“Great location, reasonable OC facility”

Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Northern New Jersey
“Great location, reasonable OC facility”
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I have to try to separate my opinions about Ocean City from my opinions about the hotel itself. We went to OC to be with family. I don't really like OC, and I would not recommend OC to a friend as a vacation destination, but if someone were going to OC anyway, this hotel is a reasonable choice. The location is great -- it's right on the beach, just two properties north of the northern end of the boardwalk (the quiet end). So, you can access the boardwalk without having to find a parking space, but you don't have to deal with all the boardwalk-related noise and congestion at your hotel. For swimming, it is a nice stretch of beach. My problem with just about everything in OC is that the prices are extremely high and the facilities are rather crude for what you're paying. The room at the Dunes Manor was very 1980s, with a worn, tired feel. With taxes, we paid about $400 a night for a small suite -- two double beds (not queens) and an old pullout couch in the other room, with one bath and an unappealing little kitchenette. They only have about three months a year of good business in OC, and it shows in the limited investment in the facilities. For that kind of money, you could have a far nicer room in a major NY, LA or DC hotel. At $400 a night, when you're staying in one of the nicest places in town, and the hotel doesn't even provide beach towels, and everything feels worn and sort of cheap, I am not thrilled. But I don't want to single this hotel out for criticism -- it is typical of what I don't like about OC in general, and not unique to this hotel. That's the market in OC. I do applaud the Dunes Manor staff, which seemed more attentive and gracious than most of what I have dealt with in OC. They also see to it that the hotel has more character than most, with a well-known local pianist leading evening sing-alongs in the lobby, complimentary morning coffee, complimentary afternoon tea, and lovely rockers on a veranda overlooking the beach.

1 Thank WaterEnthusiasts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Waterbury CT
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The DUnes Manor is probably one of the nicest hotels in Ocean City. All rooms are ocean front and have a private balcony. The stff couldn;t have been more helpful!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GinnyQWaterburyCT
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We came down from New York for a few days with another couple. We did not have reservations, but liked the location/looks of the Dunes Manor Hotel. With so many choices, we were glad we found this place at a "relatively" fair price. (Frankly, most boardwalk hotels seem ridiculously overpriced for this economy.) The warm & welcoming feeling of the lobby was a surprise (not the glass and chrome coldness of some others in the area.) We loved the decor, very lovely - and of course the priceless view.

The Victorian Room Restaurant was another wonderful surprise! We were going to go out, but are so glad we stayed and ate there! Each of us had something different, but every meal was outstanding. The Chef on both Friday and Saturday nights sure knew what he was doing!! Our food was fabulous, and excellently prepared just the way we asked! We were so glad we opted to stay in the comfort of the hotel.

We will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank hevyn
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We got a recommendation from an acquaintance to stay here on a recent short notice trip to the shore. We had not been to OC so were unfamiliar with the area. We could not have had a better choice. It is an older hotel and because of this it presented some housekeeping challenges. The cleanliness was not immaculate but acceptable. The rate was pricy according to my standards but not near the price of the Marriot or Hilton so expectations were lowered as you get what you pay for.. But with a just a few steps to the beach,a rinse shower facility for returning from the beach and beach bar/food just inside the dune line and great view from oceanfront balcony with separation and privacy from other rooms the stay was a great experience.Parking was easy and near the entrance. Nice looking lobby and nice feature of rocking chairs on porch overlooking the ocean. Another positive was the cooperation, help, pleasantness and attitude of all the staff that we came in contact with including front desk, restaurant, bellboys, barkeeps. A minor maintainance problem with our TV was handled promptly and with a smile and politeness. It appears the hotel puts forth an above average effort to make ones stay satisfactory. WE would not hesitate one second to return for a stay at this hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank obxn
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2009

My wife and I wanted to take our one year old daughter to the beach for the first time on fairly short notice. We found the Dunes Manor and couldn't beat the price. We went expecting just another hotel and found out that if we really wanted we didn't really have to leave the hotel during our entire stay. There are a few options for dining located right in the hotel serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We were happy to find that this wasn't the type of hotel that put up partying high school/college kids. The hotel was quiet enough for our daughter to sleep without having to worry about her being awoken by people being loud in the halls at all hours of the night. We were also pleased with the outdoor bar/restaurant as we were able to grab some lunch and eat on the beach and not have to worry about hauling all of our stuff up off of the beach. The hotel is located one block north of the boardwalk which we found to be quite nice, all of the boardwalk fun without all of the boardwalk traffic right outside your room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

4 Thank alleycat2334
new jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2009

i would not recommend this hotel.. checked-in room was small considering the price...pool was small and "green" could not let the children swim. family members found the bar maid at the outside bar rude and unprofessional..after speaking with the manager about these issues we decided to check out immediately . Found another hotel more modern less expensive with great amenities extended our stay for an additional 2 days. I agree with the review written by roxi06 from nj...

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank sammi03
NJ
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I normally stay at another hotel in Ocean City but was so impressed with how visually impressive the Dunes Manor was that I thought I would give it a try. This turned out to be a terrible idea. The pool was absolutely disgusting. The water was green and had a foul smell. Couple that with the nasty pool attendant who kept questioning everyone as to what room they were staying in. My question was who in their right mind would want to sneak into this pool? After finally checking into the room, another ordeal I will spare details too, I was greeted to a tiny room with a moldy smell. The toilet had a stain in it and the sheets looked like they hadn't been changed. I was already considering checking out when I tried to get a drink at the empty bar and the bartender made it seem like I was annoying her. I walked to the bar off the beach and was treated to the same rude treatment. I honestly was considering if I was on candid camera at this point. I couldn't wait to leave so I did and checked into another hotel. Try it if you want, but definitely cheaper hotels that are far superior nearby.

10 Thank roxi06