“Convenient, nice place to spend a night”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in North East
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
“Convenient, nice place to spend a night”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My friend and I went to a show near Baltimore which ended fairly late, and we were both too tired to make the drive all the way back to PA. He checked his Choice Hotels account and found that he had enough points for a free night...well, nothing beats free! We arrived around 1:30 am and were checked in quickly and efficiently. The room was very spacious and clean, and the bed was oh so comfortable. Because we arrived so late, we asked for and received a late check-out time, so we were able to sleep in, get up in time for the included breakfast and even head to the pool and hot tub.

The breakfast attendant was extremely attentive! She kept everything filled and as soon as someone walked out she would hurry to clear the tables. There were the usual yogurts, cold cereals, hard boiled eggs and breads, bagels, danish, but also sausage, mini-omelettes and hot biscuits along with that make-your-own-waffle machine.

There were only two things that kept me from giving this 5 stars. I tried to get into the hot tub, but the water seemed extremely hot. The poster on the wall said that the hot tub should be no more than 104 degrees, but I felt like a lobster about to take that last slide. I sat on the edge and managed to get my legs in there for a few minutes but had to get out. There was no thermometer anywhere that I could see to verify the water temperature.

The only other issue I had was the TV. Neither of us could figure out how to make it work. We could turn it on, and that was it. Nothing we did would change the channel. We decided not to bother.

Other than that, the room, as I said, was clean and comfortable, and it is very close to I-95. Afterwards we took a side trip down to Elk Neck and Turkey Point to see the magnificent Chesapeake Bay.

One caution: it's a bit tricky to get into the driveway for the hotel. We went right past it! You must turn into the Flying J convenience area and pass through it to get there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 December 2011

While there are non-smoking rooms in the hotel, they are intermingled throughout the hallway with the smoking rooms. The hallways smell so much of cigarette smoke that I could hardly leave my room. There was even a slight haze in the hallway from the smoke coming out of the smoking rooms. Walking through the hazy hallways left my eyes burning and my tongue numb from the smoke.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Steve H
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The guy at the front desk was not exactly impolite, but he wasn't particularly welcoming or charming either. Very no nonsense, which is what some people like I guess. He was able to find me a room fairly close to another family member who was getting his own room in the hotel. My room was huge and had a separate sitting area with a television. This was nice, but the room looked a bit tired and dated, and it had a slight dusty or mothball kind of smell. It wasn't exactly unclean, but it seemed like it could use some freshening up. I checked for bed bugs, as I always do, and it was all clear. The room was only about $60, so I wasn't expecting a lot, and I got about what I expected. There was a mini fridge in the room and a good liquor store across the street with a good selection of beer, and a fairly decent wine selection. The continental breakfast in the morning could use some work, in my opinion. The people I was traveling with said they liked it, but I didn't agree. It was basically powdered eggs and sausage gravy on biscuits. The biscuits were pretty OK, but the gravy seemed instant. I'd take a pass and opt for the cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt they offer. There were not many choices of fruit, however, tiny oranges and a couple of bananas. I rated the hotel "average" because it's what you would expect from a budget hotel just off the exit from the Interstate. Other than the liquor store, and a travel plaza (mainly used by truck drivers) there isn't much in the area. I think there was a Bob Evans or similar type of restaurant in the same building as the convenient store and gas station. I also gave the room "average" because what it lacked in updating, it gained in size. I rated it lower than average for cleanliness, but I admit I am a bit fastidious.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Bel Air, Md
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I was recently at this hotel for a women's retreat. The location was convenient and easy to find, with ample parking. We were told the hotel was recently renovated; everything was modern and fresh looking. The staff was fine; not overly friendly but they did respond quickly to any of our requests. There is no elevator, so ask the desk clerk to carry your bags..he did so willingly. The facility was very clean...yeah! The room was well decorated, clean and roomy enough for the 2 of us sharing. We liked that the sinks were outside of the toliet/shower area, as this made it easy for both of us to get ready more quickly. The bed was a bit too squishy for me and the pillows were small and square, making if difficult to really grab on and get comfy.There were 4 pillows per bed, but this is not something I would want to sleep on again...be sure to bring your favorite pillow. There was a pool, which was small but looked nice and clean. They serve a standard chain-hotel-type breakfast, but the items were fresh and they did keep my stomach from grumbling! If you want more, there is a Denny's w/i walking distance. You are only 10 min from dowtown North East and about 20 min from Havre De Grace. North East has antique stores and cute shops. Havre De Grace has the same, but is larger and is right on the water..very nice! If in Havre De Grace, be sure to stop at Bomboy's for to-die-for-chocolates made on the premises.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel during a visit to the Havre de Grace Seafood Festival. While the hotel is 10 miles from Havre de Grace it is close to the shops and restaurants in North East, MD and the new Hollywood Casino in Perryville, MD. The room we stayed in was basic, but it was large and comfortable. There is a business center in the front lobby, an enclosed swimming pool, and they serve a small breakfast buffet. I highly recommend going to Steak & Main for a nice dinner or Woody's for seafood and crabs. Both restaurants are located a few miles away in North East, MD.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Nutley, NJ
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel recently as a place to crash while picking up my son from Boy Scout Camp. Easy to get to. Check in was friendly. Pool was really clean. Room was clean. Beds were comfy. And, cheaper than the hotel across the street (which I was originally booked to stay at). Quite often, I'll book a hotel, and then as it gets closer, I'll recheck prices and do what I have to do to save $$. Sometimes the savings aren't worth it. This time, it absolutely was. Oh, and the breakfast. Your basic continental breakfast. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either. AND, it had a waffle maker. Kids love that thing!! We'll be back next year :-)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 15 June 2011

After a negative experience at the Holiday Inn Express nearby, my husband and I ended up at the Comfort Inn and Suites. The room was $99 for the night, even though we were checking in at 3am. The rate was reduced to $89 with a AAA discount. The young woman at the front desk was pleasant. She wasn't sure if the pillows were down/feather free though--indicating that was information she didn't have? She directed us to our room on the second floor. A major downfall, there are no elevators, so bringing luggage up the stairs posed a bit of a challenge even for us 30-somethings! The room itself was freezing with the A/C up full blast when we came in. We lowered it, but it remained pretty cold all night. The beds were relatively comfortable and the bedroom area seemed clean. The turn-off was the bathroom with dim lighting and mildew stains/smell throughout. The sinks are outside of the bathroom and seemed relatively clean. As the title of this review states, the room served it's purpose for us to get some sleep. We did not shower there, however, given the appearance of the shower/bathroom and knowing we were traveling to another, nicer hotel in Columbia, Maryland. There were two men at the front desk upon checkout who were also friendly. When we shared that the smoke detector was missing from the room they were apologetic, but that was about it. If we are in the area again, maybe we'll try the Best Western!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton
La Quinta Inn & Suites Newark - Elkton
Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!