“Best Chile Relleno on the Planet”
Review of El Canelo

El Canelo
Ranked #13 of 50 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: El Canelo - Place page maps.google.com - 12680 Garrett Highway, Oakland - (301) 533-4448
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Canelo's is a small, kid-friendly place featuring really good mexican food. Favorites are the chile rellenos, shrimp fajitas, and carne encevollado - a fijata like dish with tender, spiced beef. They also have imported mexican beers, perfect matches for the food.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is one of our regular stops when visiting the Deep Creek area. Much better food and value then Sante Fe Grill. Kid and family friendly.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Being used to more diverse surroundings, my hhusband and I were happy to find this place. The atmosphere wasn't spectacular, but it was clean, and updated. The food was amazing, and the value was excellent. I had the taquitos and they were delicious. I also had the sangria which was one of the best I've ever had. I would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

From the few reviews we found it was impossible to judge just what this place would be like. But, my wife is always willing to take a chance with Mexican food, having honed her tastes in El Paso some years ago. She has a passion for 'real', peasant-style, Mexican food, and little patience for tex-mex. We were both delighted with El Canelo, and went back a second time for lunch. They have a shrimp quesadilla, one of my favorite dishes, and it was at least equal to any I've had. My wife says the beans, and the tamales, were the best ever. Margaritas around 5 bucks, made with real limes, unlike the chemical offerings of local bars at twice the price.

1  Thank aykayeh