“Unhappy”
Review of Will O' the Wisp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oakland
Will O' the Wisp
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Have been going to the willo wisp for 27 years now they have a new managment company and things are not the same. I have no place to park boat trailer, they have increased the prices and now I am charged a 30.00 booking fee.....Too much when there are so many other choices on the lake....Sad
Also they put us in the loft suites beauiful room, but the trees blocked view of the lake.....Very unhappy!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank c g
There are newer reviews for Will O' the Wisp

Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I took our 9-year old for a 2 night stay on Easter weekend. I thought it would be crowded in the Deep Creek area, but was pleasantly surprised to find the area very quiet. We stayed in Unit 309 and would recommend it to readers. It is a one level, one bedroom unit with patios in both rooms. It was nicely furnished and the two beds were quite comfortable. We decided to forego skiing but did take advantage of the Wisp's snow tubing and mountain coaster. The coaster was the best part of our trip.
Although it was a holiday weekend, the Will O' the Wisp was fairly deserted. If we had had the time we would have used the pool - it looked clean and quite inviting. The building also has a racquetball court, game room and small playground equipment at the lake level.
As others have mentioned, housekeeping was spotty. They refolded our towels, emptied the trash, gave us more shampoo, but did not remake the beds. Take your own papertowels.
As another contributor has mentioned, security was a concern. Although you need a key for building access, I left our side of the building, went out the backdoor and entered into the main part to go to the lobby. When I returned the same way, the outside door had not closed all the way. Anyone could have entered in from the lake side to the building. I'm not one to be spooked by things like this, but it may be a concern to others.
If you like candy, check out CandyLand in the main part of Oakland. For a good salad, try the spinach salad at Brenda's pizzeria. The pizza bites were great too. The visitor's center just before the turn to Wisp is full of information.
Be aware that the office closes at 10:00 p.m. Since we hadn't arrived by 8:00, the office called us to check on our arrival time. They accomodated us by leaving the key in an arranged a place. It was a great weekend and we will definitely stay at the WO'TW again.

Room Tip: The website has great photos of the individual rooms. There are a variety of room layouts (single l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My family just returned from 4 nights at Will O' the Wisp. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo unit. The unit is a nice size - just big enough for our family of 5. We loved the indoor pool and hot tub (one of the reasons we stayed there!). The pool and the hot tub were clean and warm. The building itself is clean and was relatively quiet. The workout room and laundry room looked nice too. We appreciated being able to park under cover during all the snow. Management seemed friendly and helpful. When we arrived, the unit was clean and ready for our use. However, housekeeping was spotty. The first day we went skiing, housekeeping came, replenished our towels and dish towel and hastily pulled the covers up on our beds. The second day, housekeeping didn't show up until we were back in our unit after 4pm. Given that we were back and in the midst of showering, I simply asked for some clean towels. The third day, housekeeping came while we were out, but the beds were not made and our dirty dishtowel/rag were not replaced or cleaned up. Just some dirty bath towels were taken away and our garbage was emptied. None of the dresser drawers worked properly; I kept worrying that they would fall out on my kids or they were a struggle to open. Furthermore, the kitchen was missing a few basic elements like a measuring cup. There wasn't anything to clean with - if a small dustbuster had even been available I could have vacuumed up the goldfish crumbs! Finally, the outdoor keys were a real pain. At one point we could not get it to work at all and my husband had to go through the main office to get a new key. I shudder to think of what would have happened if we had gotten back too late and the office was closed. The restaurant is currently closed, too, which we did not know when we made our reservation. Still, we had a great time and would consider staying there again. The most important things (clean, quiet etc) were there but the management should consider some updating and dealing with inconsistencies like housekeeping and their keys.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Meg L
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in a 7 th floor room with a great view of the lake. It was a nice room but needed some updating. At 10 pm strangers were able to enter our room through an inner door that was left unlocked by the staff. It was very disturbing and when I complained the next morning I was told sorry about that. I got no response from an email about the problem. So while it was a nice room it felt sketchy to me that something like that happened.

Room Tip: stay on the 7 th floor for a good view. Make sure all inner doors are locked.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank djs50
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We made reservations here based on Trip Advisor reviews and price. We had reserved one room and I asked at check in if we could view a unit with a different floor plan. I was told none of those units were available. I was presented 2 giant brass room keys that seemed to weigh a pound each. Our unit, which had been recently "updated" was clean and livable, but far from updated unless you consider the new bathroom vanity. The loft bedroom offers very little room or privacy. Granted we did not use any of the amenities this resort needs some TLC.

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Have stayed in just about every style condo over the years - this time a studio loft (#709). It was very nice, clean & cozy. Decorated with photos of the travels of the owners and a few family photos. I liked that very much - made it seem much friendlier. Great indoor pool and outdoor beach area. I will stay here again-- loved it!!

Room Tip: All condos have balconies overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2012

no problems. like this place. stayed two days. great location. clean quiet. had a loft # 709 very nice felt like a home not a room. loved the photos in our loft. loved sitting on the balcony great views. nice little beach and boat dock. lovely swimming pool and hot tubs with cool water feature very relaxing. swollow falls state park is a must. will go back soon i hope.

Room Tip: room # 709 a loft on the 7th floor was perfect for me and my girl carol.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donald V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
The Lodges at Sunset Village
Oakland Motel
Oakland Motel
#3 of 3 in Oakland
Carmel Cove Inn at Deep Creek Lake

Been to Will O' the Wisp? Share your experiences!