“Great location!”

Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed in the Grand Hotel in mid-September. It is in the perfect location. It's at the quiet end of the boardwalk at 21st street. (The busy end of the boardwalk is the lower-numbered streets.) We were still able to enjoy a nice walk on the boardwalk without all of the commotion. Although, in September, there are mostly just adults and families with small children there. The hotel is large and we had a very nice ocean view room, complete with a balcony. It was very clean and equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. Beds were very comfortable. There is also an indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, coffee shop, and some shops right outside of the lower entrance (pizza place, ice cream, boutiques.) It is also within walking distance to some of Ocean City's most popular restaurants. We liked being right on the beach; didn't want to have to cross any highways. Staff was very helpful and courteous. No complaints about this place at all. We'll stay here again.

1 Thank gma6times

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Hbg,Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Had many issues with the property and staff! Door key not working properly,had batteries replaced after they said we had additional guests in room with dead bolt locked. Next morning door lock was messed up again! Services that they told us about when making reservation not available at time of stay.The restaurant only served breakfast and it was buffet style. We planned on eating all meals on site.The room carpet was damp to the feet,bottoms of feet left dirty with no shoes on.Had to close balcony door many times due to smokers on their balconies smoking when it is a smoke free property!Balcony door was like opening a cement door.Lots of drag,dirt in track. Not to mention you cant look thru the door the galss for so much crap in between the door galss.Mattresses worn out from prior guests sitting on sides of beds.Made very hard to get a good nights rest.I tried to hold my tongue,when we had the door fixed on the first morning the maint. man said it's not their fault.Then the security guy the next morning said the same.When we checked out I showed my anger and got basicaly the same not their fault!I know for sure it was not my fault,and we will never go back!OC was fine the hotel was a big downer!

3 Thank guest038
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
I am very sorry that you had so many problems during your stay. It is our goal to assure that all of our guests have a clean, comfortable and fully functional room for every stay. It appears that on this occasion we have failed.

I strongly encourage you to contact me directly so that we can discuss this matter and find a resolution that will keep you coming back to the Grand Hotel & Spa.

Yours in hospitality -
Patrick Staib

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Macungie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

The hotel was clean, the room was okay but nothing specail. the indoor pool was small. The lobby is plain and seemed empty. The View from the 10th floor was spectacular as we were near the middle of the hotel. I would give this place an average rating. Worth it if you get a deal if not there are others that are a lot better.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views the higher the floor and the closer to the middle of the building the bet...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grayhare
Delran, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed in a "Direct Ocean Front" on the 7th floor. The view was the boardwalk going North and the beach. We arrived at Monday, Labor Day about 3pm. They said our room was not ready and would call us when it was. The regualr time for check in is 4pm. We decided to take a walk down the boards. Received a call about 4:10pm and checked in. When we opened the door it was an oder like bad feet. The room was tidy and clean but the carpet was all lumpy. We're not sure where the oder was coming from but I thought it had to be the carpet. The room was large and had a balcony that is not private. So, when I went out to read there was someone else out on their balcony. The bathroom was small but clean. They had toiletries if needed. They had a restaurant for breakfast and lunch. We ate breakfast and it was good. The 24 hour coffee cafe has donuts and all kinds of bakery goods and will make breakfast and lunch sandwhiches any time of the day or night. Their coffee wasn't Starbucks or Ducan Donuts but was drinkable. Philips Seafood restaurant was across the street and liquor store and Dairy Queen also. They have a nice beach. They have a safe, and micro kitchen also. We asked for a late check out and there was no problem. I would stay there again but I hope they freshen the rooms.

1 Thank sandyg47
GrandManager, General Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back again soon! I'm very sorry about the odor you experienced, it was not "feet", it was Hurricane Irene. Thjis and many other rooms were subject to the harsh winds of Irene, consequently the driving rain was pushed through the sliding glass doors by the wind, Fortunately we were able to get the carpets lifted and dried out for Labor Day weekend. We did use deodorizers and disinfectants, but they clearly didn't last. Please be rest assured, our rooms normally smell as clean as they look.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

nice hotel on the extended boardwalk - views of the beach were nice - staff was friendly - rooms were adequate for an old hotel

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank frankie410
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We just returned today from a 6 night stay at The Grand. We had a very pleasant vacation and were glad that the weather wasn't what it was forecast to be.
1) The bathroom was really small. They could use a foot or 2 from the safe/closet area to expand the bathroom, or a corner sink with shelves for your toiletries would help. It's very hard to give a child a bath with that door. Even a pocket door, or the door opening the opposite way would help. There was a fan vent, but it didn't seem hooked up.
2) Internet access STUNK! This was really disappointing, as I had to check in with work and had a very hard time doing so. I was told it was because we were on 11, but I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Suites 3 blocks down on a high floor and their access was great. 3) They could use a higher chest of drawers. All our clothes didn't fit in the 6 they had.
4) The desk and other furniture is old/outdated. The room was certainly big enough for a 1 1/2 chair by the balcony window, or a small loveseat. The eating table could be larger. They should have 3 chairs on the balcony and a small table.
5) TVs were very disappointing. While the stations they had were ample, flat screens are very cheap now, and they could use some. Even if in the signature rooms. I paid for a signature room, but didn't get a robe.
6) The soda machines on each floor were nice, but I put my money in for diet coke and got reg coke out twice. The refrigerator in the room froze and exploded 4 cans that I brought, even after we turned it down.
7) There was an emergency evac at 11pm ish on Sat night. My daughter is disabled and autistic and had a very difficult time with the sound and flashing lights going down 11 stories on the steps. They should have policy in place for disabled people and contact them only if it's an emergency to evacuate. I saw 2 older people with walkers/oxygen and couldn't believe they had to go down all those steps. I felt worse for them than us.
Overall, I was happy with the room, the view was fantastic....but there could be things done to make the stay better....how about a USA today at the door in the am?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathleen W
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is a great oceanfront hotel. Location is perfect. Staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are clean and roomy. Everything you could possibly need is right there. I booked 2 rooms for 5 days. No complaints. This was my second stay at this hotel and I will be back again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, natually the closer to the center and higher up, the better the view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family