“An Oasis off 95”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in North East
Barton
“An Oasis off 95”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

After battling heavy traffic which often came to a standstill through the Washington, DC area on our trip from the South, we were happy to see a sign in the dark of for a Holiday Inn Express. It was late so my granddaughter and I did not use the pool or exercise facilities but each logged on to our computers and then went to sleep. In the morning, as the hotel guests all lamented the ordeal of the previous day's drive at breakfast and our dread of hitting 95 again, those experienced with the routes and alternatives shared their expertise. There was an old-fashioned homey feel as we enjoyed breakfast together. As we left, we needed batteries and were directed to Wal-mart nearby.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I travel all the time for business and this was one of my worst experiences ever. First, they gave me a smoking room when I confirmed my American Express Reservasion was for non-smoking. I called the front desk and am a Priority Club member but they said they were sold out of non-smoking - but the parking lot was not that full. The odor was horrible in the room with everything brown from smoke. Beyond this, the rooms are EXTREMELY noisy from the major road next to the hotel. Constant traffic at 1 AM and the windows were pathetic. The bedding and pillows were very old and lumpy. I've had good experiences at other Holiday Inn expresses but there is good reason this one is poorly rated and it will be a long time if ever that I'll stay at another property that I'm not familiar with. The Company should step in to address this poorly managed hotel that is tarnishing its name.

Room Tip: Stay away from the noisy main road.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I hate this hotel for 2 main resons- 1) all the doors slam & echo down the hall. I heard about 50 door slams from 9pm-10:30pm alone, more around midnight, then again around 5am etc. 2) I left a personal pillow on the end of the bed with a unique pillow case, a second allergy barrier case and a baby blanket stuffed between the 2 cases. When I called the next day to ask if they'd found it they said they couldn't find it- talked to multiple managers etc who basically called me a liar- saying I couldn't have left it there because they always put things in lost & found. My family will never stay here again & frankly this stay turns me off of Holiday Inn in general.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda W
Reading Pa
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I'd recommend the hotel highly. Room was clean and up to date, the staff was pleasant the location was just were we wanted to be. The only negative was the Hot Tub wasn't working and being fixed. We spent a nice evening in North East Md had a great meal at Woodies then walked across the street and spent a nice evening at the Pub listening to some Jazz and had a few drinks it was a great weekend.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We drove 950 miles & stayed here for several nights last week due to a death in the family. The staff gave exceptional customer service, were very pleasant & professional. The room was very clean & the bed was comfortable. Great location, close to I-95 & reasonably priced. Would definitely stay there again & highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the North East, MD area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I arrived to the hotel driving from Ohio around 12:00 PM on July 30th. At the front desk, Jay Desai, the hotel manager, asked me for my name. When I gave him my name, he said that my smoking room was ready. I said to him that I did not want a smoking room. He said that the reservation came as a smoking room and because this came through Priceline.com there was nothing he could do. He then said that he was looking for a room that did not smell like cigarette too much. Then he gave me the key.

When I entered the room, is smelled really bad. I called Priceline and told them what happened. They asked me to go back to the front desk and have the manager call them.

I went back to the front desk and asked Jay to call Priceline. With a little hesitation he called. As he was waiting for Priceline on the phone, he said that he just received a cancellation for a non-smoking room. He asked me if I wanted a one king bed of two queen bed room. I said two. Now all this time I'm thinking that he is just going to switch rooms since the smoking room was already paid. He looked at me dead in the face and said that it was an additional $45.00 and some change. (Smoking and non-smoking room rates are the same.) I could not believe what I heard. He kept on insisting that, because I got a discounted rate through Priceline, there was nothing that he could do.

When the Priceline representative answered the phone, he immediately told him that I wanted a refund. I did not want a refund, I wanted a non-smoking room. He did not even try to talk Priceline to see if they could get me a non-smoking room.

He got Priceline to agree to give me a refund. I gave him the key, and he said that he was sorry for what happened but, again there was nothing that he could do.

Here are some thoughts:

1. I'm not aware if Holiday Inn Express Hotels are franchises, like McDonnalds, where they have an owner, but operate under the name of the for the name brand holder. I this is the case, I could understand why Jay would be so upset for me cheating him, personally, of the $45.00 discount I got. He may have a family to feed and $45.00 can come in handy. However, if the above is the case, I would suggest for him to stop the relationship with Priceline.com or any other discount service. Then he would not have his day ruined by somebody like me who is trying to stay at his hotel at a discount.

2. If Jay is not the owner the hotel, but an employee of Holiday Inn Express, then he should have switched the smoking room to a non-smoking room what it became available. Thus providing excellent customer service.

3. If Holiday Inn as a company does not like to give discounts through Priceline.com, Hotwire and such, then they should end their relationship with these companies and avoid leaving potential direct guests without a room to stay after driving 8 hours.

As a result, I had to go to drive to several hotels in the area to get a room. Finally, I was able to stay in a non-international-recognized-hotel named New Eastern Inn Elkton, MD who provided me with the excellent customer service that was lacking in Jay.

Perhaps Holiday Inn should send Mr. Desai in an internship to New Eastern Inn so he can learn a few things. I can provide address and phone number if interested.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank linuxfreak
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2010

when I looked for this site to write a review, I start reading the older ones..and was shocked...all the reviews was bad...I thank my god that I didn't read it before booking
This Holidayinn is very clean and comftrable...the room was very nice, well decorated, the beds was very clean, the bathroom, nice with natural stone, well mentained
The Breakfast was the best that I had in travelling hotels - motels...It's not like a five stars hotel..but its much better that all the others in this industry
We enjoyed the Pool and the Jackuzi..and Sauna too

The only two things that I can say is the noise from the highway...and the courtains...the should put longer and wider ones so you can make the room darker and not wake up so early

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Hampton Inn Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North East? Share your experiences!