“Ocean Over-Priced”

Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Davis, California, Usa
“Ocean Over-Priced”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The on-site restaurant was closed for the first three days; thought I booked months in advance and reconfirmed reservation by phone, no one told me this. I took a coffee cup from the cabinet of our efficiency and found it DIRTY!! YUCK! No compensation was offered by management just a week "I'm sorry". I don't believe they every cleaned the plates. The hotel sent me a standard e-mail with a link asking my thoughts and asked if I would like to be contacted. I told them my problems and that yes, I would like to be contacted and have never been!
Gym was mediocre, at best.
Only positive thing about the hotel was the outdoor pool/ bar and the proximity to the beach.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank 132CaliforniaGirl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Dear 132CaliforniaGirl,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
New York
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel can cost approximately 450 a night and if I paid this price the hotel would receive a 1. I booked this hotel for two day in August. The customer service is great. However, upon entering my room there was the most horrid smell. I give the staff credit for trying to address the issue. The smell was so bad we received an air purifier, deodorizes on all the fabrics in the room and a can of room deorderizer in the air vent. This is not an exaggeration. I tried not to make a big deal about it but knew I would immediately write a review based on this situation. After, all of the remedies the smell in the room went from horrible to tolerable the next day. The smell was better at checkout bit now we were leaving. After I got pass the smell I looked over the accommodations. Everything that is said about the quality of the hotel room is true. The rooms are showing signs of aging. Bathroom toiletries included an array of item, this nicest is bath and body works lotion. For 450 dollars patrons should be receiving l'occitan. People will pay this price because of the location on the board walk and the really nice kiddie pool. If you do not have really young kids skip the hotel and go someplace else. The restaurant coral reef was nice and try Malia next door for really good american fare. I have to admit I would stay here again because I have kids but never for 450 dollars.

3 Thank Tia H
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this property. It is nice to be able to go out and enjoy the fanfare on the boardwalk and go back to the hotel and listen to the waves. Close enough to experience it all but heavy traffic of people on foot and the tram stops short steps away.

1 Thank dtravelingkind
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is our third time there the location is perfect right on the boardwalk. The kiddie pool is perfect for young kids and very clean. The suite is big clean and comfortable. The staff is WONDERFUL so helpful and friendly especially the front desk. Maria the cleaning woman is a gem. Special thanks to Natalie and Amy for all your help and smiles. We will be back again next year.

1 Thank maw5391
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This was our third trip to Ocean City and we've stayed here each time. The hotel and staff are consistently polite and accommodating. The rooms are large enough for our family of six. The living room area is far enough away from the bedroom so that you can't hear the TV from one room to the next. Didn't hear anything from the adjoining rooms or hallway either. The only complaints - please change the rainfall shower head and the sofa mattress. The shower is nice, hot, and clean but it's a beachfront hotel. Need something a little more powerful! Also the sofa mattress is ok for very light, little kids but rough if your an adult. Room was clean, as always. The food in the restaurant is very good. Wait time can be a little while after you order but tasted great. Coconut shrimp, sea scallops, and other dishes were excellent. One more star if you change the shower heads and sofa mattress! Still the best of the bunch in O.C.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Jnkg441
Winslow, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Nice suite on the 6th floor but for business the WiFi didn't work. The dumpsters in the garage would smell up the lobby so they would spray it with something that didn't work. Other than that the people were friendly the rest of the hotel was very clean and it is right on the boardwalk.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tymtravler
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Let me start off by saying this is an expensive hotel. It was over $400 a night. We went with it for a few reasons. 1) it's right on the beach with 2 pools 2) suites (we needed 2 sleeping areas) 3) excellent location on the boardwalk. That was my justification before we arrived. After we arrived...

THRILLED with the pools. They had an awesome kids pool and my son was in heaven when he wasn't in the ocean. The other pool is great, too. There is also a small indoor pool, but we didn't use it.

The suites were great. The bedroom with balcony was oceanfront. Had a door that closed the rest of the suite off from the bathroom, kitchen, and front area. TV quality and channel selection was good. Kitchen had everything that you'd need. There was a table and chairs on the balcony and also in the living area. One disappointing feature--the sofabed was horrible. Just to sit on the couch was bad. Absolutely no support in the cushions. Then when I pulled the bed out use, I was shocked at how bad it was. There so NO support and you could feel absolutely everything through the very thin mattress. Seriously...they need to get new sofabeds.

The location is perfect because you are on the boardwalk, but not near the craziness. There are no rowdy bars or snack joints right below you. Everything is in easy walking distance.

Around 8pm on our first night, I called down for 2 extra blankets for the sofabed. They never came up by the time we went to bed at 9:30. By the same token, my husband never called to say "where are they?" Well, at 11pm--yes, 11pm--there's a knock at the door--"Housekeeping!" Sure enough...there were the blankets. My husband was sound asleep and shocked. I told the front desk staff the next morning and they were apologetic.

One other thing. We had the "Privacy Please" hanger on our door. We came back after lunch one day and housekeeping had dropped off towels INSIDE the room. Now, I know some will say, "Well, that's nice. He/she was taking the initiative even though you didn't want the room cleaned." Yes, BUT, we might have been in there sleeping and taking a nap with our child. I can tell you that I would've been livid if that happened. I think that is another example of the housekeeping staff not giving any consideration to the guests. So, hopefully Holiday Inn will see this and make corrections.

Rooms were very quiet. We had an excellent location at the end of the hall on a high floor so not a lot of traffic. Very appreciative.

One more thing...we arrived around 1:30 and were able to check in early. What a wonderful bonus!

Room Tip: higher floor, end of hallway will have less traffic.