“Ok hotel”

Ranked #37 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Delaware
“Ok hotel”
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I liked the location of this hotel. I also liked the atrium area, the pool and the restaurant's atmosphere and breakfast buffet.

The room itself was in need of updating. It was clean but very old and run down..

• Liked — Atrium area
  • Disliked — the condition of the room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JeanneDe
carouselresort, Customer Service at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, 7 May 2009
Thank you for your posting. We are one of the oldest hotels in North Ocean City however we pride ourselves on being a family hotel that offers many value added amenities such as family movie nights, professional ice shows during the Summer months, complimentary beach chairs during your stay and much more. We have made extensive improvements to the property over the years and continue to do so in the future in order to earn your business. We look forward to your next visit to The Carousel and appreciate your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Chose this hotel for it's location (attending a conference down the street) and for the rate. The reservation process went smoothly and the rates were low. The front desk photocopied my driver's license and credit card (obviously no privacy/identity theft concern on their part). The hotel is very old and in need of complete renovation/revitalization. The ice rink atrium looked the same as it did in the early 80's (when I went there as a kid). The room was plain, but dirty. There were long hairs on the sheets in both beds, and there were about five pieces of gum on the floor behind the nightstand. The sink in the bathroom dripped, the screen on the patio door was broken, and the interior doors were all marked with dirt and stains. The room had a musty odor. The oceanside pool was nice and well maintained, and the back deck bar was new and clean. Acess to the beach was a short walk.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Jeff2007
We are sorry that your most recent stay did not exceed your every expectation. While we are one of the older hotels in Ocean City, we have maintained and made improvements to the building consistently. All issues that you have mentioned have been discussed with the appropriate staff members and we hope that you will visit us in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

new jersey
Reviewed 17 September 2008

Upon arrival some confusion at the front desk. Original reservation was made and charged to my credit card. I explained to the person on the phone that when we arrive we will be putting this on my boyfriend's american express card. I was told that would not be a problem. Not only was it a problem but we were both billed. We asked at the front desk to put the entire charge on my boyfriend's card. Well that was not done our credit card statements came in we noticed it and I made the first phone call. I spoke to Duran who works in accounting. He explained that if I needed to have these charges removed from my credit card and have my boyfriend's credit card charged he would need to call himself. 3 messages to Duran and 1 message to his boss Robin and not a phone call back!!!!
Just for the hassel of trying to get this thing resolved and not a phone call back. I would never stay at this hotel again. They already have our money and not in any hurry to do the right thing and return a phone call. What happen to customer service????

• Liked — I really didn't like much about the accommodations.
  • Disliked — room was not clean.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lumex1
carouselresort, Customer Service at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this review, 7 October 2008
We certainly apologize for any confusion when you made your reservation or checked in. We did try and contact your boyfriend in order to get the proper authorization forms signed by him so that we could reverse the charge on your charge card and charge his card. We contacted you and told you we needed his authorization. According our phone records, we were unable to get an answer when we phoned him however we did leave a voicemail message. As soon as your boyfriend contacted us and we had the proper authorization form returned to us we credited your charge the very same day. Once again, we apologize for any confusion however we cannot charge a persons credit card without proper authorization.
hopatcong, nj
Reviewed 16 September 2008

My friends and I had a terrific golf weekend at the Carousel!! Despite the few bad reviews seen on this site, the hotel was clean, the front desk staff and the golf coordinator were exceptionally helpfull, the pool was sparkling, and the bar and restaurant were great!! I go on multiple vacations every year and have learned that you have to take many bad reviews with a grain of salt, some are valid and some are sour grapes for reasons other than what is stated in the review!! I would not hesitate to stay at the Carousel again and plan on staying there with my family in the future!! Highly reccomended!!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank mideb01
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your golf outing and that our front desk staff and golf coordinator were exceptionally helpful to you. We look forward to your return trip.
wv
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My Family And I stayed at the carousel in ocean city, md for almost a week... well when we first arrived at the hotel and entered our room, It was soo bad all we could do was laugh and say are you kidding me for that much money? The beds are hard as rocks the pillows where soo flat everyone woke up with a stiff neck and headache, the bed comforters are soo itchy.. And let's say the bathroom is so small you can't even turn around in them, also the bathtub was dirty i didn't even want to give my baby a bath in it that's how bad it was..So we stayed that night and got up the next morning and went to the lobby to tell front desk about the problems, to see if we could get our money back to go somewhere else, she said they could not do that she could just show us another room, so we looked at it exactly the same terrible they are like 20.00 a night rooms...that there charging 340.00 at night for...so in order for us to stay comfy in the hotel since we couldn't get our money back was to rent a condo on the top floors which was theres also, they where a little better but still not good..we had to sleep with 4 pillows a piece lol! and no they didn't give us a discount on the condo we had to add and extra 300.00....just terrible staff there. I also had to go to cvs to buy disinfect spray to spray the beds and other furniture with. Don't let me forget about how thin the walls are you could here other people taking a bath or shower, and also when they flushed there toilets.! The Carousel i will never stay again and would not recommend it to anyone.. You can go somewhere else and pay cheaper and get a better room! the carousel needs some major updates and new staff! oh i just remebered we had got ice cream from there and it was freezer burnt..:( bad

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — everything....the outside looks nice..but look out for the rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We are sorry that your most recent stay did not exceed your every expectation. While we are one of the older hotels in Ocean City, we have maintained and made improvements to the building consistently. While trying to research your stay, we could not find any guest that moved from a hotel room to a condo for a 7 night stay in September nor do we have any record of a complaint for a guest that moved from a hotel room to a condo. Being the largest hotel at the beach, we have over 340 rooms and if you were unhappy with your room, we would have been more than happy to move you to a room that met your expectations. If you could please contact us at 410-524-1000, we would like to discuss your stay with you.
essex maryland
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I was hesitant to stay here after reading reviews (i booked before I read reviews) however I was really surprised. After I booked online a week later i noticed teh rates went down and I called to ask about a price adjustment. They were more than happy and polite to adjust my rate. I got there at about 230 and they were fine with me checking in the guy at the desk was really polite and friendly. My room was ready. It was clean and neat. True the hotel is a bit older but I would stay there again because their customer service was terrific. Everyone I encountered there was pleasent and nice. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank KateT2571
Thank you for your comments. We are a family hotel and we strive every year to give you more than just a hotel room. We truly appreciate that you recognized our staff and made note of all of the various amenities we offer. We look forward to having you back at The Carousel and thank you again for your comments.
Maryland
Reviewed 6 September 2008

At one time I viewed the Carousel Hotel as Ocean City's crown jewel; one of the only large hotels in Ocean City that even had an ice rink inside it. Its obvious that once you arrive its the crown jewel no more. The hotel is very old and in desperate need of refurbishment.

The good things I noticed was the helpful and friendly staff that worked there. The rooms are very large and the location is really good as well. I liked the fact that it has an arcade, restaurant, ice rink, snack bar and outside bar area. It really has all the amenities that make it staying there really nice.

The bad things are that the rooms are dirty. When you walk into the room it looks clean but its not. Once you get settled you'll notice that the carpets may not have been vacuumed and the bathroom has not been cleaned thoroughly. The ceiling was pealing and sand seemed to be everywhere. The room was obviously cleaned too fast. The indoor snack bar is adequate but the pizza is pretty nasty; the outdoor bar is much better. The ice rink seemed old and the skates were very worn.

Some other bad things I noticed were the overall maintenance of the hotel. The elevators are old, beat up walls and old carpet; the whole hotel is very worn. The indoor pool water seemed cloudy and the locker room bathrooms were very old.

The Carousel has some good points as I mentioned but it desperately needs remodeling. If you are a stickler for clean fresh rooms do not stay here. The hotel is very over priced during peak season for what you are getting; especially if you stay in a one bedroom room. Overall, since I have experienced staying here I would not stay here again. The dirty rooms and lack of maintenance is just not worth it. With the money they charge there is no excuse for not keeping it better maintained.

• Liked — Beach front, has convenient amenities
  • Disliked — Not maintained very well, not clean & old
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family