“Barely Average - Unit #2521, Century 1, Ocean City, MD”

Century 1 Condominium
Reviewed 5 August 2013

First, the good. The location is great and being on the top floor provides a great view of the ocean and the bay. The layout of the condo is nice too. It's a two-level condo. When you first walk in, you head straight to the master BR... the rest of the rooms are upstairs. It's good for privacy but a pain to carry groceries and the everything else up to the main floor.

The bad.

1) The building:

- The beach elevator is slow and overburdened. When you move in and out, you are not allowed to use the superfast main elevators in the main lobby. Upon check-out,it took 15 minutes just for the elevator to come up to us without having a full load. On the way down, WE GOT STUCK. Yes, me, my daughter, and her girlfriend, and a luggage cart full of luggage... stuck IN the elevator between the 1st and ground floors... the elevator door would not open and the elevator would not move. We called from the emergency phone. A woman answered, said she would call a technician, and call us back with an ETA, but she never called back. The security guard said "he just happened to look at the monitor and see us sitting in the elevator and not moving." He was nice though. He pried open the door so we could climb out and helped us carry our stuff from that lcoation out to the car.

2) The pool. We did not use the pool... even on the day it stormed. It's small and in a detached building.

3) The linen package. Oh HECK no. They were itchy and felt like sandpaper and stained. All the sheets are flat... no fitted sheets at all. AWFUL.

4) Unit #2521

For the amount of money I paid, I was sorely disappointed.

The dishes were in the cabinets but they were dirty. I had to soak and scour the only skillet before we could use it to make pancakes. It had scrambled eggs all over it. The bowls were not deep enough to have a bowl of cereal. The microwave was old and smelled like fish. The range and dishwasher are old too... and both were, you guessed it... dirty.

The kitchen floor was sticky and dirty when we arrived. The caulking in the shower had black mold on it.

There is a cabinet in the living/dining area that had a TON of mixers, alcohol, wine, etc. in an UNLOCKED cabinet. NOT COOL when you are traveling with kids.

The sliding glass doors in the living room that lead out to the balcony overlooking the beach,took every ounce of muscle and about 4 or 5 tries to lift and slide open enough to go outside.

The overall decor was old and tacky. Ugly wooden fish hanging where a plant would go. Old, yard sale"ish" "beachy themed" art hung on the walls. Just ugghh.

This condo has a lot of POTENTIAL. If the kitchen would be updated with new appliances and better equipped and thoroughly cleaned, the decor modernized, the sliding glass and screen doors fixed, and the bathrooms recaulked and given new medicine cabinets, it could be really great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kaykayzmom

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband has been vacationing in Ocean City since he was 6 years old - and now it is the destination for a week each summer with our family. We had been staying in the same condo complex my husband had been going to with his parents for the past 30 years......but this year we really wanted a two bedroom because our kids are getting bigger and sometimes it's just not fun having people sleeping on a hide-a-bed in the living room. After much searching of reviews and websites we decided on the Century 1. I have good and bad -- I'll start with the good.....

Good: Check in was a breeze. After reading many reviews I was really concerned about the move-in process...it was flawless! The bell hops were fast and courteous -- fastest move-in we have ever had. We had a little trouble with the down stairs shower - and the rental agency had a plumber there in less than 30 minutes. Kitchen was gorgeous - well appointed. (But for whatever reason lacked a toaster....even a hotel room has a toaster!!!) We were in unit 1001 - so close to the beach/service elevator - very convenient, and very quiet (I should say the building was quiet inside...see the bad).

The bad (and the ugly): The unit simply was not well cleaned. The floors were sticky and there was a lot of grime in places there shouldn't have been grime - this really bothered me. I spent a good hour cleaning (and $20 on supplies). I feel very strongly showers and toilets should be CLEANED and DISINFECTED between renters. The carpet was grungy - it appears to be ground in dirt that didn't really rub off on feet/ socks - but it was unappealing. The plates between doorways were all bent up and had screws coming out. The owners stuff was every where - every closet had stuff just shoved in. There was even an old TV sitting in the living room -- again very unappealing.

My final "bads" have nothing to do with the unit but the building.....everywhere you looked there were signs telling you where you could and couldn't go if you were in a swimsuit, and how much they would "fine" you for breaking a rule..or even evict you. It made me feel like a bad child who needed reprimanding. Not exactly welcoming. We were woken up one night by the POLICE pounding on our door accompanied by security looking for a child with a laser pointer.....seriously? It was after 11pm....uncalled for. THE SIRENS......I know that it's just a few blocks from the Fire Station but I swear the sirens were mounted in the parking lot! 3 nights and 1 early morning we were awakened by what sounded like a nuclear air raid siren! Finally -- if you need dark to sleep.......make sure you get a unit with a bedroom on the ocean side! Between the building next door and the Century 1 parking lot lights our bedroom was bright as day at midnight.

We had a great vacation because we refuse to let the little things get to us - but I'm doubtful we will rent at this building again. There was no onsite warm fuzziness.....and yes I'm sure I'll be fined or evicted for saying so!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Susie D
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This unit is clean, well kept with a brand new kitchen complete with granite counters. The bedrooms face the bay, while the living room balcony overlooks the ocean. In case of little ones, the owners put fencing on the balcony railing so that nothing can go under the railing. Century 21 New Horizon has an office in the building and handles the rentals for this unit as well as any issues that may arise during a guest's stay. The foldout couch is clean and comfortable and will enable a party of six sleeping space.

Room Tip: This room is close to the beach elevator which is convenient. The higher numbered rooms are near th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karin V
Reviewed 15 August 2011

If you decide to rent one of these condos it's important to note that each unit is privately owned so everyone's experience will be different. The condo we stayed was in severe need of an update. The carpet was so dirty that after an hour of walking on the floor our socks were black. The furniture was flimsy and uncomfortable. There was nothing to clean with as the owner claimed a cleaning lady came in every week with her own supplies. Light shined in each room because the curtains were so thin. Every closet had things simply shoved in them with no organization. The only redeeming quality was there was a nice ocean view from the balcony and you could walk right out on to the beach from the building. I would definitely try renting a house next time instead of a condo because they are just not laid out well and their expensive.

Room Tip: Carefully read the description of each condo and see if there are any other user reviews
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank worldtraveler9857
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We went to OC in August (me, my husband, our 2 year old son and my parents). Our unit was spacious enough for 2 families and relatively clean. My only real concern is the balconies. There is enough space under the bottom rail for a small child to fit underneath. We were always very careful our son stayed far enough away from the balcony railing. Other than that, it is a decent place to stay for a week as we typically spend most of our time on the beach and being out and about anyways. We look at it like we would rather spend a little less on our room so that we can spend more on activities. We found a happy medium with the Century I. I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DevinsMommy
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Our unit was trashed when we got there. The smell was awful. We had to mop up the tile floor in the kitchen area because there was something all over it (felt like vasoline). Dishes were not clean. The worst part is that I never got my security deposit back. Basically, we left our unit in much better shape than we found it in but still lost the security deposit. Single worst rental I have ever had. I feel scammed. They never told me why we didn't get the deposit back and I can't get ahold of anyone to discuss the matter.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank traveler1234568
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Century 1 Unit 1413 is a 2 story/2 Bedroom-2 bathroom condo unit on the 14th floor, about mid-building in what we were told is the tallest building in OCMD. The entrance to this unit is via a corridor/hall and adjacent to the elevators on bayside. The unit was neat, clean, well-equipped and tastefully decorated and was more than adequate enough to accomodate our family of four for a week. The kitchen was especially spacious, appears to have been recently re-done and except for the oven, had newer full-size appliances. The furniture was comfy and the bedrooms and living room all have flat Tv's. It was very clean and overall it was one of the nicest condos we've ever rented. The central AC unit kept the place very comfortable too. The living room has an oceanfront balcony, the upper(master) bedroom has a bayview window, the lower bedroom had a walk-out bayview balcony. The bathrooms are located right next to each bedroom and were small (I'm under 5' and believe a "larger" size person may find it tight) but the rest of the unit was spacious, with plenty of dresser & closet storage as well. Building charges $30 registration/parking fee at time of check-in and requires a tag when you're parked in the lot and there was always a space available when we parked. Bagged trash can be deposited via trash chute at the end of the hall on each floor (did not see recycling facilities). I really liked this unit but the building itself was not appealing.

Century I location is off a busy section of Coastal Highway. In addition to the difficulty exiting the parking lot and crossing the street outside the unit, we could feel and hear street traffic long into the night from the bedrooms(with windows closed). Additionally, several times during our stay (once at 3:45 am) we were jilted from bed due to sirens. I'm not sure how close the fire dept is, but it felt like the alarm was just outside the windows. During "busy times" of arrival/departure to the condo(posted on the door) you are not allowed to use the service elevator to transport your own belongings or otherwise, it is for condo personnel only. Mandatory bellhop service wasn't friendly and your only other option is to use the building's main elevators after climbing 3 flights of stairs at the entrance. (I wish the rental company had informed us ahead of time of this.) There is also NO way to access the beach that doesn't involve stairs. Whether you ride to 1st floor or ground level, you have to do stairs so trying to wheel a beach cart or navigate with small kids is difficult. There is a sundeck on 1st floor, but only accessible thru the lobby, has very few chairs and no beach access either. The building does not allow beach traffic to use the regular elevators--all beach traffic plus incoming guests or grocery carts(for shopping) use a slow, overburdened service elevator. At any time during our stay the service elevator wait was at least 10 minutes. The indoor pool is not attached to the main building; it requires going outside and entering a designated passcode. I found the pool building interior to be needing some cosmetic updates, but the water was clean & there were always enough chairs for our family.

I'm going to recommend this UNIT--it was perfect; I could see myself living there. The owner shares my decorating "tastes". However, I really don't care for the Century I building overall and am not likely to rent ANY unit in this building again. Century I doesn't seem very visitor, family or beach friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family