“Lots of fun”

Ladew Topiary Gardens
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Monkton
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I'd read about this place for years but never managed to get there. It really is very interesting. I really liked the house tour, as it was a glimpse into a different kind of life--my experience with fox hunting and the country gentry life is pretty limited. The gardens are beautiful, and we enjoyed a good bowl of soup in the cafe.

All reviews
"magnifying glasses"
"two hours"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Ladew Gardens is a quiet delightful garden. I love the fact that there are formal as well as natural gardens, especially the garden "rooms". The topiary fox hunt is of course the iconic symbol of Ladew.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I read on their website that they were named "one of the top 5 Gardens in North America - April 2012," so I was anxious to see what all the fuss was about. I've been to several gardens and arboretums in the local area, and after visiting this place, while not completely awful, I must say it's far from the top 5 - I'd not even put it at the top 20! The pictures on their website are stunning, but that wasn't what we saw when we visited.
I did not take the house tour ($13 for house & gardens - $10 gardens only) because I wanted to focus on the topiary, and unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. Most of the topiary (which wasn't much) was in need of a trim, and in some cases it was so overgrown that at times you couldn't figure out what it was representing. Both house and gardens are on the National Register of Historic Places and the gardens, minus the topiary, are worth seeing, especially the way Mr. Ladew organized the plants and trees in different sections.
We visited in September (open Apr-Oct), which was a beautiful sunny, but humid day, with lovely late summer plants, but I'm sure the Spring must even more beautiful, I just hope they take the time and do some Spring cleaning and make the place a bit more manicured and impressive.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I remember it being a beautiful place. My family loved it, my friends loved it, but personally I just wanted to sit down and get out of the heat.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 September 2012

A scenic ride to a beautiful venue in gorgeous Hartford County. Staff is friendly and well informed; docent tour of the house was great! An interesting glimpse into the lives of artists, fox hunts, and the royal family. Take a summer picnic with you. Great venue for any age. I plan to take out of town visitors knowing they will enjoy it.Use the Maryland Tourist Passport for BOGO tickets.