Washington DC / Capitol KOA
  • Room Service
US$119
Fairfield Inn
US$92
Element Arundel Mills(Hanover)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$101
US$84
SpringHill Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport(Hanover)(Great Value!)
US$131
Hotels.com
US$257
US$203
Residence Inn
All reviewsgreat campgroundchess setping ponggas grilllaundry roompicnic tablesbouncy pillowfree wififire ringcabinshuttleessentialsponiesprivacyrvslifeguardssink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I just got back from a 4 night stay in our tent. The staff was so pleasant and friendly. We are already thinking about going back with friends. The campground is well maintained. They seem to accommodate you when ever possible. There is a shuttle into DC for only $12.50 per person round trip. Great value. We paid for the Trolley Tour, $47.50 per person. Big waste of money for us. We ended up only getting on one time. Other campers told me the same thing. But others liked it. The camp store is small but has most essentials. Only problem I saw was the toilet paper in the ladies room (the one further away from the office) never seemed to be replaced.

Room Tip: If you want to connect to the campground's wifi don't unpack until you make sure you can get a signal.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kat333
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed here last year in a cabin and it was so much fun we had to come back. Unfortunately I picked the weekend of the Annapolis Boat show, so all of the cabins were booked. This time I brought a travel trailer. After checking in, they let me change my site and even helped me sort out a minor electrical gremlin I had with a GFI. My kids had fun watching the movie in the pavilion. See you next year!

Room Tip: I like the woods!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank HayabusaSilly
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Coming from Baltimore, we had called KOA DC and asked for directions. Simply follow I-95 was the answer. Very puzzled we find ourselves confronted wtih US 40 East or West? Tired as we were, we got the wrong one and lost an added half hour. Asked and confirmed for a 50 Amp site, there is a 30 Amp. The High Rate of $65.00 is explained by the fact that this is still High Season.
Yet: The Swimming pool is closed due to "Off-Season" . The bathroom is not extremely clean and the Staff checklist ensuring cleanliness is blank. Now it appears that I committed a terrible crime by complaining about these shortcomings to the woman I had spoken to over the phone. I surely did not smile, being exhausted and rather disgusted, but never use bad language nor threaten anybody.
Half an hour later, the assistant Manager pounded at our door, holding the returned credit receipts in his hands and shouting that we had to leave. I told him my health was not good, and would leave only if he endorsed responsibility for any health consequencies.
He refused to do so but called the police. Three of them arrived and declared that he was entitled to refuse my presence! Regardless of my health. I can imagine that this was life under communist regime and it explains, why it did not survive. Cherry Hill Park is so much nicer, cheaper and open all year round!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Raymond P
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We just returned from a stop over at the Capitol KOA in Millersville. We travel with a 21 foot travel trailer and have visited several KOA's in Canada and the USA. The purpose of this stop was to spend a few days visiting the Smithsonian, a few days relaxing by the pool and a day of back to school shopping. After being rocked by the DC Quake and chased by Hurricane Irene we managemed to accomplish are goals in part and had a great time even with the catasrophese.

The campground is well maintained. We were on a full service pull through site. We had no trouble accessing it and the services were well positioned for easy hook up. The sites were nestled in the forest with a few trees found between sites at least giving the illusion of privacy. The campground store was clean but small any groceries or supplies required were generally purchased off property. The washrooms and laundry were clean and adequate for our needs. The pool is a small rectangular pool and there is other recreation available including ping pong and a giant chess set. There are two nature trails on site but we did not get an opportunity to enjoy them on this trip.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating at that location. One member in particular, "Sparky" helped to make our trip memorable and was always very attentive to any needs we had.

Our dissatisfaction with the location comes from the dishonest approach management takes to marketing the campground. They advertise that they provide a shuttle for a 20 minute ride into the Capitol attractions. First off 20 minutes is an outright lie. At highway speeds and no traffic the drive would be 45 minutes, at the time it actually travels the commute is an hour plus. To me when a resort advertises that the provide shuttle service it generally indicates two things... One it is a free service meant to augement your stay and secondly that it runs routinely. Neither of these things are true. The shuttle is twelve dollars per person each day you wish to use it and it only runs once in each direction leaving at 0900 and returning at 1630. With the hour commute in, this provides you with less then 6.5 hours to tour all of the attractions on Capitol Hill. They also neglect to tell you that if they do not sell enough seats the bus will be cancelled, this was not an issue for us as the bus was full each day.

We were also disappointed to find out that while they advertised that the pool was open until Labour Day they neglect to tell you that for the last two weeks of the summer the hours are restricted to after 4pm. Maryland students are in school. There laws require a lifeguard at the pool and none of their adult staff have bothered to become certified so the pool is closed while the sun is shining and you are most looking to enjoy the cool water.

The main local attraction is clearly visiting the Capitol. And what we saw of it we truly enjoyed. For me it was incredible to stand at the Air and Space museum next to the Wright Bothers Kitty Hawk. Realizing that this was the actual plane that launched flight was awe insipring. I think if you ask my wife she will tell you that admiring the Hope Diamond was one of her highlights. If you are going to do this attraction consider your travel options. Driving into the Capitol is not really an option at $15.00 per hour for parking. The shuttle worked ok for us but at $12 a head and only 6 hours to tour it lacked value for our entertainment dollar. Next time I will consider using the local subway system. It is $4 to park and about $8 per person but it allows you to travel on your schedule and has severl stops along the Capitol Mall. We also utilized the Tourmobile while at the Capitol. That came as a package deal so we paid $57 for adults and $41 for children to cover both the KOA shuttle and the on site Tourmobile. For us this ended up being a waste of money as our main objective was the Smithsonian buildings which were all within short walking distance of the shuttle drop off point. If you are interested in attending the monuments and Arlington Cemetary then the Tourmobile has greater value but be warned the trip to Arlington is a minimum 3 hour round trip.

If, like us, you are also hoping to do some outlet shopping while travelling in the States the local shops are not what you are looking for. We had researched Outlet Malls and found that Arundel MIlls boasts an Outlet mall with 200 shops within 20 minutes of the KOA. This location is in no way an outlet. It is a standard mall. The shops are all full price stores offering their "current" merchandise. There were some seasonal sales to be had and my wife enjoyed some of the shoe stores but other then that we found little of value at this location. Luckily on our way South for this vacation we had run into bad weather in Hagerstown Maryland so had spent a day at thier Outlet Mall where we were able to get most of our back-to-school shopping done.

Despite our issues with this location we will return to the area some day as we hope to see much more to the Smithsonians 17 buildings, all of which were free to enter! We will stay at the KOA again as we were happy with the amenities but we will utilize the subway system for travel rather then depending on the KOA shuttle.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Routh_Family
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Was a little concerned about the number of negative reviews on this place, but this was a typical KOA. As you would expect from a KOA near DC, the spots are a little cramped. However, the facilities are well kept, the staff friendly and helpful and you can't beat the daily shuttle to DC and Baltimore. I think anyone who typically stays at a KOA will be well satisfied with this one.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family