“Comfortable, clean and convenient location”

Gateway Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable, clean and convenient location”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed during the weekend recently at Sleep Inn. The room was spotlessly clean with nice bed and pillows. The staff were helpful and the breakfast was filling with good choices. The hotel was a block from the boardwalk and the beach. Every room has a balcony overlooking the streets. At night time, we heard someone banging the door really loud and we hope it was just some rude kids who were probably locked out. We had two minor complaints: (1) With several parking spaces squeezed into a tiny location, it was extremely difficult to park or pull out. Watch out for dings in the car (2) The automate wake-up call system did not work, but we were in no hurry to leave OC, so it was not an issue for us. If you are coming to the hotel for the first time, stay on the left lane on Rte. 50 (Division Street), as you have to go around the Main entrance, make a left, another left at the light (Phila. avenue) and immediate left into the parking lot. We missed the lot once and made a circle to get back. Overall, we enjoyed the stay and recommend this hotel. We love OC, Maryland.

1 Thank pilgrim_in_pr0gress
Tekmen, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thanks for the comments, pilgrim_in_pr0gress. I’m glad that you enjoyed our Hotel and I appreciate the kind words. Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Kind Regards,
Nick Tekmen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New York
Reviewed 11 August 2013

After looking at reviews we decided to pick this hotel. At check in Don was extremely helpful and friendly. We had a king suite that was very spacious and clean. It had refrigerator and microwave. It did not have a tub but a very large shower. The maid service was very helpful in getting us a chair for our terrace because it only had one upon arrival. High floors to the south of the building all seem to have a view of the bay and ocean boardwalk. We were next to the corner room that had the big rap around terrace which is probably the best room to request. 5th floor appeared to have a very small terrace. Carol and Don were so helpful with any dining, transportation, and parking questions. Looks like one off the newest hotels in that area and was very close to the fireworks, light show, movie on the beach, amusement park, and boardwalk.
The negatives are crossing the street to get to the beach and boardwalk. The breakfast which could be nice is not stocked or replenished for the amount of guests in attendance. Server did not seem to in any rush to do so. She Seemed to be busy talking most of the time. It was included so that is a plus. Parking was tight but you are downtown so all parking is tight. Always got a spot. Would stay again. Carol and Don your hard work is noticed.

2 Thank zinniaNewYork
Thank you for your kind words zinniaNewYork ! We pride ourselves in taking good care of our guests and I am glad your experience was enjoyable. I personally will look into breakfast issue to ensure your feedback is used constructively.
Nick Tekmen.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at the Sleep Inn in Ocean City Md. The location was very close to the beach and boardwalk. The staff was very friendly and helpful especially Carol the manager. I called initially to inquire and she answered all of my questions. She is actually the reason I decided to stay. She and the housekeeping staff were hospitable and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and checked in on time. The rooms were spacious especially the handicapped room.
The two problems I had was that there was no microwave in our rooms (only offered for suites) and the breakfast was horrible. The staff was not good at keeping it stocked and with no microwave it was difficult to heat the food that we brought with us.
Overall we had a fabulous time!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank USTraveler1224
Tekmen, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear USTraveler1224,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay in Sleep Inn & Suites. I certainly appreciate your critique as your feedback allows me to focus on what needs improving. We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and can't wait to see you again.

Edgewood, Maryland
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August 2013 and it was an excellent experience! We arrived at 7:00 am and although check in is not officially until 3:00 pm, the manager (Carroll) allowed us to park in their lot. She also said we could eat breakfast there. The continental breakfast has a great variety and is really more of a breakfast buffet. The juice was available all day, so I was able to fill up my young daughters' juice cups several times a day. We were able to check in at noon and our room was very clean. We had a 2 queen bed room with a balcony. The bathroom was clean, large, and the bathtub was huge. The water temperature was excellent and my wife and I were able to take showers one after another and give our daughters baths without losing hot water. We never used the pool, but checked it out and it was clean as well. The deli downstairs had good food as well. The best part of the hotel is that the staff is very nice and the managers (Carroll and Don) do all that they can to make sure that their guests have a great vacation. I paid about $20 more a night for this hotel than I paid last summer for a hotel that was much older, smaller, and lesser quality. We have found our new place to stay in OC!

1 Thank MrBackert
Tekmen, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear MrBackert ,
It means a lot to me and the staff that you took the time to share your experience online. I was so happy to hear that Don and Carol took great care of you. I will be sure to share your feedback with them, and the entire team. They love knowing that guests appreciate their service.

Kind regards
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was our second year to stay here and we are definitely planning to return again next summer! It is only a block from the boardwalk and all the shops and attractions. The front desk staff and managers (Carol and Dan) are very friendly and helpful! Our room was spacious and clean and we loved relaxing on our balcony. We take our bikes along and once we park, we don't use our car at all - it's much faster to get around town on our bikes. If you want to ride on the boardwalk, it's best to do that really early - it starts to get really busy with other bikers and joggers by 8-9am. We love to eat at the Angler, it's within walking distance. and if you purchase a dinner, you get a free sunset cruise (a $2 gas surcharge was applied pp), and we saw dolphins several times on our trip. The waffles at the complimentary breakfast were delicious, but there was no variety in the daily menu. However, when you consider that it is free and included with the cost of the room, it's great! Definitely much cheaper to stay here then on the boardwalk and it's only a block away, but you do have to cross a busy street to get there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bev H
Dear Bev H.
Thank you for sending such kind, enthusiastic complements, I certainly appreciate your rave review. Your positive feedback allows me to know that our efforts are appreciated and you’re enjoying what our hotel has to offer!

Best Regards
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

This was the best hotel experience I've ever had. My girlfriend and I decided to spend a week at Ocean City before school starts up again (I am a med student, she's a teacher.) When we checked in, I noticed we had a bay view room, which was great, but we preferred ocean view. I called the front desk and spoke with Carol, the front desk manager. She said she didn't have one available that day, but that one was opening up the next day. She told us not to totally unpack, and she would let us see the room tomorrow. We did and loved it, so we were moved into the ocean view room for the rest of our stay. Each room has a balcony, which was very relaxing to hang out on. The hotel's location could not have been more perfect. It was a block from the boardwalk, and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. Carol had fantastic recommendations for restaurants and bars, and every hotel staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Carol made our vacation absolutely incredible, and we can't wait to visit Ocean City and the Sleep Inn again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jpiahd
Dear Jpiahd

Kind Regards,

New York
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We booked three rooms at the Sleep Inn & Suites through Priceline.com. Other hotels/motels were either 1) much more expensive or 2) very low quality. Staying in other motels in Ocean City in prior years this was a nice step up in terms of quality and cleanliness. The staff was very friendly including the front desk staff who accommodated us with an early check-in.

The hotel is across the street from the boardwalk, which is less than a minute walk. The bus stop is across the street from the hotel as well, which is nice.

We liked the complimentary breakfast in the morning and it was a pleasant surprise when we found out it wasn't coffee, juice and muffins. The breakfast included Belgium waffles, eggs, sausage, bagels, coffee, juice, muffins, oatmeal, cereal, etc. The deli in the hotel is very nice as well and the food is pretty good.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to someone staying in Ocean City, MD

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bmich81
Dear Bmich81, thank you for all your complements. We glad to be your new favorite destination in Ocean City.