“Can't beat the Grand!”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just back from my third trip to the Grand. It gets better each time! The rooms are large with room to walk around even with a roll-a-way ($10/nite). Several kitchen cabinets, a microwave and refridgerator. Lots of counter space in the bathroom. The view of the beach from the balcony is wonderful. They have placed privacy screens on the each balcany; you can still see your neighbor, but there is a degree of privacy now. Ample parking in the lot in front of the hotel or in the ramp garage next to the hotel. The fire bell did go off at 6 AM one morning, and it was helpful that in addition to the clanging bell there was an automated voice announcing in all rooms that an emergency had been declared and to not use the elevator but head to the nearest stairwell. The evacuation went smoothly and quietly. No one panicked; the fire department arrived within minutes. A hotel employee informed all the guests gathered outside that someone had discharged a chemical fire extinguisher in the stairwell which caused the stairwell to fill with what seemed to be smoke. We were allowed back in within the hour. The hotel put up notices in the hallways and elevators explaining what happened. There are several shops, a 24 hour coffee shop, an icecream parlor and a pizza parlor attached to the hotel - very handy.

1  Thank KMate
Write a ReviewReviews (3,782)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Where do I start. The first room we were given, on the second floor was run down, with peeling wallpaper and chipped furniture. Not to mention I was staring out the balcony window to the people in a run down hotel next door. I refused to even unpack and was assigned another room on the 4th floor. Slightly better, but still peeling wallpaper, dirty balcony windows and cheap plastic chairs on the balcony. The stench as you walk from the lobby to the parking garage was horrible. We made a joke of it, reminding each other not to breathe. On the first night at 5:30 the emergency alarms went off and we had to be evacuated. This was a horribly scary experience for the kids, as well as the adults. From reading other reviews its a common occurence. The only positive was the access to the beach. That said the hotel does not have a water station at the beach entrance to rinse your feet or beach equipement off. The station is around the corner, therefore sand is tracked in through the hotel right up to your room. Needless to say, I would never stay here, nor would I even recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you cant find another hotel ( and please do try!) insist on a room facing the ocean!!!! The othe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

I am disappointed to hear you will never return to our property and I am sorry that we have failed you. Our entire team works very hard to maintain and improve our property on a consistent basis, so I am disturbed to hear about your issues. However being a true oceanfront property we do experience the normal "wear" that any oceanfront property endures, but once again I apologize for the less than pleasurable accommodations you received. I know that you stated you were originally placed on the 2nd floor which leaves me to believe you booked a partial ocean view room, hence why you had the view that was explained in your comments. We do have upgraded room types from ocean view to oceanfront and would recommend one of these room types if the view was not to your liking.

The situation concerning the fire alarm going off was not a false alarm, but in fact an inconsiderate person who decided to discharge one of our fire extinguishers in the stairwell causing the fire alarm to trigger. We understand and empathize how frustrating this situation was for all of our guests, but the alarm is in place for the safety of our guests and employees. Our equipment was just functioning the way it is intended too.

Once again I apologize that we have let you down and I can only hope that you will allow us another opportunity to prove why we are Ocean City's premier hotel on the boardwalk. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

My family and I spent 3 nights at the Grand Hotel in Ocean City, MD last week. It was ok. It felt like your typical beach hotel that needs some updating. The service was really good (until I called to ask about my daughter's IPod Touch she left on the bed when we checked out). Everyone was friendly. The rooms were clean and the only sand on the floor was what we carried in with us. The bathroom was small - so small that you couldn't open the door all the way or it hit the toliet.

This hotel does have a lot of amenities and a great location. One thing we found really nice was they have showers in their pool area. We checked out at 11:00 a.m., went to the beach for several hours and then used the showers to clean up before our long drive home. That was nice!

Would I stay there again? Yeah, probably but I might check out some other places too.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 20 - 24 look directly into the rooms of the neighboring hotel.
1  Thank TKrobath

I would like to inform you that we are consistently making improvements to the hotel year over year. New furniture was just recently purchased for the outdoor sitting areas of our main entrance, the appearance of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were completely renovated. Brand new LCD flat screen TVs were installed in all of our Direct Oceanfront Signature and King Jacuzzi rooms. These are only a few of the changes we have made this year to improve the overall experience for our guests and we will continue to make improvements to the hotel every year.

I hope the cleanliness of your room, friendliness of our staff and our great location will overshadow everything else that was mentioned. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and I can guarantee that your next stay will be even better than the last! Thank you for all of your feedback.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

My family came upon the Grand Hotel by accident. The first hotel we reserved, long story, didn't work out well, so we started walking up the boardwalk hoping to find a nice, clean hotel we could afford. By looking at the outside, we were sure the Grand was out of our reach. After talking to the front desk, we were pleased we could not only afford the Grand, but could enjoy our vacation in a clean, modern, and friendly hotel! There aren't many places which accomodate price, cleanliness, friendliness, and efficiency with check in and check out. When we approached the front desk, the girl working the desk asked us if we would like to view one of their rooms before reserving, which we thought was nice. Wow! The rooms have so much more space than what we have been accustomed to. I'm a clean freak. I took my Clorox wipes and wiped the bathroom counter/shower, but *nothing* was on my wipe when I was finished. Our room had two double beds, two dressers, sink, cabinets, microwave, fridge, (all which came in handy when cooking/doing dishes), nice bathroom, clean balcony, great working a/c, etc etc...the pool was fabulous, both of them, as was the tiki bar by the pool and the fitness area. Truly, I can't say enough about the Grand. The Grand saved our 2012 vacation. Because of their superior service and accomodations, they acquired permanent summer vacationers year after year. We'll also be sure to spread the news to family and friends in case they want to plan an OC stay as well. The *only* downsides: the sliding glass doors were a bit hard to open/close and the wifi was sparse at best. But those are minor when compared to bigger more important factors when considering a hotel. Look no further than the Grand. You won't be disappointed!

Thank you Grand and staff!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary0820
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Overall not impressed.
On the plus side:
+The room was clean
+Coffe shop and pizza shop were good values, with friendly staff

On the negative side:
-The sliding door was a constant battle to open and close. We could hear everyone else struggling with their doors as while. It was so loud, I thought a plane was going by.
-No table on the balcony
-"privacy" screens between balconies provided no privacy or security. Anyone on our floor could have easily came on our balcony and our neighbor's trash blew onto to our balcony
-The elevators were slow and there were not enough luggage carts
-The pool was small. Didn't have enough chairs and the bar played loud heavy-metal type music.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

I am disappointed to hear that you were not impressed with your stay. However I would like to thank you for providing the the "positives" and "negatives" of your experience because your feedback can only help us improve the overall experience for all of our guests.

On the positive side I'm glad to see that you were happy with the cleanliness of your room and the friendliness of our staff. Now to address your "negative" concerns we do understand the inconvenience that some of our older sliding glass doors cause and have already begun addressing the issue. An entire floor received new sliding glass door units over the winter and we will continue with this process moving forward until all units that need to be replaced are renovated. Unfortunately we cannot complete this process all at one time due to the large cost and limited time period we have to work within each year. I would also like to inform you that we do have 20 carts available to our guests and just recently purchased 3 more to further improve convenience to our guests. We also have 4 elevators and have made more carts available to our guest than you will find in almost any hotel, but unfortunately when you have over 200 people checking out or in, all around the same there will always be a waiting period in between. Nevertheless I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. The rest of your comments regarding our lack of balcony furniture, privacy screens and our pool area have all been brought to the attention of our entire management team and will be discussed.

I apologize once again that we have failed you, but hope you will give us another opportunity to prove our commitment to exceeding your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further because I welcome your feedback and truly appreciate your time and business.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

First and foremost, we enjoyed our stay the first week in August at Grand hotel and Spa. We arrived at Noon and was pleasantly surprised our 3 rooms were ready and our request was honored to have all 3 rooms next to each other. All rooms were very clean, new carpet, new sliding doors and new TV..Room temperature was perfect - with cold air conditioning.
Grand hotel was lot more then I espected - this is beach town..we walked out of the Hotel and were on the beach - what more do you need. Pool area was clean with plenty of towels.. Tiki bar service was good -tiki bar or SHED was in need of update.
Few things for management..
Our rooms were cleaned around 2 - 3pm everyday.. needs to be done earlier. ( I tipped her also )
The need of more luggage carts..more privacy on the Balcony's
I would recommand this hotel

2  Thank hatesthecold

Thank you for recommending the Grand Hotel and Spa to everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. This is not just our jobs but our passion and we are excited every time an opportunity arises to show this to our guests.

However I would like to apologize that your room was cleaned so late in the day. Our housekeepers normally service rooms until as late as 5:00pm due to the high levels of occupancy we experience on a daily basis during the summer months. We do provide service signs in your room to make the option available to have your room cleaned during a specific time period, just thought I would inform you for a possible future stay. Nevertheless I would like to apologize once again for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I would also like to inform you that we have recently purchased 3 carts in addition to the 20 carts we already have available on property.

I hope that you will make the Grand Hotel and Spa your only choice for all of your future travels to Ocean City, MD because we would love to be part of that tradition. I hope to see you soon and thank you again for all of your kind words.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was a great hotel. Located on the boardwalk, oceanfront was wonderfull. Room was very clean. This is the second time we stayed this summer. Room was very large. Nice size balcony. Little kitchenette had plenty of cabinet space & countertop. Bathroom, beds & carpet was very clean. This end of the boardwalk was very quite & away from the crowd. You leave the hotel & walk across the boardwalk & right down to the beach. Very convenient. We plan to go back in September which will make it the third time this summer. So it must be a very nice place to stay because we would not keep coming back if it wasn't. The only thing that wasn't that great was the breakfast in the restaurant. Will eat somewhere else next time. The bar had great pina collattas.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gloria P
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you for being such a frequent guest, especially for staying with us 3 times in one summer! We cannot truly express how grateful we are to have such a loyal traveler! However I apologize that your breakfast experience was not up to pair and I will be sure to pass along your comments to the manager of the restaurant. Your feedback will be used as a tool to further improve every guests' dining experience.

We look forward to seeing you again in September and please let me know once your reservation is booked because I would like to personally greet you. Thank you once again for all of your kind words and recommendation of the Grand Hotel and Spa.