“Lovely customer service from every employee” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Commander Hotel

The Commander Hotel
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely customer service from every employee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

From the minute my family was greeted at the reservation desk, we were met with phenomenal customer service from the agents, the maids, the pool staff, and any employee we happened to meet in the halls. We made a few calls for help with directions, etc. to the front desk, and they were always willing to help. Our room was clean and ready early. Would definitely recommend this hotel to OC visitors!

Room Tip: Paying a little more for ocean view is worth it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dotto1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Weirton, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is the second time I've stayed in the Commander Hotel, and I only stayed in it again because I love its location. The first time i stayed, I opened the pull out couch and found a shirt… must have been from the previous people. So the "maids" obviously didn't even bother to pull it out to check for anything let alone CLEAN it. Soon after discovering that, I pulled the covers back and found a tooth pick laying IN the bed. Was so grossed out, but eventually got over it. Rest of the stay was okay, and the hotel staff was super friendly and apologized for the situation. Although I should have asked for clean linen. The second time I stayed, i found a hair on the shower wall. I then decided maybe i should check the bed over again to make sure it was actually clean this time. There were 4 pillows stacked up on every bed. 6 OUT OF 8 PILLOWS HAD HAIRS ALL OVER THEM. I literally put my beach towel down and slept on that. EXTREMELY disappointed. Oh and to top that off, I keep the "Do not disturb" sign on my door at all hotels because I don't prefer having people in my room when I have my computer and everything with me, got a knock this morning at about 9:30.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Shonna111
dover de
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked an oceanfront room, it was clean,the view from the deck,of the ocean was good,didn't get too try out the breakfast grill place attached too the hotel, but from what I could see of it, it looked nice .The location wasn't too far, from the shops or restaurants.Actually I only have two minor complaints,1. The bathroom door stuck horribly, and the bathroom ceiling over the tub, had some kind of brown rust like stain. Oh and one more thing, I do think 350.00 a night,on the weekend,at a hotel that is not 5 star, is alittle steep, other then those 3 things, I was satisfied .It will be on my short list of hotels, that I would return too,a second time.Who knows maybe next summer!!!Ps.they could use some work, on their wifi service, but lucky for us, we weren't in the room much, just too sleep!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank suzyshop
Pasadena
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Wish I had checked tripadvisor before I booked! We stayed here years ago and it was very nice. Lovely oceanfront rooms. Now it's just a tired, dirty, rundown hotel. When I complained about the disgusting floor in the bathroom and the fish smell I the frig, the women at the desk said she would pass the info onto housekeeping. Guess that's all she did because NOTHING was done! If I could get a room next door at the marriott we would have already checked out, unfortunate they are booked and we have to suffer one more night here! UGH. DO NOT STAY AT THIS DIRTY HOTEL.
I will say that the front desk staff is very kind and allowed us to check in early. The location is great for my 17 year old daughter to run the boardwalk and the view is great from the balcony. Can't think of any other positives to mention. It's just too damn DIRTY!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Liv2dyv
Downingtown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our second time back to the Commander Hotel. Our first stay was 13 years ago and this place has really taken a dive.
Prior to booking again we did read the reviews and were warned but did not listen.
The rooms are very outdated.
The smell in there...ugh..
They spray something everyday after they clean your rooms and it was a nauseating smell. It's not just sprayed in the rooms but the hallways of the hotel also.
The toilet ran constantly. We had to disassemble several times a day to stop it from running.
A few outlets did not work and they just happened to be the convient ones to be reached.
So we had to charge our phones I'm the bathroom next to the sink.
Oooohhh the bathroom. Gross!
We wore our shoes in there at all times. The floor is disgusting there was hair and dirt on the walls next to the sink. Rusty ceiling over your head in the shower. The toilet tissue is so far away from the toilet you can not reach it.
Not enough parking for guest in the hotel.
The Lobby stunk like cigarettes.
The coffee maker in the room was not cleaned since the last guest used it.
The pull out couch bed had not sheets or blankets on them except for a cruddy Barbeque
Sauce covered mattress pad! It was yellow and covered in some kind of Unidentifiable stains. The mattress was this thin worn in green/yellow stain color. There's no sleeping on it!
Here's a suggestion for the hotel - why don't you put some money back into your hotel and clean this place up. Buy a decent mattress for the pull out bed. Get rid of those 1980's tube TV sets. Take down the tapestry glued to the walls. Clean up the lobby that's the first impression and it's a rotten one!
The Skipjack grill at the hotel- it was empty all day and all night!
Plenty of tables there!
Tables are all set for dinner and breakfast and no one came to dine! Even the bar had no one at night! Depressing!
My family and I had one of the best steals ever at the Marriott's restaurant The Captians Table. Right next door to the Crudmander. Food was AMAZING! Piano player while we dined!
We had breakfast every day at the Holiday inn which is a beautiful hotel with 3 pools and a small water park. We actually had a running joke that we would just go to the Holiday Inn to use the bathroom.
There are so many Cons to this place. Almost forgot the cruddy blue blankie's on the bed!
Pro's
It is in a good location on the boardwalk. It far down enough from all the commotion and panhandlers. It's on the quiet end of things.
The refrigerator was clean on the inside* not the outside though. There was stains from past spillage running down the sides a front of it.
The balconies are spacious we say five comfortably. In the morning you could only sit on one side of it because of the sun and the hotel is angled.
In all this place is overpriced for what you get- dirty room and board.
Never again will we be back.
Clean this place up!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Lakelifegirl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I been coming to ocean city and staying at the commander for the last 15 years. The location is excellent and we always stay at the cabana suites that are VERY spacious with a nice kitchenette including a microwave, stove top, sink, dishes and silverware are provided, Full size fridge and freezer which meant a lot to us because we bring or own food to save money rather than eating out every night. The staff are very kind and helpful. Housekeeping kept our towels and tp stocked, straightened up, did our dishes every day, etc. My favorite part is the balconies, they are huge! And eventho it's not an "ocean view" room you still can see the ocean from the balcony.
Now the cons: for the price of almost $300 a night I would like to see the outdoor pool open to hotel guests until dusk, and some sort of complimentary breakfast or discount for the breakfast buffet at skipjack. Currently the outdoor pool is only open until 6 or 7 which is a bummer because we like to go on the beach until 5 and spend some evenings relaxing poolside. The indoor pool is open until ten but that's soooo TINY. 3 foot deep, only the size of a king size bed and probably has more urine in it than h20 from all the kids that go in there. I'm glad to see they finally got flat screen TVs but the whole decor could definitely use some updating.
Throughout my 20something years staying in ocean city several times each summer, I would say the commander is one of the better hotels, but if this hotel wants to keep competing with others in the same price range and not lose guests- update the room decor and offer more to your guests such as extended pool hours or discount meal at skipjack grill.

2 Thank Kellynn85
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is our 2nd yr staying here. Our room this yr was actually right next door to last yrs. we got the 3rd floor Oceanfront Suite both times which was great with 2, 3yr olds not to high but you can see everything.
The rooms were super clean, beds very comfy. Having a laundry facility and quarters available at the front desk is great I washed clothes everyday, so dirty laundry didnt pile up. Front desk is so friendly and the bartender at the pool even remembered us from last yr. Pool bar has nice drink specials and food is good. The indoor and outdoor pools are nice and although the indoor is small it is a lifesaver for kids on rainy days and hard to find a hotel in OC with both. Housekeeper was friendly and took care of all our needs even with kids toys everywhere. The front desk even held a cake for my husband for my bday. Also parking has never been an issue for us. I read reviews and paniced but we always hot a spot even with going out at night.
Here are just a few things we would change:
The restaurant was awful for breakfast, not even edible and the kids cereal was stale.
We wish the oceanfront rooms were a tad bigger like the Cabanas, we could use the stove and a little more room but not willing to give up oceanfront.
TV's need upgraded, nothing fancy just maybe a small flat screen.
Add drying racks to oceanfront balconys like the cabanas never anywhere to hang towels and bathing suits.
Overall a great trip and we plan on returning to the Commander for many yrs to come!!

1 Thank Amberb711