“No smoking rooms a hoax”

Howard Johnson Inn Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #42 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Preston, MD
Reviewed 20 August 2004

The room accomadations were Okay but we were supposed to be in a non-smoking room and the room reaked of smoke! You could smell strong smoke odors in the room as if someone was smoking next door and the smoke was filtering in our room. All of the rooms in that area were supposed to be non-smoking. All our clothes had to be washed when we returned home because of the strong smell.

I know you can not control children but at 1 or 2 in the morning we could hear adults and childrens talking loudly from the room above us.

51  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 24 July 2004

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Howard Johnson Oceanfront Inn. I believe the only thing that saved this vacation was the fact that we were given a fifth floor room. I was told the fifth floor was a new floor,so therefore everything in it was new. The kitchen area and the bathroom were brand new as was the carpeting. The one bed was broken,I assume from someone jumping on it. The one thing that really concerns me though is the comment in the previous review about the cockroach. I saw one on my balcony the 4th day of our stay. I tried to convince myself that maybe it wasn't a cockroach but it was. That in itself is a reason I probably won't stay again. It;s a shame because i really liked the room,but then only because I was on the 5th floor which was new. I peeked in other rooms on other floors and they were disgusting for the money. Old and dirty looking. If you are going to stay here insist upon a room on the 5th floor.

50  Thank rockydoo
Germantown, MD
Reviewed 10 July 2004

Had a terrible stay here. The beds are old and not firm. They can't seem to afford fitted sheets and the bed sheets they do use don't fit so they are always coming off the bed as soon as you sit down. A hugh cockroach crawled over me in the evening waking me from my sleep. The television is missing 'knobs' and the remote's batteries were dead. The front desk service was terribly slow, with even the simplest of tasks, and the staff clearly could care less. The bathroom door jammed every time it was shut and then one is locked in the bathroom until someone from outside the bathroom helps push the door open again. The sliding glass door screen didn't work, again it took at least two hands to open and close it. The carpet was dirty and the couch was old and not clean. The water pressure in the shower was very low. Terrible and unclean place to stay.

63  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hershey, PA
Reviewed 25 November 2003

The rates are good for the location and ammenities but this is the 2nd year we stayed here and it just gets worse. In 2002 there were stains on the comforter (looked like blood) and not very clean. In 2003 we had to wait to check in so the room could be cleaned. When we got to the room there were feces and paper clogged/waterlogged in the toilet, the sink was dirty, the table was sticky and excessive dust on the tv hutch, there was no toilet paper left (we had to dash into the storage room to get some), the maid took our wash rags but didn't leave any because the she didn't have any at that time and our room was ignored one day even though we saw the maid cleaning the room next to us-she never came to ours to do trash or linens or anything (we even left the room for 1/2 hour so she would do it but was gone when we returned).

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 August 2003

I stayed for 3 nights and it wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst.
They are not as clean as I had expected though. Our room smelled like fish the first day we got there and there were bugs on the walls as if they kept the balcony door open too long. I only noticed them there when we got there but not after being there a day. The outside halls, etc. are not clean. The rooms aren't bad but they aren't as big as they look on their virtual tour. Also, if you get the deluxe room, the wet bar is not a wet bar - it is a sink. (Just thought I'd share that.) I don't recommend anyone sleeping on the pull out sofa bed. The sofa bed coils were unbarable so we ended up sharing beds. They do have a restaurant right at the hotel and they must be good because they were always busy for breakfast and had a line outside waiting too. The view we had was nice and for the most part the staff was nice but the hotel overall wasn't quite as nice as I expected from the brochure. The hotel is close to the beach and is along the boardwalk which was nice catching the train to the other end. The parking was pretty good too.
Overall, I would give it an average rating. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't what I expected based on their info. on the web page and brochure.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member