“Do not stay here!”

Suites at Silver Tree
Clifton, Virginia, United States
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 10 anniversary. After 10PM there is NO SECURITY. We were disturbed by a crowd in the hall (10PM – 4PM) and was threatened when we asked them to go into their rooms. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Leslie H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Laurel, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Would recommend this place to ANYONE. Friends have stayed here. I saw the rooms firsthand, before I ever booked one. Exactly what you see on the webiste is what you get. Rooms are nice. Employees are always friendly and courteous. More affordable if you are not alone for a stay here...

Room Tip: No pool or hot tub. Could use both, to make it even more enjoyable.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Davidsonville, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had a family getaway here last summer and while there were good things about the property, I would probably try something else the next time we go to Deep Creek. With 3 boys, we wanted a suite so that we could spread out a bit. Our lake view suite with loft was nice and big. However, in order to maximize the number of lake view rooms, the suites are very long and narrow. There is just one window in each room, which leads to the feeling of being in a long, dark cave. Since these are privately-owned units that are rented out by the hotel, the decor of your room depends on your owners' tastes. Our owners did nothing to brighten the space. There is a beach in front of the hotel, but it is rocky and not really conducive to swimming or even lounging. There is a really nice deck in front of the hotel where you can sit out and look at the lake. However, with no bar or table service, you need to walk next door to the restaurant to grab a drink (and you have to get a drink in a plastic cup if you want to take it back to the hotel deck). We noticed lots of other guests who had brought their own appetizers, wine and glasses. Since we had not planned for this, we were stuck drinking plastic cups of wine on the deck, which was not really the most pleasant way to enjoy the view.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danielle C
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed here as part of surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday. Having never been to the area I chose to stay here based solely on the reviews I read. I couldn't agree more with all the positive things that have been said!

Check-in was prompt, easy, and done by friendly employees. The room was exactly as pictured online, we were in A125, a corner unit, and it couldn't have provided a warmer or cozier place for us to retire after an afternoon of playing in the snow at Wisp (bonus, the room next to that suite is a supply closet, so it's even MORE private :). I was also pleased at how quiet it was compared to a lot of the hustle and bustle of tourists in the area.

The view from the room was breathtaking, and we lucked out that a big, beautiful snow storm had just gone through the area before we got there. My boyfriend braved the foot of snow to enjoy walking around the balcony, and it looked like he had fun! The cabinets in the kitchenette were well stocked with a variety of glasses, plates, silverware, etc. And the dishwasher allowed for easy clean up at the end of our stay. The little flat screen TV mounted on the wall by the bed was a nice touch, and we enjoyed channel surfing while eating breakfast in bed.

To address some of the complaints that I've read about this place, I guess I must like a really firm mattress, because I slept like a rock! I also took an unplanned nap after breakfast the next morning because it was just such a comfy bed. Also, some reviewers are right that there isn't a ton of light, but we didn't mind it at all. We had several of the soft, low-wattage lights on during the evening, with the fire place going, and it just added to the snug ambiance of the place. We had all the light we needed to play cards and drink wine, so we were fine!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here, and if we're even back in the Deep Creek area, this will be the place we'll stay!

Room Tip: Again, Suite A125 is the way to go if you're looking for some more privacy, as it is a corner un...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie B
Maryland
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights at the suites at silver tree and was a perfect setting for a ski weekend away. The fireplaces in the lobby and rooms were super cozy to enjoy a glass of wine, and then enjoy dinner At a local restaurant or in the comfort of your own room. the kitchenettes made it easy to serve a packed meal brought from home and save a little money. Clean and cozy, can't wait to come back! Also lake view changes the experience! Popped my head into a standard view room and it wasn't the same. Can't wait to be back!!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsay D
Greenbelt, Maryland
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We just got back from a two night stay, and really enjoyed ourselves. Since there were two couples going, we were lucky enough to get adjoining suites - this made things really convenient. As opposed to using internet-generated directions to the property, use the directions they provide because they are really easy. Check-in was a breeze and they had plenty of luggage carts for u to use. Although it's a family friendly hotel, we never heard any children we knew there were some there because we saw them in the lobby), and this was nice as we wanted a quiet New Year's Eve. When we walked into our room, I was pleased with the layout as well as the color combinations. The view from the room (A211) was absolutely beautiful! The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and parking was not an issue either. There are two things that I would suggest: 1. they should place a sign on the front desk when the staff goes home so guests know who to contact in the event of an after-hours emergency. 2. BRING A HUMIDIFIER; the room was extremely dry and I woke up both mornings with a sore throat. However, all in all, we'd go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Theatreguy2370
ANNAPOLIS
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I don't know what else to say but this place is heaven on Earth. The staff, the rooms, the view... nothing I can, or will ever think of will start with a complaint. The suite itself is a mini-condo, have the best coffee in the mornings and a friendly staff awaits you. They have an exercise room with the best sauna I've had in ages. A reading room with a view that will take you to wherever the book you are reading ends. The new addition of the restaurant next door (Dutch's) adds to the ambiance. Saddle up to the bar for a drink and enjoy conversation or watch one of the many flat screens. The food is off the chart, once again, staff very friendly and I will be coming back.... FOREVER. Deep Creek, this place gets a 5 +++ star! Thank you all so much for a wonderful birthday... for the 4th year. (Don't get me started with the massage earlier!) Watch for my review on that.. ahem.. "Massage on the Lake".. Nuf said.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Blue Moon Rising
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa

Been to Suites at Silver Tree? Share your experiences!