“At Least the Condo's are nice”

Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #34 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Stayed in the condo section of the Carousel. I was part of a large golf group that usually goes to Myrtle Beach. Stayed at the Carousel, because it was the only place that our agent was able to book that would have 3 BR suites. Before leaving I was a little aprehensive about what to expect, thankfully the limited reviews on the condo's seemed to be on the mark. My portion of the group stayed on the 6th floor, for some reason this floor comes with housekeeping, don't know why and didn't ask why. The room was nice and comfortable, the water pressure was perfect and the beds were comfy.

The only problems we had were with the non-condo portions of the hotel. We were given breakfast vouchers for each of the 5 days of our stay, only to find out that breakfast was only being served on the weekends. Instead we were instructed to use our coupons for a free drink and either a donut or bagel from a concession stand in the atrium. That was fine for the first few days, but on the day we were checking out, the place was closed and there was no where to get anything to eat or drink in the morning.

On our last night there, we were talking to some other golfers who were staying in the hotel portion of the Carousel, basically every complaint the other reviewers had, these guys did too. All i can say is if you are going to stay at the Carousel, try to stay in the Condo portion of the place.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank rockland_ta
carouselresort, Carousel Management at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2009

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your golf outing. We apologize for any confusion that occurred with your food vouchers. All of our golf packages receive a free continental breakfast every morning and if you choose, you can upgrade for a small charge to a full breakfast buffet when our restaurant is open. During the off-season, our restaurant is open on weekends and when occupancy warrants. Because you booked your golf package through another packager, we apologize that this was not communicated to you. Our Atrium Bistro is always open to serve donuts, coffee, breakfast sandwiches and more. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion and we hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums

Reviewed 19 April 2009

We just returned from one night at the Carousel. The hotel is in bad shape...clearly some investment needs to be made in keeping the place presentable. The brass in the glass elevator needs major cleaning/polishing and the place just looks shabby. When we arrived at our room we had trouble getting the door open. When we walked in, what struck me was the lack of a feeling of quality or cleanliness about the room with respect to the bedding, curtains, kitchen area cabinetry, or furniture. The carpet was darker brown and stained in more than a few places. The curtains were a strange blue print with white stars on them. The lock for the sliding glass door was practically falling off. The furniture on the balcony was plastic and had clearly seen better days. In the bathroom, the molding outside of the tub was coming unattached from the tub itself. The bathroom door was dirty. The water pressure in the shower was very poor. They only left us with one coffee mug and the lid to the coffee maker was broken. I made a pot of coffee and it had that taste that told me the coffee maker needed to be cleaned. Forgot to mention that the mattress was extremely hard and the pillows were lumpy. Even the indoor ice skating rink is not inviting. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveler862

We are sorry that your most recent stay did not meet your every expectation.
Certainly, we regret if you felt housekeeping and maintenance did not do a proper job with service and please be assured that your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate staff and corrective measures taken. Being one of the oldest hotels in North Ocean City, we constantly strive to update the property and have received many compliments from many of our guests about all of the improvements and added amenities that we have made. We have replaced all mattresses in the past year and keep a very rigid schedule to ensure that this is done on an ongoing basis. Again, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your patronage and we hope on your next trip to Ocean City the accommodations and service exceed your every expectation

Reviewed 20 March 2009

MAde a reservation for 2 nights at approximately 2:45 P.M. change of plans called back at 3:15 pm same day to cancel.Hotel kept one day hotel cost to cancel,and told me it would be 24-48 hours before funds were placed back in my account

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerryJH

As with most Ocean City hotels, there is a three day (72hour) cancellation policy. All of our reservationist are trained to inform you of that policy at the time you make the reservation. We apologize if there was a misunderstanding when you made your reservation. As far as funds being placed back in your account, as soon as we cancel a reservation, we credit the account right away. If it took 24-48 hours to be placed back in your account than you should contact your bank about their policies. Again, we apologize for any confusion and hope that you visit Ocean City soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2008

Well we checked into the hotel about 3 in the afternoon, and headed right to our room. We had a king room with a jacuzzi tub, we didnt ask for the jacuzzi tub so im assuming it came with the room, but it was nice. We had a great view of the ocean, but since it was winter we didnt venture out to the beach. Our room consisted of a very small bathroom, toilet, bathtub and shower single sink and small hairdryer. Of course they had the normal shampoos and such, i didnt really look at them. When you first walk in there is a small kitchen like area, microwave, fridge sink and some cupboards, then you head into the bedroom where there is a very good size jacuzzi tub big enough for two. The only problem I had with the tub was that im really short and the tub was taller than my hips, getting in wasn't exactly easy. They should really provide steps or something. The bed was just next to the jacuzzi, noraml king size bed, mattress wasnt great. There was a small desk in the room, as well as a sofa coffee table and a table and two chairs. Our room also had two large sliding doors and a patio with table and chairs. I did like that there was a secure lock on the two sliding doors. There was also a large closet in the room as well! After we checked in we decided to go down and inspect the pool. We couldn't get in. It was locked. It had a sign on it that clearly stated that it would be open from 1pm till 9pm, but no one was to be found to open it. So I walked around and checked out the area. The ice skating rink, which is rather small is located right in the middle of the hotel. If you want to ice skate it requires five dollars for rentals. When we had made the reservation I had asked if it cost more to use the ice skating rink and was told no, guest could use it free, but then was told differently when we arrived. One other thing I didnt like about the room is when you walk in there is this huge window right next to the door, now the window has a curtain that goes over it, but doesn't cover the window 100% we had to make it with a clip i had in my bag, i dont like people being able to look in my hotel room. After dinner my husband and I came back to our room, I wanted dessert so I was going to order it from the restaurant downstairs. I went down and stood there forever, no one ever came to see if i needed help. All the lights were lit like it should have been open, but I guess they weren't. So I went back up stairs where we watched tv the rest of the night. They only have basic cable. About 11pm we decided to go to sleep. Well lets just say the walls are paper thin. We could hear everything our neighbor was doing. Plus there was staff with some kind of carts in the halls constantly and they weren't quiet. Then about 1am I had finally drifted off to sleep when our neighbor got a pizza delivery. The delivery guy pounded on his or her door and yelled Fat Boy's Pizza or something like that I jumped so much I nearly fell out of bed. We got up early the next morning and left instead of staying to sleep any longer. Not that we got much sleep in the first place. I was very disappointed in this place. I had considered bringing my daughter with me the next time, but I know I won't go there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jiwdurando

We are glad that you enjoyed your oceanfront Jacuzzi room. It is one of our most popular rooms because it does have the large Jacuzzi, a separate bathroom and a 12x12 sundeck rather than a balcony which overlooks the ocean. We receive many compliments on these rooms. Please know that your comment about the steps to the Jacuzzi have been communicated to our engineering department.
All of our oceanfront rooms have full size pull-out sleep sofas, coffeemaker, mini-fridge, wet bar and microwaves. During the off-season, Monday-Thursday, we do have limited hours with our pool depending on our occupancy however it is always open from 1-9. While you may not have seen an employee in the pool area, they may have been in one of the saunas or bathrooms doing regular maintenance. We can assure you that it is clearly noted on our website, when you make the reservation and throughout the hotel that there is a charge to use the ice skating rink with a discount being provided to hotel guests.
We apologize that you did not like having a window at the front of your hotel room. Many of our other guests comment on how they like this feature so they can watch our ice shows or their children skating from their room without having to go down to the ice rink. If there was a problem with the drapery not closing correctly, we could have had our maintenance department correct the problem promptly.
Our restaurant is open nightly and we apologize that you were unable to order your dessert. Your comments have been passed along to the appropriate manage to determine what occurred. As far as our housekeeping department, most rooms are cleaned between the hours of 8pm-4pm which we feel is the appropriate time to accommodate all of our guests so that they are not disturbed. Again, we apologize that you were disappointed Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns and we hope on your next visit to Ocean City your accommodations exceed your every expectation.

Reviewed 1 December 2008

We checked in for an off season escape after Thanksgiving. GOOD - Room was dated but clean and odor free. Service here was exceptional. TV did not work in the room, they had it replaced within 10 minutes. We needed sheets for the pullout sofa and they delivered them to the door in less than 5 minutes. Guy at the front desk and the girl working the skating rink was courteous and helpful. Room had mini-fridge, coffee maker, blow dryer. Pool and skating rink were nice.

NOT SO GOOD - Bed was uncomfortable, woke up sore. I can't imagine more than one night in that bed. Shower did not maintain a steady temperature. Breakfast buffet was tiny and not very tasty(although I didn't expect a whole lot being off season).

I would love to stay here next summer merely for the great service and amenities for the kids, but the Carousel would have to upgrade their matresses as I would be useless after a few nights.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank respuelk
carouselresort, Carousel Resort at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2009

Thank you for your comments. We’re so very glad that you took advantage and recognize all of the extra value we give to our guests and very proud that our staff took care of you. We are a family hotel and we make every effort to give you so much more than just a hotel room. We’re sorry that you felt your mattress did not meet your expectations. We want all guests to be comfortable and relaxed during their stay. Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate staff members and we are looking into your room and will inspect the mattress. Thank you for your patronage and we hope on your next trip to Ocean City that you stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 November 2008

I stayed in this resort hotel from August 11th through the 13th at which time our family needed to leave the premises prematurely to tend to an emergency regarding our beloved 11 year old yellow lab retriever - Rudy. Unfortunately, Rudy needed to be put down that evening and needless to say it was a hard time for our family. After explaining the situation and faxing the required documents to the Carousel Resort Hotel, the hotel management and staff never returned my calls or fax and DID NOT reimburse or credit our unused stay (over $700).

Outside of this unfortunate incident, the accommodations were outdated, low quality (our TV was old and sound quality poor -- we reported the problem with no response from the establishment), beds were uncomfortable, balcony only had 3 chairs for a family of 4, cooling system too loud, food quality was poor (there on site Pizza was perhaps the worst I've ever had), fitness center old, pool was small and indoor pool depressing, overall run down and not by any means worth the money.

The beach was nice -- but since it's public I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank rhanapole

We are very sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. After researching your stay, we have never received any documentation from you of your misfortune. Our T.V.’s are very modern and are much larger than most tv’s in standard hotel rooms rooms. All of our oceanfront rooms are provided with 4 chairs and a balcony table. We apologize that your room did not have the appropriate number of chairs. We also apologize that the food you had did not meet your expectations. We get many compliments about our various food and beverage outlets and the variety of things we offer. Our pool is one of the largest indoor pools in Ocean City and we are always told by our guests how nice it is. Our fitness center is very modern with up to date equipment. We are sorry that they did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your patronage and we hope on your next trip to Ocean City the accommodations and service exceed your every expectation

Reviewed 13 October 2008

I liked the location of this hotel. I also liked the atrium area, the pool and the restaurant's atmosphere and breakfast buffet.

The room itself was in need of updating. It was clean but very old and run down..

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JeanneDe
carouselresort, Customer Service at Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2009

Thank you for your posting. We are one of the oldest hotels in North Ocean City however we pride ourselves on being a family hotel that offers many value added amenities such as family movie nights, professional ice shows during the Summer months, complimentary beach chairs during your stay and much more. We have made extensive improvements to the property over the years and continue to do so in the future in order to earn your business. We look forward to your next visit to The Carousel and appreciate your comments.