“Decent hotel, great location”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Decent hotel, great location”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel was nice, though not spectacular. We did not get to the Spa, so I can't comment on it. The room was average size but had a nice ocean view. There was construction going on, but the disturbance was kept to a minimum. One note: The restaurant was TERRIBLE: both food AND service. Avoid it and eat at one of the millions of OCMD restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kelly H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Benton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed for 4 nights, and were evacuated one of those nights....because someone broke in and pulled the alarm?? The next day, evacuated again.....management never told any of us the true reasons why....or compensated us with anything....which I think would have been appropriate.
All rooms are oceanfront, but not really. We complained, and were moved to a true ocean front room, for more cost. The room is a good size, pretty much the only good thing. It's right on the boardwalk, but the very far end of the boardwalk.
The hotel is OK, but not great. Breakfast hours are too limited for those vacationing, and really no amenities to speak of. Pool was cold, and kind of gross. Next time you need to evacuate people, multiple days, tell them why so they feel safe.....

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them you want a room in the middle of the hotel or you will be looking at another...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank amith1
Aston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I've had massages all over the world, but Karen is one of the best. You will be completely rejuvenated after she massages you, and she really listens and tailors the massage to your special requests. Treat yourself to some "me" time when you visit OC MD - you won't be sorry!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrendaV
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Employees were unhelpful Manager was less helpfull Room had mold on the walls and the room smelled terrible requested another room was refused. When we left early for a better hotel The Grand would not give our money back the the night we did not stay. They had 12 hour notice of our planned departure. Never never again will I stay at the grand.

Room Tip: insist on seeing the room before paying them
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Deborah T
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend in Ocean City. This was our first time staying at the Grand; we usually stay at a hotel a few blocks up, but since that one wasn't bookable through hotels.com, we chose the Grand.

First of all, the location is great! Not only is it nice being directly on the boardwalk, but there are shops and food right there, so it's very convenient. The parking garage is huge, and it's right next to the hotel. We got there early, so I wasn't expecting to get into our room before 4:00, but we went in and spoke with Christina at the front desk (she was so nice), and she offered to call us when the room was ready. We decided to walk the boardwalk, and within 45 minutes we had been called and checked in (early...by 3:30).

The room was large, although I was a bit disappointed by the two double beds (the booking on hotels.com said it was this, but the hotel website lists it as two queens). Still, that wasn't a big deal. The bathroom is very small, which I found surprising for a hotel that bills itself as the only spa in Ocean City. I expected a bit more of a "spa-like" bathroom, but again, not a huge deal. The room does need renovated, as stated by other reviewers, but that wasn't a surprise. The door to the balcony was extremely difficult to open, though, and we didn't use balcony at all. Our area was separated only by a thin see-through cloth; absolutely no privacy to have a conversation or anything. In addition, when our neighbors were on their balcony, we could hear their conversation through the closed door, even with the a/c on.

One of the things we really liked was the pool area. I was impressed that they had a boy working there who would find you seats, move seats, and generally help out however possible with towels and things like that. The pool area was clean and nice, and we spent time there every day.

The one area that needs work is housekeeping. The first day, our room wasn't cleaned until after 5:00 P.M. which was ridiculous. We were planning on going back to the room to shower and get ready, and housekeeping had just arrived. The second day, our room was cleaned sometime between 3:30 and 4:00, which was better. However, all that seemed to be done was the beds were made and new towels were dropped off. The used towels were left in a pile, and it was obvious the shower hadn't been touched. The biggest thing though, the one thing that will ensure we don't stay here again, happened the last day. We were sitting on our bed eating breakfast before packing up, and the door to our room opened. No knock, no nothing. When she saw me sitting on the bed, she left and closed the door with absolutely no apology. It was 9:45...checkout isn't until 11. Why housekeeping walked right into our room with no warning, then left, is beyond me, but it really made me uncomfortable. What if we'd been dressing, or showering, or anything other than eating breakfast???? Then, as we lifted our bags off the bed, the one blanket got pulled down, and we saw a huge brown stain at the foot of the bed on the sheet. Thank goodness we didn't sleep in that bed, but we were grossed out and didn't investigate the bed we did sleep in.

It's a shame that the housekeeping issues occurred, because overall, the hotel is okay. But we will definitely be going back to our usual hotel after this.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank koonsce
Scaggsville, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We enjoyed everything about the hotel. I'm really glad I did not base my decision on some of the negative comments that I read. The rooms was spacious, clean, the view and accessibility to everything was great. I did not experience any noise or young crowds. Plenty of parking. The staff was professional and even called just to see if everything was good,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sungal60
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Pros- This hotel is on the boardwalk and is close to food and shops. The interaction I had with the staff was good and they were helpful. The elevators operated well and there never seemed to be a big backup of people waiting for them. The microwave and fridge in the room worked great. I paid a little extra for the signature service 11th floor room and it was fairly roomy. The towel service at the second floor pool was great and the pool bar was a big plus. The decent sized balcony was also a favorite of mine.

Cons- Being a semi-circular hotel, the rooms are more pie-shaped. This leaves the room itself to be decent sized, but the bathroom was very small. So small, that the door smacked the toilet and wouldn't open all the way. The shower was also a bit small and cramped. Our balcony was more like semi-private with lattice providing the only privacy. The walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors at times. The bed pillows were too small so we had to ask for more. Maid service was not that great. We didn't have new cups and mugs provided, despite these used cups being put in the sink. Let's just say the attention to detail was not that good. There were dead bugs trapped between the top of the bathroom mirror and the light and the blow dryer in the room was dirty. The turn down service was not even a genuine "turn down". Our sheets weren't turned down...all they did was add a small row of five chocolate kisses to the bed. My standard of quality is a Holiday Inn Express Hotel and I think the Grand Hotel would have met that standard had they provided better maid service. I don't even think they changed the sheets everyday and that's something I enjoy and like in having hotel service.

Overall, a decent experience but I expected more with the money I spent there.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family