“Great for a beach fix close to DC”
Review of North Beach

North Beach
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great for a beach fix close to DC”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I was set on going to the beach, but only had a weekend free. All the major beaches, Rehoboth, Jersey, Ocean City, MD would take us over 2 hours to get to, and most hotels were either sold out, or cost over 300 dollars a night for something like a room at the holiday inn. North Beach was perfect for a quick beach fix. There are some cute shops and restaurants along the water. It IS pricy to get on the beach- but when you factor in travel time, proximity to home, and gas costs with what we would've spent to go to a larger beach for the day- it was reasonable. There is a municipal parking lot right on chesapeake road that is Free. We got a nice spot right near the water, and for the first 90 minutes, our kids7,4 and 3 just played in the sand and splashed in the water while my husband and I relaxed in beach chairs. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've done that. Then they played in the pirate ship for a while. It's a small beach- but it's nicely contained, so great if you have small kids. There is only one way in and out in the area we were sitting, and the water is calm and shallow. There were signs up warning of jellyfish- luckily no one got stung, but they do have vinegar there if you need it. I wish we had brought our bikes. There is a nice path next to the "boardwalk" that again, is great for families with small kids. It's only for bikes so you don't have to worry about your kids running people over, or getting run over by cars! If you like quaint beach towns- this is a good place to go.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank LovetoTrvl20

Fairfax, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“ridiculously expensive”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were visiting Chesapeake Beach and wandered up to North Beach to check it out. I was wondering if I would bring my family for a day but not at those prices! Wow. Guess it's their strategy to keep the beach empty for residents. No thanks. The pier however seemed pretty nice. We might try to fish there sometime. It was 5 dollars per pole.

Visited July 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't go. They don't want you there.”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Nearly $50 for my young family of five to sit on your tiny beach and wade in your murky water? You've got to be kidding me! I agree with the previous poster that Chesapeake Beach clearly doesn't want to share their beaches with outsiders so they just jacked up the prices until we stopped coming. If I were a local business, I'd be furious. My family used to frequently drive down for the day, stop at one of the farm stands on the way into town, grab some sundries at the general store, spend the day at the beach, then grab dinner at Neptune's or a crab shack, and cap it off with ice cream cones. It made for a lovely day out. But with their new outrageous fees, we won't be coming anymore. Congratulations, CB: your evil plan worked. Let's just hope your local business survive all the solitude.

Visited September 2012
11 Thank Globe-toddling
Virginia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Tourists and guests stay away!!!!”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

That's really what the town is telling us when they charge $12 per adult $8 per child between May and October just to step foot on their beach. Only North Beach residents are free. Even county residents are charged way too much.

The beach isn't even that big. There's plenty of parking though - because no one is willing to pay that kind of money to sit on a beach!!

Go somewhere else and save your money.

Visited May 2013
11 Thank brianbva
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“polar bear swim on the 1-jan evry year”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

the polar bear swim on news day always bring people out to watch people plunge in to the icy cold water

Visited July 2012