“HORRIBLE SERVICE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Virginia
“HORRIBLE SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

DO NOT stay at this hotel. The word Grand needs to be removed! The rooms are dirty and stuck in the 1980s. The manager Brian Romain needs to learn how to treat clients and handle unsatisfactory customers. We expressed our concerns to the very helpful desk manager. The poor excuse for a general manager just stood there and let her handle the situation. After I asked to speak to him did he walk over and attempt to resolve NOTHING! All he did was dictate policy and then walk away all after I expressed my concerns. He needs to take lessons from his staff on how to treat customers. DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Jea F
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for sharing the few challenges that you unfortunately had to experience during your stay, and for which I would like to apologize. We are extremely disappointed to read this review and are dismayed to hear of this guests’ experience. Again I would like to send my apologies and hope that you guys give us another chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Wantagh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Upon arrival at the grand I was greeted by an average front desk staff. When they gave me my room, I went up and found a fairly decent size room with a partial ocean front view. The doors to the balcony did not open easy and were dirty. I went back down to the front desk and asked what restaurants were open(considering it was off season and traveling solo) they were nice and gave me a list of all the restaurants that we're open and good to eat at. Later that night I went down to epic bar & grill and the bartender(Sasha) was very friendly and gave me some suggestions of Local craft beers and some suggestions of what to do while staying at the hotel. I was very pleased with the bar service. The overall experience at the hotel was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
I wanted to write to you to say thank-you for taking the time to post your TripAdvisor review following your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests that have great experiences with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed the helpful and attentive services rendered by our staff at the restaurant. Again I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the service and facilities to be of an excellent standard, hope to see you again soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Upon arrival and check in a very rude and unfriendly staff person didn't have the courtesy to even greet us, we had to stand there and wait for her to speak to us and she was not busy, on the computer or phone, nor any other customers in the lobby and she couldn’t even offer a friendly “ Hello “. I had questions to discuss while checking in regarding the internet travel site we used to reserve the room that we found via trip advisor and she stated that she hasn't heard of any of them and could not help. There were also problems with the rooms. The sliding balcony door would not open or shut properly and the glass was so filthy you could not see out of it to the ocean view, sink kept clogging, blown light bulb and a bug in the bathroom, our food /drinks were frozen in the fridge and no way to turn down. When I called down to the front desk to ask if the Hotel Pizza restaurant was open the same staff person I encountered at check- in had no idea if the restaurant was open and actually asked if I tried to call the number in the room hotel guide to the restaurant. I said yes , but had gotten no answer that was the reason I was calling her and she said “ I guess it isn't open then” ( really, you can’t tell me if your own hotel restaurant down the hall from the front desk is open at 4:00 in the afternoon ???) Then I asked her if the bar/café in the hotel permitted children under 21 and she said “ I don’t know “ . This is information I believe an employee might need to know for all guests.
The final straw was when were awoken very early in the morning by very loud banging noises and power tools being used in the room above us. I called the front desk and asked if there was construction or something going on in the room above us ?? Once again the staff person had no idea and said she would check with maintenance and call us back. Guess what... no call back. Therefore, I walked up to the room above us and sure enough the door was open and materials and tools outside on a cart w power tools blaring away. So I called the front desk AGAIN and told the staff person that I checked for myself and yes there was construction going on. I then asked why would they put us in a room when they knew there was construction going on above directly us ?? I mentioned to her that there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot so this could have been avoided ( April 2014, not peak season ). She apologized but offered no solutions. After not being able to sleep with the construction work going on, I went down to the front desk and asked to see a manager. The staff person tried to dissuade me from speaking to management and offered us a change in rooms, to which I agreed. We had to pack all of our belonging’s and relocate to one of the highest floors as that was the only room they said they had available. Not pleased …. As I was fiercely scared of heights and didn't want my daughter out on the balcony that high up. Ocean Front view spoiled for us and there were hardly any guests in the hotel, so I know there were other rooms available.
We travel frequently and don't expect to be treated like royalty or ask for special attention, just some of the basics of what you pay for. A little courtesy and knowledge from staff isn’t too much to ask for and cleanliness and comfort was POOR at best !! . In my opinion this Hotel has declined drastically as I have stayed here before in years past.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to ground floor
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MD-for-GOOD
Thank you so much for your review of The Grand Hotel & Spa and for giving us the opportunity to respond. The feedback this reviewer has provided gives us an opportunity to improve our services for all our guests. We appreciate your candid feedback from your recent stay and are sorry that this stay did not meet your expectation. A warm welcome at all times by the Front Office team and courteous, helpful service is indeed the basis of guests feeling valued and I am concerned that you felt otherwise. I have discussed this with my team as a matter of urgency. As always, if there is any way I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Manchester, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have been to Ocean city for 50 yrs but never stayed on the boardwalk area. We took a 4 days trip and stayed at the Grand Hotel and it was grand. We had an direct oceanfront room and the view was spectacular. The balcony was very large and had chairs.Nothing blocking the fantastic surf and sand view and the boardwalk too. The room was huge with a small kitchenette with big fridge, microwave, sink and cabinets. There was a nice desk , small table and 2 chairs and 2 dressers. The tv was small and there weren't any comfy chairs to sit in and there was plenty of room for them. It would have been nicer to have a love seat or 2 chairs to watch tv or read. The bathroom was very very small but big fluffy towels and supplies for your shower. There is a fabulous lobby with sofa's, chairs and computer desk. Oh yes, its also a SPA for those who need to be rejuvenated, an indoor and outdoor pool too. Restaurant, café and more , yes all there and they provide room service from the café and pizza shop too. Go and take a break and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: They have several selections. If you want a great view choose oceanfront direct as we did. You will...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank newfymomma
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
First I would like to thank you for using TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and were satisfied with all aspects of your stay. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests that have great experiences with us and we hope you will return again soon. Again, our sincere thanks for your generous response to your stay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Average at best.. Oceanview was great.. Seems to be overpriced considering it's the offseason. Room size decent, beds were fairly comfortable, microwave and fridge. Indoor pool was cold and noise level was ridiculous considering there were only 8 people in the pool room. Seems like a decent location, but noticed many more shops/restaurants were open closer to the beginning of the boardwalk. Had a couples massage at the spa at the hotel. It was also average and overpriced.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kacrow
We appreciate the time and effort you took in sharing your experiences because our focus is on the guest and providing the best experience possible. The Grand Hotel has a company value where we succeed only when we meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. Feedback such as this is very helpful when we are considering what improvements can be made to enhance the experience of our guests. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Your comfort and safety is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and your review will assist in correcting issues in the future.
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights during spring break. Upon our arrival we were checked in by Josh! He was amazing and continued to be so the entire trip! Just a warm and welcoming front desk personnel who clearly enjoys his job! The hotel is situated in an amazing location, it has very decent amenities like an indoor pool, mini arcade area for the kids and a large chess area. The hotel has tremendous potential but needs to be renovated ASAP. Our only complain would be the rooms. It was dusty and old looking. I has allergy attacks the entire time. The balcony was amazing, we fortunately were able to stay on the 11th floor, which offered breathtaking views, the room also had a microwave and refrigerator. Very convenient! We would stay here again, we really didn't like the rooms it's not at all what we are use to but everything else made up for that, Josh is a rock star! And such an asset to the hospitality industry!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Hotelpeeps
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
I wanted to write to you to say thank-you for taking the time to post your TripAdvisor review following your stay with us. Thank you for sharing the few challenges that you unfortunately had to experience during your stay, and for which I would like to apologize, your feedback has been shared with the relevant department heads in order to address these issues and avoid any re occurrence. I am disappointed that you were provided with a room that was clearly not maintained to our standards. Exceptional service is what we strive for here and it is always my priority to ensure guests’ needs are met and satisfied, and we were so pleased to here we not only meet your needs but exceed your expectations. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention, and hope, despite this incident your faith in our property will be restored on future visits.
Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the Easter weekend. We were ocean front and it was beautiful - right on the boardwalk. A quick 2 mile walk (45 minutes) from the inlet. Convenient to alot of local eateries and beer/wine suppliers. Bathroom could have been cleaner, but the room was a good size for a family of 4. All staff was very accomodating. The Easter brunch was just OK, service was a little slow, buffet kept running out and it really wasn't that busy. Overall, a nice weekend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelfun070
On behalf of the entire team, our sincere thanks for choosing The Grand Hotel and for your very thorough review on tripadvisor. It is always our pleasure to receive guest feedback and we have certainly taken this feedback seriously to aid in our continuous improvement. From your comments, the level of cleaning was clearly not acceptable and we are embarrassed by our performance. As always, if there is any way I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distance future.