“My weekend get away to Wades Point”

and 1 more site!
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 McDaniel B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Dumfries, VA
Reviewed 17 July 2006

The staff was nice, friendly and very accommodating to our needs. The room that we reserved didn't look anything like the photos on the web site. We reserved the Honey room, which on the website is a golden honey color. In reality, the room has no honey or even brown color at all. Don't get me wrong the room wasn't bad. It was clean and had a very beautiful view, but just wasn't what we reserved. The grounds of Wades Point are absolutely beautiful. The breakfast, although hot, wasn't that good. I did expect something a little better from a Bed & Breakfast. I would rate it just below a McDonalds... I did learn when looking for a Bed and Breakfast ask for current photos of the room prior to putting the plastic down. My overall rating would have to be a 5 for the room and an 8 for the scenery. I will go to the area again just not back to Wades Point.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 29 June 2006

I think if you read the reviews you get a good idea of the best points--the grounds and the architecture--and the worst points--the paultry breakfast. It seems strange to me that the property wouldn't take note of this one bad point and simply change it. Anyway, we dealt with the breakfast thing and moved along into relaxing outside in hammocks, or kayacking around. It was pretty, peaceful, and the owner was very nice. I noticed the religious stuff here and there, but I didn't find it overwhelming. Kinda "whatever" if you ask me.

But here is one thing that in my opinion is a biggie: They have a flea-bitten, tick-infested stray cat that is a very aggressive begger and the owners dog is always present. I am an animal lover--but not when I am trying to have lunch outside on a picnic table and the scankie cat is jumping up on the table and the dog is yelping non-stop. It was a real drag. And yes, they need to tell their cleaning people that the balconies are part of the room and should be cleaned. Not too much to ask.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank LisaJ7676
Reviewed 7 June 2006

We recently stayed at the Inn for only one night. It truly is a beautiful, quiet and relaxing location that is quite special. The main house is beautiful and the property location is spectacular. We enjoyed relaxing/reading while sitting on the lawn lounge chairs. Nice location to enjoy a bottle of wine. We stayed in the newer building and, although very clean and pleasant, thought the room was nothing really special. The view from the balcony certainly made up for this. I agree that the breakfast was very basic. We arrived about 40 minutes prior to the end of breakfast and seemed to get the last of the scrambled eggs. The muffins were home made and really good. Fruit was good and that was about all of it. We have stayed at many B&B's in Cape May, NJ and this breakfast was so very basic as compared with the Cape May Inns. It was adequate for me because this is all I really want for breakfast but it was skimpy. We stayed our second night in St. Michael's at the Inn at Perry Cabin and it cost us $100 more per night there but is a world apart. I also loved the setting at the Perry Cabin. It was also quiet and tranquil and you could walk everywhere. It is really worth the extra money if you want something special. If you want a totally quiet setting you will love the Wade's Point Inn.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Michelle Anne
Reviewed 19 December 2005

A childhood friend and I stayed at Wade's Point last October for R&R. We both thought it was absolutely perfect. Isolated, magnificent grounds, gorgeous main house, lovely accommodations. We both travel a lot, and we just couldn't think of a way this place could be improved. It was splendid.

• Stayed: October 2005
Reviewed 24 October 2005

I've recently returned from my annual visit to Wades Point Inn in St. Michaels, Maryland--one of my very favorite places. It's actually about 5 miles outside the town, on a point of land with a wraparound view of the Chesapeake Bay. St. Michaels is a great little spot, right on the water--nice restaurants and good shopping in little local stores, with an interesting history and a large marina.

Wades Point Inn is the kind of place to go when you want to totally relax. Thre are no phones in the rooms, and no TV. It's very quiet--you can sit and read a book and look at the water, go for a walk on their nature trail, or bring your fishing rod. There are lots of day trips to take--biking in the area is great, golf is nearby, and they're always happy to make suggestions about other activities in the area. At breakfast, we often find an interesting guest or two to chat with--some we've seen more than once over the years. In the early evening, we fix ourselves a glass of wine, and sit and watch the sun set over the water--then go to dinner in St. Michaels or Tighlman Island, which is down the road--or sometimes just get takeout and continue to enjoy the evening out on the porch.

It has a main house that's old--one of those wonderful places with columns and screened porches. We like the rooms there--some are large and others smaller but newer and with views of the water. There's also a newer building with nice rooms, each with a porch or balcony, and some with kitchenettes, I think. We've always been happy wherever we've had a room.

Wades Point is a place that I always leave feeling rested and completely at peace, wishing it were time to come back again--it's a beautiful, very special spot, and the owner and her staff always make us feel so welcome.

3  Thank Capecodder12
Reviewed 13 October 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Wades Point Inn this past dreary rainy weekend (10/9) for the third time in about five years. We've always stayed in the Mildred Kemp Guest House rather than in the main house, so I can only comment from that perspective. As usual, the grounds are magnificent and the room was great. Our room had a balcony and overlooked the Chesapeake -- with that great view, it was all you could ask for -- except maybe a hair dryer and clock -- but knowing this, we brought our own!

I'm not sure what type of breakfast other reviewers were expecting, but we thoroughly enjoyed the home made muffins (and they are home made). Yeah, the egg thing wasn't great -- never was, but the other offerings more than made up for this shortfall.

The religious pamphlets are still there. Although it's unfortunate and in my opinion, poor judgment, they seem to be mostly confined to the main house sitting room.

I would definitely recommend this inn (and have) to anyone looking for a quiet, restful place to stay. We plan to go back again in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank CasualTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I agree with the other reviewers that the grounds of the Wades Point Inn are quite lovely. The room was average at best.
The breakfast could use help. Lame. It is buffet-style and consists of store-bought muffins, fruit, granola and a bit of bland egg-bake. We felt as if we were taking the last of whatever was being offered. Overall, the pickin's were quite slim and on the second of our two day stay there, we opted to have breakfast somewhere else.
Perhaps our stay would have been less disturbing, had it not been for the religious literature strategically placed about the common areas of the house. In short, this literature was highly offensive to me and my husband. One flyer, referred to by the hostess as "all facts" and "the truth", basically indicated that Christianity is the only way, and that our contury would be in a much better state if only everyone believed the "truth".
Please be advised: if you are not a Christian, you are not welcome at the Wades Point Inn.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near McDaniel
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#1 of 13 in St. Michaels
George Brooks House B&B
George Brooks House B&B
#4 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Wades Point Inn on the Bay? Share your experiences!