“Pretty Consistent HIX Experience”

Holiday Inn Express Ocean City
Ranked #38 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I'm a fan of Holiday Inn Express, and this was no exception. We usually stay at a beachfront hotel, but due to making late reservations, it was not available. So we opted for this Holiday Inn Express in front of Northside Park. The hotel was very clean, with plenty of parking. The front desk staff, especially Josh, were very nice and helpful. The breakfast was adequate. We stayed for five nights. The outdoor pool was very nice and clean. The indoor pool was small, but I'm not a fan of indoor pools anyway. The walk to the beach was very easy...not a problem at all. It was nice having the park in the back of the hotel. We walked in it several times, morning or evening. The only complaint was the WIFI. Not reliable connection. Seems to be a known issue. We would stay her again.

2  Thank Tprwife

Reviewed 24 August 2013

First let me say that I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels. I was having a hard time choosing one for a last minute beach getaway. I always rely on trip advisor to help me make my choice. My husband and daughter booked this hotel and I couldn't have been more surprised! (because I had not looked at the good ratings first!) This hotel was great for a 2 night stay in the much more quiet north OC and on the bayside. I had never stayed up this far and would definitely come back. The hotel was clean- with my high standards says a lot! The room we had was a king and a pull out sleep sofa that my girls slept on. The king bed was great! I have trouble with most hotel beds being too hard,soft or squeaky and this was neither of those. The pullout sofa was your typical sleep sofa- with the uncomfortable spots from the framework. There was a table and two chairs to sit and eat at, and a nice comfy chair in the bed area to sit and relax in. The bathroom was spacious and clean!! There is a small but useful kitchen area tucked into the wall with a sink,small fridge and microwave and coffee pot. It was sufficient for our brief stay. The outdoor pool was nice,plenty of seating and not too crowded when we were there. The indoor pool was ok, small but they open up the glass doors to allow access from the outside pool to the inside pool. The complimentary breakfast each morning runs from 6a to 9:30a. The earlier the less crowded , but who is up too early on vacation?? The line will start to run long the later it gets. We chose to get our food and take it back to our room. The food choices were fine- juice ,coffee ,milk, yogurt ,scrambled eggs, biscuits/gravy, breads ,cinnamon rolls! and conveyor belt pancakes! Seriously the neatest thing to watch! The hotel staff were always nice. The nicest thing is the park behind the hotel-beautiful! Walkers and joggers each day,nice paved walk way, great thing to do and playground for the young kiddos. There are restaurants close by to walk to and the Abbey Burger Bistro is tucked into the side of the hotel- they have great burgers on the menu and you can build your own !! Even vegetarian options !! The beach is across Coastal Hwy- you can walk or get someone to drive the group over as we did and then walk back. The beach was not over crowded there. I would definitely come back here!! For the quiet,clean and cost with breakfast- it is a winner for me! It is also very family oriented!

Room Tip: The higher floors have better view of the park and bay.
1  Thank Michelle20113006
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We went for four nights. Here are my comments. The indoor pool was cloudy and the hot tub was dirty until they drained and refilled it on our last full day. The lines for breakfast were long. The food was subpar but typical for a hotel breakfast. No Splenda for coffee. I don't think they switched out our sheets each day but just remade the beds. They became full of sand by our last night. The room was super moist. I don't think the air units were pulling out the condensation properly. The staff was kind and polite. Especially the front desk people. We will look into going to a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scarrmd
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ocean City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear scarrmd,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is our second summer stay at this hotel. As others have said, great location and the service is consistent. Two things that are small, but still bother me.
The front door is a pull open door. Twice this trip, I had full hands and could not open the door! The front desk is too far away to motion or call them for assistance. Wouldn't a sliding automatic door be worth the investment? Most hotels have them. Second, we were on the 4th floor. The WiFi in the room really didn't work very well at all. Not a big deal unless you have small kids and thought you would be able to occupy them on a rainy day with Netflix or had to access the internet for something important. Disappointed with my call to the desk for help. Pretty much got an answer to try moving around the room and maybe you will connect....Sounded like they knew it was a problem. Not what I wanted to hear.
HI Express OK for a trip lasting a few days.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My family and I have stayed at this HI Express for the last several years, and while the experience is still really good by OC Standards, we noted some slippage this year.

First the positives...location is and always will be EXCELLENT. Lots of services in the area, walking distance to the Dumser's Drivein (always awesome ice cream), quick cross of coastal highway to the beach and a beautiful park behind the hotel for my morning runs. Room is clean again by OC standards, and the breakfast is still top notch. Most of the desk staff (especially Josh) is very welcoming.

What went wrong this time - first time I've seen them run out of cinnamon rolls, and trust me, if you have ever had these, this will make you upset. Second - the room wasn't cleaned especially well from day to day, inconsistent at best. Third - we got a bit of a dress down one afternoon from someone on the desk staff regarding the level of sand still remaining on our son. News bulletin...this is the beach, that kind of thing can be hard to avoid. They welcomed us to use their hose (seriously) outside. Take a few dollars and install a spigot if you care that much.

Still a good stay and far better than most in OC. That said, I do see signs of it heading in the opposite direction.

3  Thank rstravelerMaryland
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I always choose this hotel for summer vacations. I usually get a great room with the bay view which makes us very happy. But the rooms are always clean, my family enjoyed the breakfast but I really want to acknowledge your front desk staff. Jamie seems to always be there when we come although the day we checked she was off but she is just Outstanding. Always pleasant with a big beautiful smile and very helpful. We really enjoy seeing her everytime we come. Just met Keicha and she was very nice and accomodating as well. Keicha took good care of us at check in even though she was by herself at the time and there was a lot of people she was very professional. We had 3 rooms and a suite and they were ready for us upon our arrival.
My husband and I plan to be back soon. We had a lot of people with us, from parents to grandchildren so we need another vacation. Looking forward to seeing you all soon
Margaret Thompson

Room Tip: I prefer 5th floor bay side. We had bay side but could only get 3rd floor but it was good cause we w...
1  Thank Margaret T
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We arrived a couple of hours before check-in and decided to wait until our room was available. We gave our phone number to the desk clerk and went out to the pool area. We didn't hear anything for a while and went back to the desk-another shift came in since then and we discovered they had a room on the first floor for us but we didn't need to be on the first floor. Once they discovered that we had a room right away. Nice facility and a good location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple