“Very Pleased With Our Stay”
Review of Atlantic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #39 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
New Jersey
“Very Pleased With Our Stay”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We booked at the Atlantic because we wanted a hotel on the boardwalk that was reasonably priced. Since the Atlantic got pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor we decided to give it a try. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right at the beginning of the boardwalk. The hotel has a WONDERFUL deck overlooking the boardwalk and, obviously, facing the beach and ocean. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on the deck to people watch in the evenings and we even watched the sunrise one morning. The hotel itself is very, very quaint. The Atlantic was one of the first, if not the first, hotel on the boardwalk. The hotel managers have maintained the hotel in such a way that it is easy to imagine what it was like in the days when it was first built -- but in a good way!! (Please be warned, if you are looking for a fancy, modern, luxury hotel, do not stay here. You will be disappointed!!) I have the pros and cons of this hotel listed below but I did want to commment on some of the comments others have made about this hotel. Some people have complained about having to use the stairs. Unless you have some physical limitation or health condition that prevents you from doing it, who really can complain about having to climb stairs. The hotel is only three stories, for Pete's sake! All the food that you eat on the boardwalk needs to be burned off somehow!! There is an elevator at this hotel but it is an old-fashioned one that requires the staff there to operate it. We only used it to take our luggage in and out of the hotel. Also, people have complained about not being able to find the hotel. We had no problems finding it when we entered, " 1 Wicomico Street, Ocean City, Maryland" into our GPS system. It took us right there. As for the sink in the room -- definitely weird, but not a deal breaker.

Pros:
Location, location, location!!!!
Sundeck was awesome
Hotel and our room were clean -- but I did find little bit of mildew on grout between a few of the shower tiles -- not a huge deal but I noticed it.
Staff was friendly and helpful
Quiet, family hotel

Cons:
A/C -- pretty noisy but didn't keep us awake at night.
Wifi is not free.
Rooms are on the small side and don't have a lot of seating other than the bed

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SpydersGirl

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pickerington, Ohio
Reviewed 29 August 2010

First I will describe the hotel experience in total, then I will give some tips and pros and cons about the The Atlantic Hotel. We originally booked the Atlantic Hotel because of the rate and location, location, location! My family and my best friends family booked a 3 queen bed room to sleep 4 adults, 1 preteen and an infant. My best friend's family had to cancel on the trip, so we re-booked to a 1 queen bed room a month before with no problems. We arrived at the Atlantic on a Sunday evening around 9pm and had a lot of luggage due to traveling with an infant. Checked in and got a room on the 3rd floor deck level because it had rocking chairs that would be useful in putting our baby to sleep. Not the best idea. This hotel has an elevator that is old, and only used for luggage and housekeeping. They did have someone help me get all of my luggage to the room even at 10pm. The room was small but clean with a bed and breakfast type of feel. With a portable crib and luggage it was tight. The bathrooms were very clean, but be prepared: in alot of the rooms the sink is in the ROOM, not in the bathroom and there is very little counter space except for the drawer cabinet top. It was a bit awkward but workable. The space issue was not. I went to the front desk and asked for a room that had more space such as a 2 queen bed room. They checked and said they had none for that night but to check in the morning, as some people were checking out the next day. I did so and they accommodated me with a 1st floor 2 queen bed room in the courtyard in the middle of the hotel. This was perfect! We got room 11, which I recommend for anyone with children at stroller age. It had more space with caddy-corner beds and a 2 chair table with the sink IN the bathroom. And you can walk right out of your door with the stroller to the street that leads to the beach. There are three down falls with this room. Less security, everyone coming back from the beach comes back by this room and if it rains like it did on us, you are outside in it trying to get to your room. Another plus to the courtyard is the wash station for the beach with a hose and shower are right outside your room to wash you and all of your things. This room was very clean but had a slightly musty smell near the front door. Housekeeping did a good enough job, my only complaint here was they did not vacuum every day. There is no free ice machine, so if you want ice it is .50 from the machine or 1.50 for a bag of ice from the front desk. We swam in the pool a few times, it is nice but small. It has a shallow 1/2ft area for small children, and goes as deep as 5ft. We were able to get lunch and dinner easily steps from our room on the boardwalk, but breakfast proved more difficult. The hotel itself is nice and kept clean, but is not modern at all, do not expect Holiday inn, again expect bed and breakfast that is literally steps from the main area of the boardwalk. Parking can be bad at night because after 9pm everyone comes in to sleep and the lot is not large. They only allow one car per room and that is a good thing. One thing to be aware of, the doors are regular doors, with a key you have to use to lock the door on your way out, no hotel key cards here! Lastly, this hotel is right in the middle of the main part of the Ocean City boardwalk but don't be afraid of noise at night, it really is very quiet!

Tips: Get a parking spot before 9pm, it fills fast. Request a ground floor room, especially if you have infants or kids. Get a room with a fridge and microwave, it will save on the ice buying and keep your drinks cold. Bring your own pillow if possible. Try Thrashers fries! Use the tram to get to far parts of the boardwalk.

Cons: No on site laundry. Sinks in room not in the bathroom in some units. Rooms are on the small side. Little counter space. Small parking lot. No free ice machine. Elevator is for service only, not passenger traffic. Pillows aren't great, bring your own if you can. Food on boardwalk is expensive. (Not the fault of hotel, just good to know.) Not much security, anyone can walk anywhere in the hotel or pool area with no way to know if they should be there.

Pros: Location, location, and location! Great rates, best in the area on the boardwalk! Clean rooms and decent beds. Can open windows all the way for fresh air. Decent air conditioning units. Free parking for one car. Very accommodating and helpful staff. Steps from the busiest part of the boardwalk and fishing pier. Steps from the beach. Steps from any food you may want, except for few breakfast choices. Quiet even though it's so close to the boardwalk. Nice deck with rocking chairs over the boardwalk to relax and people watch. Nice but small pool area. Steps from the tram and bus lines.(We rode the boardwalk tram but not the buses.) Very close to two amusement areas. Close to Thrashers fries, they are great!

9 Thank ohcoasterfreak
Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My sister, her 2 teenage daughters and I stayed here for 4 nights. We absolutely loved the location on the boardwalk ...and the deck! We had a room with 2 queen beds, microwave, and refrigerator. We had decided that all we cared about was to have a CLEAN room since we wouldn't be in the room very much. We were very happy that the room was clean (and had everything that we needed), the staff was nice, the deck was wonderful to sit on at night, and we were right on the boardwalk and beach. The hotel overall was quiet, and the sleeping was great. It is kind of a pain that you have to turn in your used towels to get new towels, but I understand that people probably take their towels outside and don't bring them back. We had no problems with this hotel.....and I hope to stay there again some day!!

1 Thank TABWisconsin
Cogan Station, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Room was spacious enough, clean, right on the boards near everything, and inexpensive. What more could you want. The pool area was small but never crowded. The porch overlooking the boardwalk was great and again never crowded. The only drawback was my room was on the top floor and we had to climb the stairs quite a bit. I would definately stay again.

1 Thank brc2222
Frederick, MD
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I booked this hotel from searching on the internet. We have never stayed here before, when I called for the reservation because of the days we were staying Sun-Thurs we got one night free. Can't beat the price and location. Lobby has alot of charm, our room was spacious and only a couple of doors from the balconey that overlooked the boardwalk. The pool area was nice. Only moved the car once. Used boardwalk tram or walked. Definately would stay here again. Staff very helpful and friendly!

1 Thank auntsRfun
Cortland, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2010

When we decided as a family to take a trip to O.C. I first had the Comfort Suites booked,which is not located on the boardwalk for a grand total of $1200.00 for a four night stay. I am very paticular and was going to give up location for a nicer hotel but was not willing to spend the high prices the Holiday inn, Hilton, etc. were offering. But then I went to trip advisor and they rated this hotel pretty high and i decided to give it a try and cancelled my reservations at the comfort suites but still very skeptical. The 4 night stay at the Atlantic was a grand total of $525.00. If you check in on a sunday the 4th night was free. I was nervous the whole way down from upstate N.Y. To my suprise to was very neat and clean. Yes the rooms were small and no balcony but i did expect that. I knew before booking it there was no balcony but the sundeck was great! The outside of the hotel was neat and clean. The pool was small but the water was warm and clean. They had comfortable lounge chairs and a outside bar which offered $5 pina colidas and slushies for the kids. Like others have stated this is not the Marriott which i have stayed in. You just have to go there and not expect all the extras. I even brought my flash light and inspected for bed bugs and there was NOTHING. I pulled the mattress and sheets up and looked several times. Everything was clean. Sure I could find alot to say negative like small rooms, no balcony, low water pressure but for $500 for a 4 night stay on the ocean i am not complainig. Every morning in the lobby my husband and i would get a cup of coffee and sit on the sundeck at the end of the hall, which was never crowded. To get into your room they still have the old lock and key. which was a little hassle. I would recommend hanging your clothes on a hanger and putting them in the closet due to the lack of space in the room for suitcases. because of the money we saved staying there,we were able to spend more money on seafood dinners, jetskis,parasailing etc. After walking the boardwalk at night and seeing what else there was to offer I made a wise choice by staying at the Atlantic Hotel. I guess to sum it up you felt like you were staying in a victorian style house, not a hotel. For the money I saved I would go back.

2 Thank missy47543
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 5 day trip from Ocean City. This was our first time staying at this hotel.

We picked this hotel because of the location. We wanted to be on the boardwalk (near the end) and not spend a fortune.

This is one of the original hotels (over 100 years old). The hotel is very old and full of character. It's a really neat place but it does have a few 'quirks'.

If you don't know what to expect you might be in for a surprise.

The rooms and bathrooms are small. A "typical" modern hotel room would be much larger than these rooms.

The hotel has one elevator but it is quite old and I believe you need to have the front desk turn it on for you. We never used it.

The hotel is 4 floors. The first is ground/street level. You go up one flight to the lobby. From there you have two more stories. We were on the top floor and didn't mind the stairs. If you have small children I would suggest requesting ground level. (They also list they have handicap accessible rooms. I believe these are the ground/street level.)

The staff was very kind and helpful. We arrived early (11:30 ish). Although check in is not until 3 pm the staff gave us our packing permit early and pushed our room to the top of the list to be prepared. Our room was ready by 12:30 pm.

The room was small but clean and comfortable. We had the 1 queen bed (no fridge or microwave). There was the bed, a dresser with a tv, small night stand, small desk and chair and pedestal sink. Yes, we did have the sink in the bedroom. You had to walk out of the bathroom and around the bed to get to the sink. One of the quirks of this place. It never bothered us.

Since it was just the two of us we opted for the 1 bedroom room. Walking down the halls we were able to peak into some other rooms. The 2 bedroom rooms looked like they were a nice size. I even saw one with a portable crib setup and it looked like there was still enough room to walk around comfortably.

The hotel does have a small pool. It was kept very clean and was a wonderful spot to cool off away from the boardwalk and beach crowds. Often there were only one or two families down there. It never seemed to be overly crowded.

The roof-top deck/patio has several rocking chairs. It was a nice place to sit at night (too hot during the day).

We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple