“Acceptable, but could be a lot better, especially for the money.”

The Commander Hotel
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Maryland
“Acceptable, but could be a lot better, especially for the money.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I paid $300/night for an oceanfront suite to watch the OC Air Show this year and the view was great. Just a block off show-center, we could hear the announcer and see almost everything (the north view is obscured due to the angle of the building itself, of course, unless you're on the very end). No complaints there and the room was worth the money for that purpose.

Had I not been there to watch the air show, however, I would make the following comments:

To start with praise, the staff is by far the friendliest I've ever encountered outside of a Mariott property. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping was just incredibly friendly. They're also very accommodating. When I e-mailed to let them know that we would be arriving early (we had originally planned a late arrival), they offered to let us use their parking lot (a premium in OC during the season), the pool facilities, the restrooms - pretty much everything they had to offer - while we were waiting for our room. They even took my cell number and called me as soon as the room was ready (around 12:30) even though check-in wasn't until 3, and I hadn't even asked for early check-in. Very impressive!

Cleanliness was acceptable. The room itself was generally clean. The appliances were showing some wear, but from age rather than dirt. I would have appreciated a plastic liner for the ice bucket, however. My wife did find some hairs and dirt in the bathtub, which didn't make her happy, but didn't make us ask for another room or a visit from housekeeping, either. Water pressure in the shower was better than average and the beds were comfortable.

The suites are arranged with the sleeping area near the door and the living area by the balcony. Because we were only there for a couple of nights, we would have preferred if it was arranged the other way around so we could enjoy the view from bed, but for anyone staying for a longer trip or an actual vacation (using the room for more than just sleeping), this arrangement makes more sense, so I can't fault them there. The color scheme of the room (navy) was a little dark overall and the decor could use some updating generally. You also won't be watching either of the televisions from a distance (both small sets), but they were fine for our purposes, although the channel line up was different on each one for some reason.

Parking can be an issue. We got lucky and were able to park at the hotel each time (although we only moved our car once during the weekend because of this very issue). If you don't get one of the spaces at the hotel (maybe 30 total?), you'll have to park on the street (good luck) or in their satellite lot a couple blocks away on the bay side. This is not uncommon along that stretch of the boardwalk, however.

I was most disappointed and confused by the restaurant, however. The Commander Hotel also owns and runs the Skipjack Grill, which is right there on site. The food was good and the service was prompt. They also have a liquor license. What doesn't make any sense to me at all is that they don't serve dinner and don't offer room service. It just doesn't make any sense. I would certainly have eaten two or three additional meals there otherwise, even if just for the convenience.

Overall, the Commander is in a great location, the staff is fantastic, and my guest experience was a good one. I certainly doubt I'd stay there for $300/night, however, unless it's to use the room to watch the air show next year. (And in all fairness, their rates are quite a bit lower than the other hotels at show center.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here overnight this past weekend and it was an awesome experience! We stayed in a Cabana Suite which over looks the very nice pool, but from our room we could see the ocean to the left and the bay to the right. Going to the beach was a breeze as all we had to do was walk through the parking lot and across the boardwalk and we were there! They have a very nice pool bar, and the Skipjack Grill is right out front with a great breakfast buffet. It was about $40 for 3 adults(my 2 year old was
free). They also have an indoor heated pool but we did not go(too beautiful outside!) On our last day there, my father in law fell in the parking lot(he has Parkinsons) and the staff camr right out to help us. They cleaned him up and helped him to walk back to our room, and offered us to check out of our room late so that he could relax. Normal check out is 11 and we left at 2. After we got back, the manager and housekeeper came by to see how he was doing, as well as a call from the front desk. They were very caring and went above and beyond what I would have expected. We will definitely be staying at the Commander any time we go to Ocean City!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank shellymayer85
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter, granddaughter enjoyed our time at the Commander. Our oceanfront room with small efficiency kitchen was perfect for us. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. Convenient location. The two pools were nice and walking out to the beach was great.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BunnySpalding
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed over Memorial Day weekend. Great experience! We stayed in the Promenade suite. It was oceanfront and on the 1st floor. The room was very spacious, freshly painted and clean! The bed was very comfortable ... the pull out sofa wasn't so great but oh well. The view was just okay. You could definitely see everything but I prefer to be higher to look down onto stuff. We could walk from our room onto the large patio and down the stairs to the car or straight onto the boardwalk without even using the elevators or the main lobby. Definitely a plus for easy access. The indoor pool was small but nice. The staff was friendly and helpful when I asked for extra towels and washcloths and looked into booking our return trip in August this year. Prices were among the lowest we found and to our surprise, we really loved it here!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley21502
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed at The Commander Hotel for a weekend visit, and would definitely stay there again. The hotel's location on the boardwalk is just a short walk from great shops and restaurants/bars. The room was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. A great place to stay for a fun weekend.

Room Tip: Be sure to get an oceanfront room. The sixth floor rooms provide a great view of the ocean/boardwalk...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jtwned24
Mount Holly, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This property is right on the beach. They have an outdoor pool, and a small indoor pool. There is an onsite parking garage as well. Our room was a bit cramped, but served its purpose. It had a TV and microwave, and a small balcony that looked out over the ocean. There are numerous restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike K
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I like the commander hotel not bad place to stay in. I had taken a bath in the room but tube was too small not big enough to take a bath in don't know why the tub was so small. I like the Commander but also wish the tv was a little bit bigger. I would come again though. I was glad we had cable with free disney and some basic cable. I would probably stay at another room the room with a bigger bath tub just more expensive. I would see if this room has a 32 inch tv too. But the room was immaculate, nicely decorated and had all of the amenities. I was treated very kindly by staff at the Commander Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a big tv and huge tub.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple