliness, the overall park was old and dirty. The smell of backuped sewer could not be ignored. It did not occur all the time but when it did the kids went running and sometimes the adults too. We did not like the FACT that the office closes at 6pm during the week and 2PM on Sunday! We have NEVER stayed in a campground were the office closes in the peak season at 2pm. The week we stayed the tempatures were in the 100's it was hot! The pool closed at 6pm on Sunday night!?!?!?!? What is all that about? It is August and what are we to do with a bunch of kids in DC. Most of the attractions in town close early but the point is it is their peak season. We will not be back - hopfully someone will read this at the park because they don't take complaints well. Example I had to use the washer and dryers and only 4 out of 7 dryers worked, they didn't put out of order signs on them. I told them about the dryers and when the girl came out to check if it was really BROKEN she was mad that the sign was removed because she said it had been broken for months. I could go on and on but I won't. I will say my family and I had a great time being together even if it was at Duncan's.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank 532amom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

What a nice campground! We had to change our first reservation at the last minute due to "mechanical" issues. The staff were exceptionally helpful and switched our reservation to later in the month without a problem. When we did camp, we arrived late the first night- the campground has security and their employee not only helped us find our campsite, he stayed and helped hold a flashlight so we could hook up all our lines! It was much appreciated! Everyone was friendly and professional and facilities were clean! We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 104piper

Been to Adventure Bound Washington? Share your experiences!