“Lack of attention to details.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront

Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Lack of attention to details.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

I am a huge fan of the Courtyard Marriott properties. I agree with the exceptional value of price, location, beach access, modern and up to date compared to the rest of the city, etc.

During our stay we had two fire drills requiring evacuation two days in a row and on the third of our fourth day of stay, construction in the privately owned condos on the 5th floor.

During reservations and at check in at 11p on our day of arrival I specifically indicated we were on our third honeymoon.  We were placed in a room between two babies which makes for not so hot honeymoon ambiance to a childless couple. I was asked if we enjoyed our balloons and gift from the hotel that was not present in my room. I was told it must have been overlooked, which I guess I was supposed to take as they were going to continue to overlook it as we never received anything.  The night person was extremely sweet and accomodating.

In terms of our room the fixtures, furniture, beds, etc were all the highest you expect when it comes to a Courtyard, however the bathroom was lacking. Toothpaste splatters on the door and under the mirror, splatters of unknown on the wall under the toilet paper, on the picture on the wall and on the frosted glass in the shower stall. Leftover razor case cover in the shower along with some mold on the shower curtain and some leftover hairs on the walls just showed a blatent lack of attention to detail. Lastly a glass with cigarettes on the balcony and poorly cleaned sliding glass doors and multiple questionable stains on the carpet just left an overall ugh feeling of the room. TV doesn't have on demand or it was a mystery to access it by two tech-savvy individuals.  I swam at the pool which was ok but I agree could never handle a rainy day during the summer. There are no amenities in the changing rooms including a bench or hooks on the walls or a shower curtain to keep the water from getting all over the floor.

A simple review of the rooms and the property could easily create a list of simple cleaning changes or amenity review could make a huge difference at this property when it comes to the details.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gamertravels
cyoceancity, General Manager at Courtyard Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this review, 3 April 2010
We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write your review.

We take all of the comments, questions and concerns from our guests very seriously.

They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and most importantly, telling us how we can improve our service and facilities.

We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again.

Richard J Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

We booked ajoining rooms for ourselves and our extended family. We had oceanfront rooms and that had a small balcony area that would be nice during the summer months. Great place!! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Guest rooms and comman areas were very clean and quite tastfully decorated. The lobby has two large screen computers with full internet access. We were there in December so the hotel was not terribly busy but still had a good number of people staying. We enjoyed both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant which is a true restraurant.....no cafeteria feel. The food was wonderful and the waitstaff was very kind. There is also a full bar with TV so the guys in our group could enjoy "the game". The pool/hot tub area was wonderful with walls of windows all around. There are 2 changing areas with showers and 2 separate bathrooms next to the pool area.
Overall, it was a very comfortable/ positive experience. We did not feel trapped in our rooms as the hotel has great comman spaces to sit, relax, and enjoy a drink or read the paper. In the summer the location would be ideal....right on the boardwalk!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank seagull88
Thank you for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City. Your comments are very much appreciated. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the staff at the Courtyard Ocean City. If we can assist you in any future travel needs please do not hesitate to contact me.

Richard Smith
Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

We LOVED our stay at the Courtyard. I have been traveling for business for 20 years, and I am very particular about hotels. This property is just beautiful - still looks and smells brand new, rooms are huge and extremely clean, and you can't beat the location. I would have been perfectly content just staying in the room all weekend - that's how inviting it was. It has been my experience that most of the hotels in OC are pretty run-down, so we were pleasantly surprised with the Courtyard. For those familiar with Courtyards, don't expect the usual breakfast buffet - this property has an actual sit-down restaurant that serves food all day. We only went there for breakfast, but the food was fresh, delicous and very reasonably priced. Trust me, you can't go wrong at the Courtyard!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Coppercat
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Stayed New Years Eve and New Yrs Day Nite. Just opened in July so everything is quite new. A really nice room, great location. Use Priceline and bid the room. I think I had the best deal in OCMD. Would stay again and recommend, though at the reduced priceline price. The normal rate for OCMD in the winter is high.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flyersfan090
baltimore,maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

Stayed there for new years eve weekend. Hotel was very clean and staff was very nice. stayed in a room on the 3rd floor all night you could hear the elvator, the door for the exit slam,and heat would make a loud bang when it shutoff.we also had a fire alarm go off at 6 am. I would recommend this hotel for a couple but for a family the rooms would be a tight fit. even though we did not use the indoor pool it was very small and would not be able to handle a rainy day in the summer.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hbighamjr
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

I am a longtime Marriott silver elite member with over 120k points. I stayed at the OC MD property the first week it was open in August 2009 and paid around $180 a night. The location is nice and the decor and property was brand new. I reserved several rooms for summer 2010 at the “long term stay rate” which was 7 nights.

Six months later in December 2009 I was charged a one night deposit for one of the reservations. I had to call silver elite customer service who indicated I should not have had my card charged for that reservation or any of my other reservations. After two phone calls to Marriott I received a response from the OC MD hotel manager indicating they were charging one night deposits for summer 2010 but he was refunding my card. He acted like he was doing me a favor by dropping the requirement even though it was clearly NOT in my rate rules and I had never been charged a one night deposit before in seven years of Marriott lodging. Of course I then get my card charged for my other reservations and had to have these fixed too.

A few weeks later in December 2009 (before Christmas) Marriott contacts me saying there was a problem with my reservations for summer 2010 and they were researching the issue. Uhhh ok.

I am then contacted by another Marriott employee soon after that and they tell me there was a “human error” with the rates of my reservations (why is that my problem?) and the Marriott employee changed my rates on my reservations to $300-400 per night. If I didn’t like the new rate which was now tripled I could cancel the reservations) and they would then give me a lousy $100 Marriott cheque (I had to cancel all of them to be eligible). I was told this a very equitable solution (tripling the cost of my reservations after months of planning is equitable?).

Never mind that I am a silver elite member who had the reservations for almost six months and the rate was guaranteed. They went into the system sabotaging everyone of my confirmation #’. Bah humbug.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LineMountain
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

Writing this while in hotel. Arrived early (12:00) and the room was ready! Building is new and clean. Right on the Boardwalk, 15 blocks from the main activity. Inside pool with small "Conversation Pit" not a hot tub, but nice anyway. Staff nice, room nice, frig & microwave, wire & wireless internet. Balconies small, but nice to watch the ocean and boardwalk. Restaurant on site seems nice, but expensive, did not eat there.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family