“Terrible nighttime Manager... look out for Bob” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thunderbird Beach Motel

Thunderbird Beach Motel
Ranked #69 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Brooklyn, New York
“Terrible nighttime Manager... look out for Bob”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Myself and 2 girlfriends checked in after 7 pm. After we checked in, we left our stuff in the room and headed out for dinner and drinks. We arrived back to the motel at 2:30am and observed multiple men sitting on the balcony by our room 311, drinking and making a lot of noise. as we approached our room (we are pretty girls) the guys started to holler trying to talk to us. We ignored those guys and proceeded to enter our room. About 1 minute after we entered the room, there was a knock at the door. It was Bob, the nighttime staff member at Thundrbird. I opened the door because he had the hotel shirt on. as soon as I opened the door, he started yelling at me saying that if we keep it up, we will be evicted. I asked him "keep what up??? we just got here a minute ago." then Bob says "If I get one more complaint, you're out of here". I was really confused at that point and said to him "Sir we just got here and I have a complaint myself, those drunk guys sitting by the door are being really loud and unruly"
At that point I closed the door and observed Bob go over and talk to those guys. he was talking to them, not yelling like he was yelling at us. about 2 minutes afterwards, he came and knocked the door again. I opened it and as soon as I opened the door, Bob started yelling again saying " you know what, I can evict you guys if I want" I said "Sir I don't understand what your problem is with us, we just got here and we are getting ready to eat... Are you okay??" that's when he started to yell again with this scary look on his face saying "You have 15 minutes to leave. I am evicting you guys"
I was completely shocked. I asked him why. Bob said "because I said so" Then I explained to him that its 2:30 am, we just got here and we haven't made any noise, its not fair. That's when he said "I don't care" I then told him that the three of us have been drinking and we are not driving under the influence. That's when Bob says "well im calling the cops" ABout 15 minutes later, Bob came back with 2 police officers to escort us out of the motel. at this time, we packed our stuff and asked him for a refund so that we can pay another motel to stay in. The cop said that I had to go back in the morning for my refund.
I went back that morning 11am and spoke to Dicky, the motel manager. I explained everything that happened and asked for my refund. He said that all my debit card information was in the computer and that he will credit my account.
I emailed the motel and got no reply. I call the Motel and he dodges my phone calls, and its been almost 2 months now and I haven't received my refund.
I want to complain about Bob. there are multiple complaints online about Bob and he really needs to be aware that his behavior is unacceptable. We really risked our lives that night because we were forced to leave the motel and drive under the influence because he didn't even allow us to leave the vehicle there til the morning. Bob said "take all your property off my property" when asked if we could leave the car since we cant drive. we could've lost our life that night.

Room Tip: A room on the first floor... there are no elevators
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank Angelica P

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Thunderbird Beach Motel, the last weekend in September. Well it was scary..Evidently there was a VW/Audo car rally going on at that time, which I was not aware of. The other occupants in the motel were yelling and screaming all night, drinking and partying on the balconies, revving the engines, banging on the doors. I called the front desk several times though the night and the commotion continued. This was not family friendly!!! Our car was hit through the night in the parking lot to boot. Upon check out I mentioned the mayhem to the women who were working in the lobby, they acted like nothing happened.... This was Motel Hell!!!

Room Tip: Pick a safe weekend!!! You won't get help here from the staff
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Karen S

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Dewey Beach, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very helpful staff and very clean rooms. Beds were comfortable and since we were there after Labor Day for 2 nights the pool was not crowded and it was heated which was a special plus. We forgot an item when we left and the staff found it immediately and we were able to get it back the following week. If we go to Ocean City again we will plan to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jen T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed 2 nights, just for a Minnie get away from Baltimore. And I loved it. It was clean, the staff was nice, and the price was reasonable. The only thing I didn't like was, we had to walk a long way on the board walk to get to the main attractions on the beach. I also didn't like that the pool at the motel closed at 9:00 pm. I believe adults over the age of 18, or 21 should have access. Because during the day, when I wanted to swim there were kids constantly. They were constantly jumping in and out of the pool, and they were taking the water from the pool, putting some in their mouths, and spitting the water back out on each other. Yuck!!!!! (And of course their parents had nothing to say), I was pissed! But overall it was a nice stay. We will not book this again though, we will book a hotel closer to the attractions on the beach, and with a all night pool.

Jersey City, New Jersey, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel was a great place to stay at for a short vacation. Restaurants are close by, easy access to the beach which was right behind the hotel. Boardwalk is a close walk. Nothing really to do there though. There's an amusement park across the street.

Fairfax, Virginia, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here in August of 2012 and were happy with our stay. Even though the motel dates from the `60's, the rooms were clean, comfortable, and had decent amenities. My friend and I were actually impressed that the the room had a new flat scree LCD TV.

The staff at the Thunderbird Motel were VERY nice and VERY helpful. My friend found out that the motel is actually a family run business.

The location is also really good considering it is toward the upper end of the beach. The beach itself was with in a few steps of the motel, and we had easy access to everything else. Also, while the motel is not actually on the Board Walk, it is close enough.

All in all, both my friend and I were very happy with our stay, I would recommend the motel to our friends.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Great location, prices are decent comparing others. My only gripe is you get soap but no shampoo. Just remember to bring your own. You can really expect a lot from a place like this. Bathrooms are a little cramped. Overall for the value and location I would come back.

1 Thank Myke I