“Call first. Website info isn't accurate. Staff poorly trained.”

Adventure Sports Center International
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in McHenry
Baltimore MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Call first. Website info isn't accurate. Staff poorly trained.”
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We drove all the way from Baltimore to McHenry to go to ASCI with our kids based on the information found on the ASCI website. The water wasn't running, and the middle aged lady in the shop said they weren't sure they would be doing an afternoon run because they didn't have "enough" customers to run the pumps. Well, we weren't going to wait around for hours to see if they were gonna run the water, so we spent the day hiking around Swallow Falls. Don't offer stuff on your website as available when in fact it is not. Don't post hours that you're not going to keep.

5 Thank EdgarCayce

Houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paddling at the Wisp Resort-ASCI”
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My family had a good experience at ASCI. We were there to participate in the Open National Competition for White Water Slalom in August, 2008. The folks at ASCI had arranged to provide some dedicate slalom practice times on the river, as well as the opportunity to practice at the same time that the rivier raft trips were being conducted. The staff was very cordial and accomodating, and everyone appeared to have a good time, on and off the river. The safety staff (on the riverbank) were attentive and well equiped, should someone get injured. There was a small food cafe open for lunch (+/-), but the picken's were kinda slim.

We understood going in that the river would only be available at certain times (the pumps are expensive to run), and that some extra thought to coordination of paddling times was necessary. I'd recommend a phone call or two to check the schedule as your arrival time approaches. (We travelled about 1300 miles to get there.)

1 Thank PaddlerHouston
Hyattsville, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bad management”
Reviewed 15 September 2008

A group of friends and I have planned to spend a day on this controlled river. We have made reservations for the weekend (as they tell you on a website - 48 hours in advance), planned to come there Saturday night, sleep over at the hotel, do the river, then come back. We live in Maryland, in between Baltimore and Dc, so the drive up there was at least 3 hours long. They tell you to arrive at the place 30 min before the lesson starts, so had we not come up Saturday night, we should've left around 6a.m. to get there on time. Sunday morning, 8:00a.m., I was still sleeping when I get a cell phone call. The message left on the phone said that our appointment has been moved to 2p.m.. Period. No apologies, no explanation. Surprized and disappointed, we arrived at the ASCI around 10-30a.m. to figure out what was going on. The manager told us that apparently there was a scheduling mistake: our kayaking lessons were scheduled at the same time as boy scouts competition and there was no way for us to get on a river before 2p.m. The manager was not accommodating at all, she refused to take into account that we had to reserve hotel and that we actually planned for a whole day on the river, not just two hours in the afternoon. She offered us either come back some other time (spend time and money on driving, planning, hotels, gas again) or take a refund. At some point she even accused me of lying and scheming to get a free ride. After such inadequate reception, I preferred to take my money back and leave, so did the people I was with. The river may be great and everything, but I did not feel like this company cared about its customers and reputation at all.

4 Thank lynxoid7