“A wonderful weekend getaway!”
Review of Streams and Dreams

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McHenry
Streams and Dreams
Ranked #2 of 2 McHenry B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A wonderful weekend getaway!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Maryland's Garrett county is a beautiful place, with lots of sights worth beholding and lots of fun stuff to do. And a great home base from which to explore the area is the Streams and Dreams BB. We were looking for a place to take a break from the daily routine, somewhere to go to relax and to rejuvenate and a short drive away from Pittsburgh. And that is exactly what we got to do! Dan and Karen's wonderful company, the delicious breakfast, the beautifully decorated rooms, the very picturesque surroundings- all this came to make this getaway a great one! However, we were there in November (by far the worst time to choose) and realized that it would be much more fun in spring/ summer/ fall...we sure hope to come back to strams and dreams and experience those seasons here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had the pleasure of having Dons casting instruction. His expertise is second only to his knowledge and patience.

The setting is beautiful and offers an unbelievable up close view of wild brook and brown trout that is a must see for not only avid fishermen but also for any nature lover.

I highly recommend Streams and Dreams!

• Stayed October 2013
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Although my family did not stay at Streams and Dreams on a recent visit to Deep Creek, I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 1/2 hour visit with Don (and Karen). My father-in-law and I took fly casting lessons from Don and had an opportunity to see spawning Brook trout on this beautiful piece of property. Don is wonderfully engaging instructor who clearly enjoys what he does. Both of us learned a tremendous amount and I highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I simply can't wait until next Spring so I can visit again with Don and Karen at Streams and Dreams in Western Maryland. Their knowledge of how to fly fish in the area is unsurpassed, and the Youghiogheny River is literally outside their door. You won't regret the waffles and extensive library of DVDs and trout books. The close proximity to Deep Creek Lake, but the off-the-beaten path locale makes it an affordable and much more intimate stay than in some nameless resort. And if you're lucky, Don will give you a lesson or two that will improve your casting. One tip - don't forget towels and your cellphone charger if you need to checkin with folks back home. But that shouldn't bother you if you do - the Herschfelds make you feel like you're in your second home.

Room Tip: If you're going solo - the "brookie" room is perfect size, though you'll share a b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Don H, Owner at Streams and Dreams, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We particulary enjoy our solo guests (this one especially, as a fellow angler, although maybe only a third of our guests arrive here with any interest in fishing whatsoever), as Don often flies solo and so LOVES having a good excuse to share a meal either here, or perhaps out at the nearby Mountain State Brewing Company (his/my fav!). Wherever one might go to eat, who wants to dine alone? Just one clarification to mention here... while our littlest room ("The Brookie") is an excellent choice for the solo or budget-minded traveler, It does NOT share its full bath with any other guests. And while offering just enough floorspace, it actually could sleep up to three rather cozy heads on separate pillows (it is very strategically furnished with a 'tri-bunk', plus a fireplace, a love seat, a desk and chair, and a skylight which can be opened to let in the night sounds - every amenity the larher rooms offer). Regardless of the room choice, with so many relaxing and attractive spots both inside and out (regardless of the weather), unless complete privacy is desired, almost none of our guests really spend much or any of their non-sleeping hours within their rooms. We look forward to seeing you again in the spring... early May is magical on the river!
Apollo, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I spent our anniversary weekend at Streams and Dreams and had a wonderful time! This B&B is all about relaxing and enjoying the peaceful natural surroundings. Don and Karen are down to earth and are at your service to make sure that their guests have a great time. The "Brown Room" was spacious, beautifully decorated and provided the sound of the properties stream. We, at times, found it hard to leave our room. The fireplace, private bathroom and full size comfy couch helped also! We enjoyed the wonderful breakfasts that they prepared for us, especially the omelettes. Don was gracious enough to spend time walking us around his and the surrounding property. He provided shuttle service for us when we went kayaking on the Yough. Karen was kind enough to prepare the gazebo for us which was a very peaceful place to read a book and listen to the meandering stream. Don and Karen are also a wealth of knowledge about local attractions and destinations and provide amazing maps! Don's casting lessons are beyond amazing! He knows how to teach in a way that makes it fun and effective. I think he could teach even an experienced fly fisherman a few new tips. At this point I feel like I'm rambling on and on which I probably am! Bottom line is you won't be disappointed! We rated Streams and Dreams 4 out of 5 because Don and Karen had various outdoor projects going on which slightly detracted from the visual aesthetics. This said when these projects are complete it will make the property amazing!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

You can't find more welcoming B&B hosts than Don and Karen. Only needing a quiet place to spend the night at the last minute while on a lengthy car trip, we came upon this sweet, tucked away location. The "Brown room" gave us the pleasure of falling asleep next to a charming little fireplace while listening to the sound of falling water outside our window. We also enjoyed great conversation in their homey living room and a brief complimentary fly fishing lesson. Don's impressive knowledge of fisheries biology and local ecology will bring us back soon.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I had the pleasure of a casting lesson with Don last weekend. I had never handled a fly rod before the lesson, and I have fished with a spin rod only a handful of times in my life. At the conclusion of my lesson with Don, I was casting effectively on his trout pond. Perhaps more importantly, Don's systematic and patient instruction also teaches why certain motions produce an accurate cast, whereas other motions impair accuracy. In addition to enjoying the learning experience, I also enjoyed simply spending a few hours on the beautiful property. Thanks, Don!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near McHenry
The Lodges at Sunset Village
#1 of 2 in McHenry
The Lodge at Wisp
The Lodge at Wisp
#3 of 4 in McHenry

Been to Streams and Dreams? Share your experiences!