We have stayed in the Carousel for the past several years for all of our family trips to OC. Usually, we have a good time, which is why we kept coming back to this hotel. This year, I felt like I was in a completely different hotel. I'll just list things out...
1. Flies. Flies. Flies. Everywhere, flies...wasn't there a horror film about flies? Oh my gosh, they were everywhere. I tried to use the carousels restroom in the lobby and there had to have been at least twenty to thirty flies in there. We ate dinner in the atrium to watch the ice show one night and I could hardly stand it. Paying $100+ for dinner to have it mercilessly prayed upon by flies. Disgusting. This was not an issue in past years, I don't know what's going on now.
2. Call me selfish, but we paid to have dinner at the carousels restaurant "rink side" for the ice show. There are some spots of the ice rink where there are tables and the other side is for anyone to walk up and watch. There is a spot in the ice show where the performers hit beach balls out to the kids watching for them to take. Not one of the performers hit a beach all into the section for those of us who were paying to eat dinner....all the beach balls were hit to just the people who walked up to watch. The skaters also snubbed high fives to the kids at the tables during the performance. It was really crappy, IMO. This should be fixed ASAP.
3. I had to buy my own beach chair because the "complimentary" beach chairs have to be returned by 5 and we (and many others) stay out on the beach until 6 or 7...even the lifeguards don't leave until 5:30. The girl told me if I didn't return the chair by five I would be billed for the chair. I don't think so.
4. Housekeeping, or lack thereof. I never did get the girl to leave coffee stuff each day. Also had to ask for more towels twice. One of the days the towels did get left for us, they were on the floor by the bed and not in the bathroom. She never picked up the dirty towels ( I put them in a single pile in the bathroom). She also left us one night with one of the beds having a fitted sheet and just the quilt. The top sheet and the blanket were missing.
5. Hotel management, communications, and what not. My husband smokes electronic cigarettes that blow out water vapor when you smoke them. They don't have the toxins like normal cigarettes do. He used it in the atrium and a security person told him they were not allowed, less than five minutes later, the same person returned and apologized saying the he was mistaken and electronic cigarettes are permitted inside the hotel. The following day a security guard named Harry ( who I remember from past years and always rubs me the wrong way) told my husband they are NOT allowed. I went to the front desk to confirm and they didn't know either. Are they allowed, are they not, who knows...he used it anyway.
6. We stopped in the hotel gift shop to buy my daughter a bathing suit. While we waited for her in the dressing room, my husband bounced one of the beach balls they have like dribbling a basketball. The American woman in the gift shop said " stop that, if you hit someone with it they will yell at me". Um excuse me, last time I checked we aren't 12 and can manage to bounce a beachball without poking someone's eye out. If you don't want them being bounced don't inflate them. If it weren't for my kids being there, she would have gotten an earful.
7. Hotel management, communications and what not, part 2. We went on Wednesday to sign our kids up for the Thursday camp carousel. The guy told us they were all booked up and we could sign us up for the Friday camp instead. My kids were so excited. We stopped by Friday afternoon to confirm the times for drop off and pick up from the camp to find out there was no camp that night. The camp is only tue, thurs and sun. Well we were leaving that Sunday so my kids didn't get to go to camp carousel. This is not the desk guys fault, he was very apologetic. It is the fault of the hotel management for not providing proper training.
8. Ice skating. I put my kids skates on and tied the laces for them. The laces made my hands smell like feet. No hand sanitizer anywhere around down there. Should really put some hand sanitizer there if skate laces aren't being sprayed as well as the insides.
9. The breakfast buffet. Stale breads, dry eggs, flies on the pastries. Inattentive foreign server who did not appear to have proper knowledge of the food/beverages. Did not know if they had coke Or Pepsi products, what kind of juice they have, etc.
Taking each issue we had is not so bad, but all of them together in the week we stayed there was just intolerable for me. We will be moving onto bigger and better things when we stay in coming years. Very disappointing to say the least as we have a lot of memories in this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your family can enjoy a tradition of fun and relaxation at one of Ocean City Maryland's most popular family resorts. Come join us on our famous Ice skating rink or relax in our spacious atrium. Kick back and enjoy our beach patio with live music, exceptional Ocean City cuisine, and sip a frozen cocktail as you lounge beach side. Drop the kids off for ice skating and relax in our indoor pool, hot tub, or sauna. No matter what your expectations are for an ideal family vacation in Ocean City Maryland, Carousel has it all. We are Ocean City Maryland's favorite family resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carousel Resort Hotel And Condominiums
- Carousel Hotel Ocean City Md
- Carousel Hotel Condominiums