“One of the best hotels on the boards.”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
York, Pennsylvania
“One of the best hotels on the boards.”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We had a wonderful long October weekend. Hotel has excellent views, housekeeping staff and on site amenities were fantastic. Would definitely stay at The Grand again. The on site food service was great. We had Pizza from the Buona Vista and then had breakfast at the 6th floor restaurant. Both were very good. There was no noise and overall our entire experience was restful and

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TuckerandTill
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2012
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding your stay. I'm pleased to hear that you had an excellent experience and even happier we were able to provide you with a restful getaway. I hope you will make the Grand Hotel and Spa your only destination when visiting Ocean City, MD! We cannot wait to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for a weekend getaway.

My expectations were to have a great location and to have an acceptably clean room. The Grand met these needs. I really liked the view and the fact that the hotel is right on the beach. It was great because we could see the sunrise and the sunset from the balcony (we were on the corner) and the balcony was nice to be able to see all the muscle cars driving by for the car show weekend.

The other reviewers are correct that the wallpaper is peeling. The beds are nothing exceptional and that the hotel is dated. My other half did notice a stained towel. What I felt they did well was that my room didn't stink of mold and our room was cleaned well when we were out. We walked around the facility to check out the pool and everything we saw was clean.

I found the Grand to be average compared to other hotels I've stayed at in my travels. The front desk did call to ask how our stay was going while we were there which was nice.

For the money it was acceptable. If going in you understand you are paying a premium for the beach front location it is worth it. If you are going in expecting the Ritz you will be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GoCaps_2011
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay, especially coming from such a season traveler.

You are correct in the fact that we are not the Ritz Carlton, nor do we attempt or claim to be. We are an oceanfront family resort and our goal is the provided the cleanest rooms, along with the friendliest staff you will find in Ocean City, MD. Again I am happy that we were able to deliver on that goal during your experience with us.

We are constantly updating the hotel every year, but unfortunately all of these projects cannot be completed at once. New flat screen televisions were just recently installed in our premium room types, updates to our wi-fi network were done, the decor of our elevators and some of our elevator landings were updated. These are just a few examples of the updates we have completed just this year.

I hope you choose to make the Grand Hotel and Spa your choice hotel when visiting Ocean City ,MD because we truly appreciated your business. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Parkton, Maryland
Reviewed 4 October 2012

There's so much. Where do I begin? Removed bedspread and blanket because weather was too hot. Sheets had sand in/on them. Tile floor was covered in sand; could hear the "gritty sound of sand" beneath our shoes; I guess they don't vacuum the tile floors after guests check out and ready the room for the next guests. Tile floor had large chips throughout. Two lamps had 50-100-150 watt light bulbs but only the 150 watt worked; had to go down to the lobby desk to get two new ones. Mattress was damaged on one side and tilted and leaned; felt like I was sleeping "sideways and downhill". Bathroom was so small that the door only cleared the edge of the toilet bowl by about 1/4". Bathtub was the narrowest tub I ever saw. Vanity sink was also the smallest I ever saw. Vanity top itself had large chips along the entire edge; entire bathroom was a disaster. There was no air conditioning vent in the bathroom!!! Can you believe that? Also, there was no ceiling, air vent either. I thought it was a law to have bathroom ventilation. Awoke first morning at 5:30 a.m. to a man's loud voice; thought personel or staff were in the hallways, but that wasn't it. Our room had an adjoining door to the next room which was not soundproof. I could hear everything this man was saying. He was having a conversation with someone on his cellphone at 5:30 a.m. until 6:30 a.m. Throughout our stay, we could constantly hear the people talking/laughing in the adjoining room. YUCK! ! ! ! No "Privacy Please" sign available to us in the room; front desk girl wrote one on a piece of paper; later, we finally got one. TV was the old, large type and every channel was fuzzy. I was hoping we would have a screen door on our sliding door, but we didn't; I guess none of the hotels offer this luxury anymore; could not enjoy the air/breeze because we couldn't leave the door open because bugs were flying around outside. There are four elevators, yet there is still a wait. I have never seen such filthy chandeliers in all of my life in a hotel. There are signs posted for supposedly 15 minute parking in the entrance area to the hotel for guests to unload and reload their luggage when arriving and departing. Forget about it!!!! Those cars are parked there all day long. There is no 15 minute ruling that anyone pays attention to. You can park there all day long, and no one will ever care....oh, that is except the new guests who are arriving and need to park. The prices at the Java Beach Cafe are outrageous!!!! As a matter of fact, this whole hotel is overpriced, run down, worn out, old, ugly, and was the worse hotel we have ever visited. IT SHOULD BE IMPLODED!!!! Whoever designed this hotel was an idiot. Why should an outdoor swimming pool be in the back of a hotel, facing the highway? It should be in the front of the hotel so guests can also see the beach and the ocean. After we finally got one, we had our "Privacy Please" sign on the door the whole four days we were there. We didn't want any maids in our room. We got extra towels, etc., from the maids whenever we saw them in the hallway. They were polite, but could not speak English. We could have strangled ourselves for choosing this hotel for our Ocean City vacation this year. This whole hotel experience has soured us to the point of never returning to Ocean City in the near future. We still love O.C. though.

Room Tip: Do not stay at The Grand Hotel. It's a terrible place, and your vacation will be ruined.
3 Thank T A
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced. The Grand Hotel and Spa is typically known for providing some of the cleanest rooms and friendliest staff you will find in Ocean City, MD. I am disappointed in myself and our staff for not living up to our reputation and for the lack of service that we provided to you.

I have already made the Director of Housekeeping and our Director of Engineering aware of all of the issues you mentioned pertaining to the condition of your room. The sand in your room and on your bed should not have been overlooked, as well as the situation regarding the lamps in your room.

We offer some of the largest guest rooms you will find in the area, but unfortunately since more square footage was allocated to the "living space" for this reason during the design, the bathrooms were made a little smaller than you will traditionally find elsewhere. I would like to inform you that we do have vents in our bathroom, but they are on a connected ventilation system that runs through every room as a whole, opposed to each room having an individual system.

I apologize for the noise you experienced from the guest next door due to the adjoining door. I empathize with you and can understand how frustrating that can be. I would like to inquire with you if you informed anyone during your stay about your frustrations because I can guarantee every effort would have been made to relocate you to a room more to your liking because we want you to have an enjoyable experience.

Once again I offer my deepest apologies for all of the inconveniences you experienced. I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss this matter further because I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make it right. We treasure your feedback and truly appreciate your business as well. I hope to hear from you and welcome the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to providing the service the Grand Hotel and Spa is known for in Ocean City, MD.

Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2012

The room was uninhabitable, there was MOLD,mildew,warped and ripped wall paper and burn marks on the bathroom ceiling above the light fixture ( see photos)
I stayed at this hotel at a conference,my spose came along to relax.
On Thursday morning after I left the room to attend my conference my husband was surprised when a couple entered OUR room ( with a key) and announced it was"their room")...my husband spoke with the front desk who re-keyed his card and requested I come to get my card re keyed. On my break between sesions of my conference I stopped at front desk to
1. Report the diasterous rooom accomodations and request a room change to a room where I could BREATHE !! I have lung issues and was needing to use an inhaler in the room.
2.get my room key rekeyed.
I was told too bad about the room there were no others to switch to,I requested to speak with a manager and was told no one was there.I requested a corporate number to call with my compliant /concern,and again was told there was NONE.
I showed the front desk person some of the photos on my phone and said I would be posted them and my disastisfaction with Guest services and the accomodations.
She could care less!!
I also was stuck in an elevator leaving one of the conference sessions on 4th floor and when the door reopened so I could get off I saw a hotel worker in maroon uniform who had a walkie talkie I said " I was just stuck in the elevator it is not working,and he said "I don't know".I said well use your walkie talkie and report it not working!! He walked away saying I dont know, he might as well have said " I dont care!!"
I also reported the elevator NOT working to the front desk,again NO comment,no resolution and No RESPONSE!!
I am stil coughing and having breathing problems as a result to being exposed to the mold and mildew in room
I emailed the hotel in response to their "guest follow up ' email and again stated the issues.NO one has responded .
The health department should condemn this place!

Room Tip: Stay far away from this place
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Michelle T
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
I would like to begin by offering my sincere apologies that you did not receive a response from your direct email to our property concerning the issues your experienced. We are usually very efficient when it comes to responding to all guests' feedback, negative and positive. We understand how important the voice of our guests' is to our success and take all comments very seriously.

I am disappointed in myself and my team for the less than pleasurable experience that we provided to you during your stay. Our goal is to provided excellent service and create a memorable experience for our guests each and every stay. I am sorry that we did not prove that to you, for the inconveniences you endured and for the fashion in which your situation was handled.

The issues you experienced are not normally a reflection of the standards we hold ourselves to at the Grand Hotel and Spa. In fact, usually guests rave about how clean our rooms and the friendliness of our staff. Nevertheless your feedback will be reviewed with our entire management team to be addressed immediately and reviewed with our staff to be used as additional training tool. hope you will not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future. I am confident that your next stay with the Grand Hotel and Spa will be a more pleasant one. I encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further because I would like to make it right. Thank you for your time and valued feedback.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The Spa was great, Karen and Sharon gave the best messages. My Wife and I had the couples message. I would recommend the Acqua Spa at the Grand Hotel. The Acqua Spa is lucky to have Karen and Sharon as enployees, they are very awesome. The view of the beach from my room was beautiful. Great customer service.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank lfoye
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
I am overjoyed you and your wife had an "awesome experience"! I will be sure to share you kind words with the Karen, Sharon and all of our staff as well. Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know how great you stay was here at the Grand Hotel and Spa. We can't wait to have you back again and I hope you will make us your choice hotel for all of your future getaways to Ocean City, MD.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at the end of September and there were some areas that needed attention. But it was clean, spacious, wonderful view and within walking distance of almost everything that we were interested in seeing. I will definitely go back. It was right on the beach and I loved that.

1 Thank Betty D
Our passion is to provide excellent customer service and provide the cleanest accommodations you will find in Ocean City, MD. I am delighted that we were able to share that passion with you during your getaway.

I know that you stated you would definitely come back again and we can only hope you will make us your only choice when visiting the Ocean City, MD area. We would love to be part of such a special tradition and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Yours in Hospitality,
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel was a HUGE disappointment to us! We were expecting a luxurious, plush hotel for the price. The rates are very highly overpriced for the quality of the hotel. This hotel desperately needs to be renovated!!

Our room was damp and musty. The sliding glass door was almost impossible to open and close, the glass was so blurry you couldn't even see the beach. The balcony's are not private at all, someone could easily climb right into your room if you left your door open. The bathroom is a poor design, you have to step over the toilet to get in/out of the shower, the door swings right into the shower when you walk in. The shower curtain was ripped up and had black, moldy residue all over it. We requested another room because of the dampness, the girl at the front desk told us there were no other rooms available, but on our way back from dinner, we seen on their sign out front " Rooms Available".

We did not get an ounce of sleep during the 3 nights we were there. All we heard was loud banging and thrashing around all hours of the night. We will never stay at this hotel again!

2 Thank Shantelle E
Matthew B, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced, Your stay is not a normal reflection of the standards of quality and service the Grand Hotel and Spa holds itself too. I am very disappointed to hear about your dissatisfaction and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

When you requested to be moved and you were told by one of our guest service agents that we did not have another room available to move you too, than I'm assuming we were completely booked. The reason you saw "rooms available" on our sign is because the sign does not change frequently unless major edits need to be completed. I do not want you to feel as if your were lied to or mislead because that was not the case. However I do empathize with you concerning the issues you had with your room and they have already been brought to the attention of our entire management team.

Once again I truly apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced. I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss this matter further because I would like to make it right. I can only hope you will allow us another opportunity to win back your trust and prove to you why the Grand Hotel and Spa is Ocean City, MD's premier hotel on the boardwalk.