“This was our last stay at this hotel, highly unfortunate.”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have stayed in the Carousel for the past several years for all of our family trips to OC. Usually, we have a good time, which is why we kept coming back to this hotel. This year, I felt like I was in a completely different hotel. I'll just list things out...

1. Flies. Flies. Flies. Everywhere, flies...wasn't there a horror film about flies? Oh my gosh, they were everywhere. I tried to use the carousels restroom in the lobby and there had to have been at least twenty to thirty flies in there. We ate dinner in the atrium to watch the ice show one night and I could hardly stand it. Paying $100+ for dinner to have it mercilessly prayed upon by flies. Disgusting. This was not an issue in past years, I don't know what's going on now.

2. Call me selfish, but we paid to have dinner at the carousels restaurant "rink side" for the ice show. There are some spots of the ice rink where there are tables and the other side is for anyone to walk up and watch. There is a spot in the ice show where the performers hit beach balls out to the kids watching for them to take. Not one of the performers hit a beach all into the section for those of us who were paying to eat dinner....all the beach balls were hit to just the people who walked up to watch. The skaters also snubbed high fives to the kids at the tables during the performance. It was really crappy, IMO. This should be fixed ASAP.

3. I had to buy my own beach chair because the "complimentary" beach chairs have to be returned by 5 and we (and many others) stay out on the beach until 6 or 7...even the lifeguards don't leave until 5:30. The girl told me if I didn't return the chair by five I would be billed for the chair. I don't think so.

4. Housekeeping, or lack thereof. I never did get the girl to leave coffee stuff each day. Also had to ask for more towels twice. One of the days the towels did get left for us, they were on the floor by the bed and not in the bathroom. She never picked up the dirty towels ( I put them in a single pile in the bathroom). She also left us one night with one of the beds having a fitted sheet and just the quilt. The top sheet and the blanket were missing.

5. Hotel management, communications, and what not. My husband smokes electronic cigarettes that blow out water vapor when you smoke them. They don't have the toxins like normal cigarettes do. He used it in the atrium and a security person told him they were not allowed, less than five minutes later, the same person returned and apologized saying the he was mistaken and electronic cigarettes are permitted inside the hotel. The following day a security guard named Harry ( who I remember from past years and always rubs me the wrong way) told my husband they are NOT allowed. I went to the front desk to confirm and they didn't know either. Are they allowed, are they not, who knows...he used it anyway.

6. We stopped in the hotel gift shop to buy my daughter a bathing suit. While we waited for her in the dressing room, my husband bounced one of the beach balls they have like dribbling a basketball. The American woman in the gift shop said " stop that, if you hit someone with it they will yell at me". Um excuse me, last time I checked we aren't 12 and can manage to bounce a beachball without poking someone's eye out. If you don't want them being bounced don't inflate them. If it weren't for my kids being there, she would have gotten an earful.

7. Hotel management, communications and what not, part 2. We went on Wednesday to sign our kids up for the Thursday camp carousel. The guy told us they were all booked up and we could sign us up for the Friday camp instead. My kids were so excited. We stopped by Friday afternoon to confirm the times for drop off and pick up from the camp to find out there was no camp that night. The camp is only tue, thurs and sun. Well we were leaving that Sunday so my kids didn't get to go to camp carousel. This is not the desk guys fault, he was very apologetic. It is the fault of the hotel management for not providing proper training.

8. Ice skating. I put my kids skates on and tied the laces for them. The laces made my hands smell like feet. No hand sanitizer anywhere around down there. Should really put some hand sanitizer there if skate laces aren't being sprayed as well as the insides.

9. The breakfast buffet. Stale breads, dry eggs, flies on the pastries. Inattentive foreign server who did not appear to have proper knowledge of the food/beverages. Did not know if they had coke Or Pepsi products, what kind of juice they have, etc.

Taking each issue we had is not so bad, but all of them together in the week we stayed there was just intolerable for me. We will be moving onto bigger and better things when we stay in coming years. Very disappointing to say the least as we have a lot of memories in this hotel.

5  Thank cheermom1986
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Flies can sometime be a common problem at all properties in a beach town depending on the heat and which way the wind is blowing. I can assure you that we do take preventative measures and we do spray for flies each evening. It is not a constant thing at any property. As far as rink side dining, and having the skaters hit the balls into the dining area, we choose not to have them do that because people are eating dinner. If someone wasn’t paying attention, they could easily have a drink spilled on them and of course we would not want that,

The Carousel Group Hotels are the only ones in town that offer 2 complimentary beach chairs during your stay. We do ask that the chairs are returned by 5pm. We do apologize that this disappointed you, however we do it for several reasons. We do not want people to swim without a lifeguard present and because the lifeguards leave at 5 we feel that asking that the chairs be returned is not an unreasonable request. We also have so many other activities going between the hours of 5-8 such as camp carousel, nightly ice shows, movies on the beach and family photo nights that we feel our staff members are more valuable to our guests assisting with those activities rather than waiting for 2 beach chairs to be returned. For the most part, this is the first time we have ever received a complaint about our beach chair policy. Most of our guests are thankful that they don’t have to pay $12 a day to rent beach chairs.

We received no requests or complaints from your room for additional supplies or linen. Had we known you were having a problem, we could have taken care of this.

As far the electronic cigarettes, we apologize that our staff member did not know our policy on this. We prefer that all smoking be done outdoors and not inside the building.

We do apologize if there was a miscommunication for Camp Carousel. We can assure you that it was not intentional and we are sorry that Camp Carousel was already filled up. It is a first come first serve basis and we only allow so many so that it can be a great experience and all of the kids can receive a great deal of attention.

Your observation about our skates is simply not true. Every time skates are brought back to the skate shop they are sprayed with sanitizer. I’m sorry that you did not find the breakfast buffet up to your standards. Your comments will be discussed with our food and beverage manager.

We do hope that wherever you stay during your next vacation to Ocean City, that the hotel meets all of your expectations and they can offer you everything that the Carousel offers and more.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed for a few days. Was a great ocean view. Loved the coupons we got for booking online with them and also enjoyed the free beach chairs we got to use each day. The beach bar and grill was really nice and had live music. Inside bar was also nice with decent prices. Free ice show was fun. It was just my husband and I but there are definitely a lot of families with children that stay here. (Lots and lots of children) The room was surprisingly quiet despite the noise in the atrium. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank laurenke42
carouselresort, Manager at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of so many of the amenities and value added activities we provide for our guests. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room sleeps six but then they charge $10 pp per nite for more than 2 ppl. The room needs updating and cleaning. The blankets and bedspreads are dingy and yucky looking, we didn't use them. The pullout couch had food(crumbs) all over it and my granddaughter fed used to sleep on it. The coffee pot is too small making about 2 large cups per pot, the sliding door is so hard to open and close. The bathroom baseboards appeared to have mold on them. But, the worst part is the outdoor pool doesn't open until 10am and closes at 7. The Grandkids wanted to go to the pool early in the morning and 10am is too late. The flies were awful on the beach, outside of the hotel while playing games and inside the Atrium area, be sure to wear a fly repellent! I would not stay here again! Oh food is awful and pricy at the in house restaurant.

3  Thank LindaT350

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, however we do find it odd that you felt the bedspreads and blankets were dingy. We have put new bedspreads and blankets in all of our rooms in the past year. We apologize for the housekeeping issues and that you were not satisfied with our restaurant, your stay will be discussed with those departments. As far as the outdoor pool, please understand that there are rooms that surround the pool therefore we feel that 10:00 am is an appropriate time to open the pool so that those guests are not awakened by children playing in the pool. Unfortunately, as with most beach towns, when there is a west wind, flies do seem to invade the beach. We hope that your next stay in Ocean City meets all of your expectations.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stay away! We booked an ocean front room for $299 per night for two nights. The only positive was the view! The room was filthy and grimey. There was even fairly recent blood stains on curtains. When I go to hotels I always take off quilts and place them in corner since they do not get washed between patron. Well I found a long hair on the blanket, Yuck! Door to bathroom was so grimey. I called up the manager and he was very apologetic and had house cleaning come up. He said he would take off from the bill. Well, he took off a whopping $50 for a $600+ 2 night stay!
There is more. We ate at the restaurant the first night and our table ordered 2 strawberry daiquiris. Well no one could taste the alcohol and wasn't even good as a virgin drink. Complained and explained that there is supposed to be a shot of rum in each of the drinks. They took them back and brought another two. Not any better so they must be watering down their liquor!
Still there is more. My daughter left a bikini on the balcony. I called the same day we checked out and they could not find it! Can you believe it!!!
For $299 a night I expect a lot more than we got. It was more like a cheap hotel!
Will never come back only stayed because my son was in a LAX tournament and he wanted to stay in same hotel as team. I wish I could post pics of the griminess of the oceanfront room. When I booked they told me I was getting one of the best rooms of the house. Can't imagine how bad the other room would be. Yuck!

3  Thank Claudia K

We apologize that your room was not cleaned the way it should have been before you checked in. It sounds as if we did respond quickly to your request to re-clean and your review will be communicated to our housekeeping department. We can assure you that we do not “water down” our liquor in any of our bars and very seldom if ever have we had someone tell us that. While everyone’s tastes are different, we are sorry that the drinks did not meet your expectations. We do find a lot of items that are left behind by travelers and it’s too bad that we could not locate your daughter’s bikini. Being left on an oceanfront balcony, it may have blown off. It doesn’t sound like you took advantage of many of the value added items that go into our pricing of our rooms such as Free Family Photo night, Complimentary Beach Chair usage, Free movies on the beach, Free Ice Shows every night in the summer and so many more. We do feel that our oceanfront rooms are some of the best in Ocean City, and we do hope that on your next stay in Ocean City, that your vacation meets all of your expectations.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at the Carousel for three nights/four days. There was nine adults and two kids in three rooms. Two of the rooms the view wasn't the best you saw some of the ocean but you were right on top of the roof. The other room faced the highway and to me was a better view. The rooms were clean and the housekeeper was very friendly. All staff were pretty friendly. The location is right on the beach so you don't have to walk far. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel. There is two regular size pools and a baby pool. A moon bounce for the kids and a little play ground. There is so much to do here. I think it's a perfect place for families to vacation. If you want to be close to the boardwalk I wouldn't stay here then because it's about 90 blocks away and the bus ride is pretty long especially at night when its really crowded. I was highly recommend this place and we plan on going back next year.

2  Thank Mommy_2_Three_101214

We are so glad you enjoyed your vacation with us. We strive to be Ocean City's Favorite Family Hotel and it sounds like you took advantage of all of the value added activities we have for our guests. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

All pros: skate rink inside. Three pools with bar and restaurant on the beach. Beach very nice and clean. Indoor candy shop with Krispy Kreme yummy. Indoor restaurant sports bar lounge everything you need all in 1 place.

Cons: rooms dingy. Beds uncomfortable. Door falling off hinges. No dvd player to watch movies. Rooms and hallways in need of cleaning and painting and minor repairs. I still recommend bcuz you will definitely have fun.

Oh yeah dont get there breakfast buffet order off menu... buffet not tasty at all.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Sabbbby

First and foremost, we apologize that your room was not satisfactory to you. Your comments will be communicated to our housekeeping and maintenance departments. 2nd, we are so happy that you like so many of our guests took advantage of all that the Carousel has to offer. While we are certainly no the newest hotel in town, we are constantly looking for value added ways to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We went down to the Carousel for two nights/three days. It was 9 girls, 4 adults and 5 children. We stayed in an ocean front suite with the extra king room. It was very comfortable. The first night we were ready for bed and wanted to let the kids watch a little Disney channel. The TV didn't work! UGH! I called the front desk and they brought up a new TV! They were very quick! My friends daughter has a peanut allergy, so the chef at their Seasons restaurant made her a special baked potato and sliced it into fries! There is so much to do there! The ice skating show/skating, indoor and out door pool, beach, moon bounce, and pirate ship for the kids! The only problem that drove us crazy was the deck door! It was like trying to use the jaws of life to pry the door open! All in all, we said we would definitely come back next year!

Room Tip: I would do ocean front because if you stay atrium side you will be able to hear the music from the i...