“A nice retreat”

Elk Neck State Park
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This park hAs it all. Camping, Fishing, crabbing, boating and some great views. The lighthouse trail is definitely a must. I launch my boat here and the ramps are great and not crowded. It puts you within some awesome views of the Cheseapeake. Just to sit on the Dock alone is heaven! Its inexpensive to park your car in the Rogue Harbor area. A cheap day out and one you won't forget.

4  Thank TUCKY142

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Mostly we went to look for birds, and found quite a few along the shore of the bay. They also have campgrounds and a boat launch area.

2  Thank Bern666
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The park's website has actual pictures of each site. And the ranger on the phone was very helpful in finding a level one for our RV. We did lots of hiking. The forest has so many old poplar trees. They are huge. We were hoping to see eagles, but we were a little early in the season.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Rent the cabins, felt secluded....nice trails...weather was horrible so I was glad to have the cabin. Turkey Point awesome.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have stayed at Elk Neck State Park (specifically in the ELK LOOP) several times because it is extremely pet friendly and the improved camping sites (a mix of RVs and tents) are very nice. It also has fairly good access to trails and activities. However the community facilities (bath house / restrooms) are atrocious. I know that it is the "outdoors" and "wilderness" however we are a camping family and have enjoyed camping at state parks up and down the eastern U.S. This is by far the worst state park we have ever stayed at in regards to the community facilities. The showers are covered in every insect imaginable and the mold in the rafters is extremely bad. The plumbing is in serious need of updating / cleaning. Both of my daughter made comments that they would rather pee in the woods than to use the bathrooms. As the improved trails are covered in poison ivy / poison sumac, there has not been a single trip that we have not all come back without some form of rash. Unfortunately I do not recommend this park for an extended family stay and I would highly suggest only going in the cooler weather where long pants and sleeves are more comfortable.

3  Thank Chris R