“Up grade a little”

Ranked #48 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Gambrills, Maryland
“Up grade a little”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A nice basic ocean front motel with low rates in off season. We stay here when ever we can. They should up grade with a flat screen TV and provide ice machine on premises. The staff is friendly. It is one of the few motels that still offers smoking rooms. The elevator is a little slow and creaking. We will stay here again. It is at the end of the boardwalk which is convenient when the tram is running.

Room Tip: The top floor (5 th )is smoking and has a good ocean front view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mario A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
catonsville
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My first visit to the Dunes was in the early "80's". Since that time, I've stayed there at least 25 times. My last stay was October 2013. I still find the Dunes staff very friendly and professional. The rooms are still clean and comfortable. It gives me a great feeling of comfort when I arrive and the desk clerk "Aretha" greets me using my name before I state who I am.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank vafalu
Maryland
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had stayed here in the past and expected an older, musty beach-front motel. I chose it because it was in a perfect location and also because it had an elevator for my disabled travel companion. It turned out that it was very nicely renovated. It was clean and modern, with an updated and clean bathroom, no mildew or musty smell, great new beds, comfortable and quiet air conditioner, and an older but perfectly adequate kitchenette. We chose an ocean-front room with balcony. The pool was adjacent to the other building but just steps away and was clean and well-maintained. The location was just past the end of the boardwalk, with easy access to the boardwalk tram station, a bike rental stand, and there was a dune-buggy beach wheelchair that was available by asking the lifeguard. Plenty of parking. My only complaint was that the kitchen supplies were barely minimal, with no serving dishes and only the most basic utensils.

Room Tip: Higher floors in ocean front building have a great view of the ocean and the activities at the end o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tag1000
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a great time at the DUNES Hotel. Wonderful view of the ocean from our balcony. We usually don't go to the same place twice but we would consider going back here. Great boardwalk with slot of places to eat. I am not a big fan of swimming in the ocean so I took advantage of the pool every day. Not.sure why this hotel would get any bad reviews, it was perfect!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Redhead29
Roselle Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Beyond the motel giving us a room with 2 double beds- MINUS the pull out as we were expecting it was okay. It made for a tight fight, but we managed. So BEWARE when booking online and make certain that if the pic shows and reads for the room to have a pull out bed that you actually have one. So that was misleading. And it did not help since the motel did not offer roll out beds at ALL! Out room was 105 located directly outside the pool, not loud considering all of the other reviews I read. The pool opens at 10 a.m. and closes as 9 p.m so I think it allows for some quiet down time if needed. The location was not bad at all, fairly close to the boardwalk (no attractions are down this end though- but right off the beach)and many of the restaurants. The "real" part of the boardwalk (meaning) where all the rides and attractions were lcaoted at least 20 blocks from the motel. Please note there is a trolly 2 minutes from the motel to take you up to where closer to the rides and hoopla. The cost 3.00 per person each way! Beware it did not run as often as lets say the "Tram Car in Atlantic City, NJ". The staff in the motel seems fairly nice, the room was tight from my perspective. Free coffee in the lobby, and cable tv. Seems the guest were anyone from wild 20 somethings staggering to there rooms drunk to adults and families.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Everett, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend with two friends, their girlfriends, and my girlfriend. I had a great experience. We stayed in room 421 that overlooked the ocean which was great. I thought we might end up being crammed in, but the room was plenty accommodating for six people. The room came with two queen beds, a pull out couch, your standard hotel bathroom, and a kitchenette. The location was great, just a minute walk down to the beach. The motel outside (elevator and hallways) weren't the cleanest I've ever seen, but the room was very clean. I'm very picky about this so when I give it the clean thumbs up then it is definitely clean. I have no negative remarks about the hotel other than I didn't get to spend any time at the pool, but it looked clean and inviting. I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Stay in the building the overlooks the ocean (we had room 421)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend after my original choice had more than doubled their rates from earlier in the summer. The Dunes hotel offers many room options and you can get a great value for true oceanfront room, which i did. The rooms are basic, the furniture is old. But everything seemed clean. The kitchen is solid, large(practically full size fridge), decent stove and oven. Bathroom is small, but no problems there. The beds were fairly comfortable, not amazing but not troublesome. The pool area is pretty nice, especially compared to other OC motels. It is large for OC standards and has lots of lounges. Our AC worked really well and the maid actually had it turned on before we checked in so our room wouldnt be 90 degrees inside, which i was pleasantly surprised about.

But the reason you come is for the oceanfront balcony and it was great, there's privacy boards that blocks the room next to you and the 2 standard chairs and coffee table. I had a 2nd floor room and could still see over the dunes, but 1st floor i could see being an issue.

Its true the WIFI didn't work, which i was disappointed about. I brought all my devices so i wouldn't have to burn my phones battery 24/7 while on vacation. But that was about the biggest problem so i cant complain too much.

Overall, i come for the oceanfront balcony, the ocean, and the boardwalk so it fit my guidelines perfectly. For the price you really wont find much better if those are your goals. Id definitely come back.

Room Tip: Stay 2nd floor or above if you are choosing oceanfront.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family