“Nice Beach hotel”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
new york
“Nice Beach hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

First and foremost, we enjoyed our stay the first week in August at Grand hotel and Spa. We arrived at Noon and was pleasantly surprised our 3 rooms were ready and our request was honored to have all 3 rooms next to each other. All rooms were very clean, new carpet, new sliding doors and new TV..Room temperature was perfect - with cold air conditioning.
Grand hotel was lot more then I espected - this is beach town..we walked out of the Hotel and were on the beach - what more do you need. Pool area was clean with plenty of towels.. Tiki bar service was good -tiki bar or SHED was in need of update.
Few things for management..
Our rooms were cleaned around 2 - 3pm everyday.. needs to be done earlier. ( I tipped her also )
The need of more luggage carts..more privacy on the Balcony's
I would recommand this hotel

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank hatesthecold
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for recommending the Grand Hotel and Spa to everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. This is not just our jobs but our passion and we are excited every time an opportunity arises to show this to our guests.

However I would like to apologize that your room was cleaned so late in the day. Our housekeepers normally service rooms until as late as 5:00pm due to the high levels of occupancy we experience on a daily basis during the summer months. We do provide service signs in your room to make the option available to have your room cleaned during a specific time period, just thought I would inform you for a possible future stay. Nevertheless I would like to apologize once again for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I would also like to inform you that we have recently purchased 3 carts in addition to the 20 carts we already have available on property.

I hope that you will make the Grand Hotel and Spa your only choice for all of your future travels to Ocean City, MD because we would love to be part of that tradition. I hope to see you soon and thank you again for all of your kind words.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Willingboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was a great hotel. Located on the boardwalk, oceanfront was wonderfull. Room was very clean. This is the second time we stayed this summer. Room was very large. Nice size balcony. Little kitchenette had plenty of cabinet space & countertop. Bathroom, beds & carpet was very clean. This end of the boardwalk was very quite & away from the crowd. You leave the hotel & walk across the boardwalk & right down to the beach. Very convenient. We plan to go back in September which will make it the third time this summer. So it must be a very nice place to stay because we would not keep coming back if it wasn't. The only thing that wasn't that great was the breakfast in the restaurant. Will eat somewhere else next time. The bar had great pina collattas.

2 Thank Gloria P
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for being such a frequent guest, especially for staying with us 3 times in one summer! We cannot truly express how grateful we are to have such a loyal traveler! However I apologize that your breakfast experience was not up to pair and I will be sure to pass along your comments to the manager of the restaurant. Your feedback will be used as a tool to further improve every guests' dining experience.

We look forward to seeing you again in September and please let me know once your reservation is booked because I would like to personally greet you. Thank you once again for all of your kind words and recommendation of the Grand Hotel and Spa.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We go to ocean city every year and stay on the boardwalk. This was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. The room was very large, spacious and just plain beautiful. I think the rugs were new as I broke my usual rule of always wearing slippers when traveling and happily walked on the rug. Also the bedspreads are white seersucker, very soft and you can tell they are changed between guests so I didn't mind using them for a change along with the fleecy white blankets. We had an ocean view room on the 7th floor and the view was incredible. This is the first time we all spent a lot of time sitting out on the balcony.Its on the quiet end of the boardwalk but close to everything. The pool is a little on the small side but there is also an indoor pool. They have a bar at the pool and they will also order food for you from the pizza shop downstairs.There is also a nice coffee shop/bakery downstairs that is open 24 hours great for grabbing late night snacks. Usually there is water pressure issue in the showers I thought was just a part of the boardwalk but the showers here were great, no different than at home. The bathrooms were clean and modern. The only problem was my daughter could only get wifi by the front door so she had to use the computer sitting up in a chair by the kitchenette instead of laying in bed as usual. Also there is a great restaurant on the 7th floor but it only serves breakfast if it also served lunch and dinner we might have never left the building. Everyone on staff was very helpful and friendly, check in was so fast and easy my husband went back to double check that we really were checked in correctly (we were). We hope to go back next year.

2 Thank Linda S
We pride ourselves on having the cleanest most spacious rooms you will find in Ocean City, MD, along with the friendliest staff you will find any hotel. I am overjoyed to hear that you have bared witness to our passion and that we have made another family's getaway a "great" vacation.

I will be sure to investigate you issues concerning the Wi-Fi access in your room and hope this does not detour you from making us your choice hotel for all of your future travels to Ocean City, MD. I can guarantee that we will continue to prove our commitment to making each and every one of your stays better than the last. Thank you for all of your positive feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
hampstead
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I have been going to ocean city,Md all our lives and have stayed in many places. We had a weekend free and decided to try the (stowaway) Grand as we passed it many times on the boardwalk and it looked awesome. Well, the only thing awesome is the location and the ocean view. Even though it is fairly new, the building from the entry way on up is not in good repair. The lobby and the rooms are cheaply and sparsely furnished and all the the hotel offers appear the same. The lounge, the shops, the pool areas all have potential too be fabulous, but aren't...somebody was way too frugal here, especially for the premium you pay to stay there. The front desk staff was all teenage when we were there(early July). We left early...very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't stay here..much better places fro the money
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandy w
I am very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. However I would like to inform you that we are consistently making improvements to the hotel year over year. New furniture was just recently purchased for the outdoor sitting areas of our main entrance, the appearance of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were completely renovated. Brand new LCD flat screen TVs were installed in all of our Direct Oceanfront Signature and King Jacuzzi rooms. These are only a few of the changes we have made this year to improve the overall experience for all of our guests.

Nevertheless I apologize that we have failed you and that our accommodations were not to your liking. All of your comments will be shared with our management team and taken into consideration because we take all of our guests' feedback very seriously. I hope in the future you allows us another opportunity to exceed your expectations and prove our commitment to making every guests' stay an enjoyable getaway.

Yours in Hospitality,
Assistant General Manger
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Was impressed with the quality and cleanliness of the hotel. Rooms were updated and clean, not the usual beach front hotel with sandy carpets, peeling wallpaper and shoddy furnishings. Bathroom was a little small, and other guests comments about the screens between balcony patios is true. Still, and much better than usual beach accomodation. A little pricey, but if clean and comfortable is important to you, then use some rewards points on this one. You won't regret it.

Convenient shops located in the lobby/ on the boardwalk are great, especially the coffee/ breakfast/ ice cream shop and Oh La La, which is so much nicer than the usual boardwalk schlock stores. Pool and bar are nice.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are shaped in a curve, so middle rooms are right on boardwalk and rooms at the ends...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeff S
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have stayed there 4 of 4 times and never a complaint. Courteous staff, clean rooms, excellent amendities. Indoor pool and outdoor pool were exceptional. I love having a cover and towel on my beach chair at the pool and enjoying a mixed drink from the tiki bar. No complaints. Will definaley return and stay for the 5th time. If it rains there is much to do in the hotel that you will never be bored. Definately recommended ***

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bhresp38
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Perfect location but rooms and amenities in general need some serious updates. Looks worn out and rusty. Beds are so cheap and the lowest quality, it's screaming for replacement.
This could easily be a top notch hotel in Ocean City, if the interiors and facilities are upgraded to current or at least 4-star standards.

1 Thank FAPRULES
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
I am displeased to hear that you were unhappy with your stay. Our goal is provide every guest with an enjoyable experience and exceed their expectations. I apologize this was not the case during your visit with us.

We are a very busy oceanfront property and like any other oceanfront property we do experience the normal “wear and tear”. However our team works very hard in an attempt to maintain the property and we are always working on improving the overall experience for our guests. Every year we are constantly working towards maintaining and improving the hotel, but unfortunately we cannot accomplish all of these projects at one time. Just this year for example a large invest was made to replace an entire's floors sliding glass doors. New flat screen LCD TVs were also recently purchased which are featured in our Direct Oceanfront Signature Service and King Jacuzzi rooms. A major renovation was also done to improve the look of our elevators.

Although we have failed you once, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to exceeding your expectations by choosing to stay with us again in the near future. I am confident that your next experience with the Grand Hotel and Spa will be a more pleasant one. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this matter further and let me know when you're planning on visiting the area again. I would like to make sure that your next stay is perfect!