“Wonderful getaway!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Savage
The Castle Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Savage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My family drove past the Castle 3 years ago while visiting the Cumberland and Frostburg areas. I said "What's that?" and when I found out (I think by doing an internet search after we returned home) it was a bed and breakfast, decided I wanted to stay there someday. The time finally came this year!

The occasion was my birthday, and it was an overnight getaway with my husband. From some of the reviews here, I was a little worried what we might find. But I adored the place.

Yes, it is a little run-down on the outside - there are areas of broken tiles on the patio, cracks in the mortar, missing piers in the stone railings surround the patios. I found it charming, but I can see how others might not. Our room, however, was gorgeous, and I can't imagine anyone thinking differently - we stayed in the Ramsey room, with a king-sized bed, 2 rugs on the floor, luxuriously decorated, bathroom with shower stall (no tub), 8' tall windows with one looking back into the garden area (the other window's view was not as nice, looking onto the roof of the patio below and a tree that looked dead; though to the far right you could see some of the nearby mountains) . I liked that there was no TV in the room and poor cell phone reception didn't bother me at all - it WAS supposed to be a 'getaway,' after all. My sole complaint with the room is that unfortunately the window air conditioner (which we needed the night we were there) kept the shutters on that window from being fully closed, and consequently the sun woke me up earlier in the morning than I would have preferred. Would have easily been taken care of if I had remembered to pack my sleep mask.

We arrived in the late afternoon, around 4:30 PM. We walked in, and Tony walked out of the kitchen area and greeted us. He gave us a short tour of the formal dining room (where breakfast is served) & the parlor (where guests are free to hang out, relax, converse, etc) on the ground floor and then the library (which houses the only TV in the place, a small selection of DVD's, some reading material (books and magazines) and some board games) and the self-serve 'kitchette' (for after-hour snack attacks; includes a coffee maker, microwave and microwave popcorn, and other assorted snacks) on the second floor. The guest rooms are also on the second floor, so at this point we were shown ours and given the keys to the room and the front door (locked after about 6:30 PM, so late arrivals should make arrangements ahead of time). After we had a short conversation with Tony about our dinner plans, we did not see the owners again until the next morning. We ate a picnic dinner that we had brought with us on the patio, wandered the garden and grounds, and retired early.

The next morning, we met Judi. She asked if we wanted to eat in the dining room, or outside on the patio. Walking outside, it was a gorgeous, low-humidity morning, and so we elected to eat outside. We were offered tea, coffee, or juice (orange or cranberry) to drink and then fruit as the first course. The main course, cooked by Tony, was a delightful stack of heart-shaped pancakes with a sunny-side up egg in between two of them and 2 strips of bacon in between another two. After breakfast, we packed up, but couldn't find the owners to say goodbye and I felt kinda weird about leaving without saying something (Judi had asked at breakfast if we wanted the room put on the credit card we had reserved with, so we were OK in that regard). Luckily, we did see Tony on the way out working on the grounds, and were able to thank him for making our stay very nice, indeed.

I don't know if we'll ever make a trip back to this area, as there are SOOOO many places on our list of things to see, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank smm628
There are newer reviews for The Castle Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 2 March 2013

In November I attempted to make a reservation with this bed and breakfast I found over the internet. The third party website did not link me to the hotel website but gave me an email. The owner Judi took down my credit card information but did not give me a reservation becuase she did not respond to my emails. She then proceeded to charge me for a night that I did not stay there. When I called the owners they were very rude and told me that I have to go to my credit card company to fight them. I even offered to them to actually stay a night (because that is what I wanted) and I would be willing to pay but they refused. After disputing the credit card bill they made false claims and accusations and falsified emails sent to me. The lied to the Better Business Bureau. They threatened to take me to court for $165.

I have never seen any person in my life this adamant about getting their $165 to the extent they were willing to go to in lies. I had to contact the identity theft department at my credit card company for fear that they would make additional charges on my credit card.

I am contemplating small claims action to get my money back. The owners are terrible people and are thieves. I couldn't image wanting to stay at a place like this again. Your customers are supposed to be number one.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Rockviller
Reviewed 25 November 2012

My husband and I just returned from a one-night stay at this romantic, lovely bed and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We paired the visit with drives through charming historic Frostburg and Cumberland and the Castle Bed and Breakfast was the perfect place for our little getaway. We stayed in the St. Andrew's room, with queen-size bed with crisp, high-quality linens, fireplace, adjoining bathroom and plush towels. The proprietors, Judi and Tony, took wonderful care of us through the generous Thanksgiving feast they served through the amazing gourmet breakfast we enjoyed in the morning (still daydreaming about the stunning pumpkin Napoleon, croissants with hollandaise sauce, and selection of teas!). I would suggest potential guests keep in mind that the Castle is like staying in someone's elegant, beautifully appointed home - it is not a slick corporate entity like a hotel or a motel, but we enjoyed our stay immeasurably more because of this. Super relaxing, super romantic, a lovely place for our little escape and only a scant two hours from DC and one hour from spectacular Fallingwater and the Usonian houses of Frank Lloyd Wright. Can't wait to come back during the fall foliage or late spring.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sscales
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My wife an I arrived a little late but before 7 pm for our two day getaway. Something we needed to do for a long time. When we entered the owners were not around so we looked around before going to our room. We noticed a dog hair brush on the kitchen counter...intant turn-off. Also place was a bit dingy. We proceeded up the stairs to our room and my wife got more upset. The place was filthy, we had dead stink bugs all over our floor and the place smelled of mold. We looked out the window from our room to see what was supposed to be a beautiful garden and saw a bunch of weeds. We left the room and went to the garden to see first hand how horrific this place was. It was and EXTREME disappointment. My wife anted to leave so we did. We went to Gettysburg and spent the night in a motel that was 1/3 of the price and much better. I was going to put my credit card on hold since we paid a deposit for the first night but since we left I didn't think that i would be charged for the 2nd night. To my dismay the owner billed us for both nights and did absolutely nothing.......OVER $400.00.....NEVER would I recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: not this place
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My husband and I were looking for a special 40th Anniversity...we had a wonderful, fantastic time and the Castle. From the second we arrived to the time we left we were treated to a romantic room, wonderful kindness and friendship from Judi and Tony. The food and hospitality was exceptional and that's an understatement!!! It was an experience of a lifetime! Anyone who does not have a great time at The Castle isn't capable of having a good time anywhere! Can't wait to return in October.

Room Tip: Rooms have their own character..you need to match.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harley146
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Sorry that it is so negative but very cold, smelly place. Food was just OK. Bostaph Productions did a Murder Mystery that was the most amateurish show ever seen. Could not recommend the place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank janjan123
Reviewed 12 October 2010

On Oct 1st & 2nd 2010 we stayed at The Castle to celebrate our anniversary. It was more than we could have imagined. The Castle is nestled in the hillside in Mt. Savage with scenic views all around. We stayed in The Munday Suite. It was elegant and relaxing with a sitting room and private bath. The Host & Hostess, Tony & Judi, are delightful and went to all extremes to make sure our stay was relaxing and memorable. We definitely have plans to return again it is well worth the trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Cumberland
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to The Castle Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!