“Close to everything”

Thunderbird Beach Motel
Ranked #70 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel was a great place to stay at for a short vacation. Restaurants are close by, easy access to the beach which was right behind the hotel. Boardwalk is a close walk. Nothing really to do there though. There's an amusement park across the street.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here in August of 2012 and were happy with our stay. Even though the motel dates from the `60's, the rooms were clean, comfortable, and had decent amenities. My friend and I were actually impressed that the the room had a new flat scree LCD TV.

The staff at the Thunderbird Motel were VERY nice and VERY helpful. My friend found out that the motel is actually a family run business.

The location is also really good considering it is toward the upper end of the beach. The beach itself was with in a few steps of the motel, and we had easy access to everything else. Also, while the motel is not actually on the Board Walk, it is close enough.

All in all, both my friend and I were very happy with our stay, I would recommend the motel to our friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Great location, prices are decent comparing others. My only gripe is you get soap but no shampoo. Just remember to bring your own. You can really expect a lot from a place like this. Bathrooms are a little cramped. Overall for the value and location I would come back.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Myke I
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here with friends and the kids and it was a clean facility. The parking was a little bit of a challenge but the location is great and the prices are reasonable. It's close to the beach and isn't far from other attractions. It's a good room for the short amount of time we stayed in it while we were here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cara S
Reviewed 21 August 2013

my family and I frequently visit ocean city, MD for a nice cheap family vacation. we decided to stay at another motel this year because where we normally stay was booked the week we were coming( end of july 2013). It started off okay...close to the beach small motel pool. however it proceed to get worse. the bathroom was so small it made it difficult to even shower in there. not to mention they didnt have locks on the bathroom doors.the water pressure made me feel like i was standing under a broken sprinkler, not to mention that it frequently switched from ice cold to scolding hot. i traveled with small children who throughout the trip deveoped bug bites on their legs. at the time I ignored it and assumed they were mosquito bites. only to come home and realize we had been sleeping in a bed full of bed bugs! my worst fear!!! i called the motel a few days after my stay to inform them and they could not be the least concerned. overall seems cheap at the time but you will bring back some unexpected friends that will end up costing you and your family alot more than you bargained for. i would have rathered sleeped on the street.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 519ninas
Dickie L, Manager at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

This is a very suspicious review! There has NOT been any issue whatsoever, with the accusation of bugs. No incidents before the weekend that you supposedly stayed, nor after the weekend you supposedly stayed. If there was such issues, those issues have to be taken care of professionally. This means that there would have been many more complaints. As can be seen from all of the other reviews this year, this motel has had nothing but great reviews. I and our staff take much pride in that.
If anyone knows anything about what you are implying, they know that such an issue would have to be addressed immediately. Also, the next guests in the room you supposedly stayed in would have experienced the same, because as I said before, that type of problem does not go away. Any records will show we have NOT had such problems. Furthermore, NOT any of our staff received such a phone call.
Call the manager, let him know the actual name the supposed room was under, and the dates that you supposedly stayed, and the room number that you supposedly stayed in.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Let me preface this by saying I do not like OCMD and was only there because I had to be. I prefer a smaller beach town with less rowdy teens and twenty somethings with absolutely no manners or regard for anyone around them.

I had to be in OCMD for one night in high season. There is no way I was going to spend $300+ for a room or stay more than one night. And I did not want to stay in some far off town due west.

The Thunderbird fit the bill perfectly!!! I was able to get one Saturday night for $183 plus tax, which is outrageously expensive for this level of quality and amenities anywhere else, but not at the beach on a Saturday in August.

We got there early and the room was not ready. The front desk people were just meh, not pleasant or particularly hospitable, but not rude either. And check in went very quickly and flawlessly. They let me use their changing room, which was a room with a toilet, sink and shower stall and it was spotless. Not even any sand. There needs to be some hooks to hang clothes, though. There weren't in the rooms, either, and I don't know if that's bc they have not put them up since painting or they purposefully do not have them bc they get ripped off the wall.

The room was very, very clean. Not brand new modern, but clean.

There is no hair dryer or shampoo, so bring your own. There were 4 small soaps. No closet, but a double rod in the room just outside the bathroom to hang clothes (but no wall hooks). There was a small fridge and microwave.

Bedding was clean and white. There were 4 pillows on each bed, but they were on the flat side. Bedspreads that were clean looking, but no blankets. Towels were not great quality but there were 4.

New flat panel tv's. A/C worked great. It was in the back of the room, so when my "neighbors" stood outside to smoke, it didn't get drawn in the room. Safe in room. The bed wasn't necessarily hard; it was not soft either. It was kind of flat and had a great bounce to it like a trampoline. I slept just fine.

The pool looked nice, but we did not have time to use it. The beach was less than a block away, very easy access. There is an amusement park across the highway that runs through OC, and restaurants and a McD's and BK within walking distance.
All in all, the Thunderbird is a good, reasonably priced option in OCMD if you like OCMD. And Betty should get a raise!

Room Tip: 3 stories, no elevator. Plan accordingly.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maxieboy95
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have stayed here in the past with our kids. This year it was just the two of us. We arrived and they had no parking. Luckily we found a spot right in front, and our room was on the second floor.
What we like about this place is the convenience. It is a 1/2 block from the beach, not far from restaurants, and other activities. The pool was actually warm too. The staff for the most part was friendly. We love to walk. Only 5 blocks from the boardwalk.
The irritating things. The maid service was slow. Two out of the three nights had trouble sleeping. We had some very inconsiderate people that stayed on the third floor. Two nights straight they played the music very loud at 2:30 am to close to 4:00 am. Several people would also run down the hall. We had trouble sleeping those nights. It was really disturbing because we had a 5 hour trip home with very little sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dickie L, Manager at Thunderbird Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for your comments and review.
I am very sorry to hear that you did not sleep well. We do have someone at the desk 24 hours per day. Our 12am to 8am clerk does very well at trying to keep the peace. It helps if things are brought to our attention. We certainly want everyone to be comfortable and relaxed as possible.
Thank you for staying with us again, and we hope to see you in the future!