“A Nice Week in OC, MD”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Never having been to OC before, we did not know what to expect. We were pleased with the front desk personnel (Ty and Robert) who let us change to a room with better view. When hotel work on a lower floor woke us up, were upgraded without hesitation by April, who was a blast. You just can't beat the location and the view, and our room was a long walk over pleasant carpeting from balcony to bathroom. Groupon brought their deal to our online attention right when we were struggling with where to spend a week. The beachwork being done was a noisy business in the early AM, but we survived, and would do it again.

Room Tip: Look for rooms ending in 09, 10, 11 for bestview
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cleooneill
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of The Grand on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests that have great experiences with us here. We would like to personally thank you for being so understanding of the work is done in the hotel, and we were so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in amazing ocean front rooms, the views from those rooms are some of the best in the city. For all the comments regarding the staff there nothing better than praise for your customer service skills and I will be sure to pass on the kind words. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time you visit the beach.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,782)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel with a very large golf group from 4/27/2014 til 5/1/2014. The Hotel was clean, cozy and worth the rate plus the Ocean view was great. My only problem was the first two nights we where in the bar the night Manager was a little rude with us and closed up around 11 both nights. When I ask him why are you closing up early because there where about 16 or more of us his reply was we had to get ready for the weekend. Meanwhile this was Sunday and Monday. Guess he didnt like making the bar money... Tuesday night and Wednesday night was alot better with the bartender Sara or Sasha I believe. Not only did she stay open til 2am and make good money for the bar but was super friendly..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brian S

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and we thank you for raising both the positive and constructive comments, we will ensure we use your comments to improve areas which may be letting us or our guests down. I am disheartened to learn that we did not attain our usual high level of service that is embedded in our standards and culture. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing on your next golf outing to Ocean City.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 days at the hotel. We were on the 11 th floor and had gorgeous ocean views. We brought our daughter and the room was spacious which was nice with having her with us. I have read some reviews about peeling wallpaper, etc. and there is some of that but I cant stand a dirty hotel room and felt that ours was very clean. It is a nice location. Staff was friendly for the most part. We would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kimberly L
Michelle G, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Congratulations on the recent marriage! Amazing review, thank you so much for such lovely feedback! We always look to celebrate our guests’ special occasions and we are delighted that everything worked out so well on your visit. We are always striving to improve our hospitality and service and we appreciate your kind words about the hotel. I will be sharing your comments about your room cleanliness with our Executive Housekeeper – our entire housekeeping team works very hard to ensure high standards of cleanliness and feedback from guests recognizing this is always appreciated. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again on your next stay in Ocean City.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

They take care of all your needs under one roof. Great location .. Ocean View from any room on Ocean side because of the unique Curve to that side of the Hotel. This is our Favorite place to stay. We have been going to Ocean City, Maryland on vacations & for our Anniversary Weekends for 30 years, & we always go back to The Grand Hotel. We even stayed at the Stowaway before it was "The Stowaway Grand Hotel" now they just call it "Grand Hotel & Spa" We watched as they knocked down the "Stowaway" & built a New hotel, complete with a parking garage. We love it & will return every year for our anniversary.

Room Tip: ask for Ocean View .. Each room on ocean side has a balcony that you can see the beach from
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your anniversary! We are flattered that you chose the Grand Hotel as the home base for your celebration and that you enjoyed your room. What a wonderful review! It truly was a pleasure for us to read your review and we feel as if you summed up our property perfectly. We can’t thank you enough for your loyal patronage and kind recommendation of The Grand Hotel. Congratulation again and we look forward to see you guys again next year for your anniversary.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

DO NOT stay at this hotel. The word Grand needs to be removed! The rooms are dirty and stuck in the 1980s. The manager Brian Romain needs to learn how to treat clients and handle unsatisfactory customers. We expressed our concerns to the very helpful desk manager. The poor excuse for a general manager just stood there and let her handle the situation. After I asked to speak to him did he walk over and attempt to resolve NOTHING! All he did was dictate policy and then walk away all after I expressed my concerns. He needs to take lessons from his staff on how to treat customers. DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Jea F

Thank you for sharing the few challenges that you unfortunately had to experience during your stay, and for which I would like to apologize. We are extremely disappointed to read this review and are dismayed to hear of this guests’ experience. Again I would like to send my apologies and hope that you guys give us another chance.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Upon arrival at the grand I was greeted by an average front desk staff. When they gave me my room, I went up and found a fairly decent size room with a partial ocean front view. The doors to the balcony did not open easy and were dirty. I went back down to the front desk and asked what restaurants were open(considering it was off season and traveling solo) they were nice and gave me a list of all the restaurants that we're open and good to eat at. Later that night I went down to epic bar & grill and the bartender(Sasha) was very friendly and gave me some suggestions of Local craft beers and some suggestions of what to do while staying at the hotel. I was very pleased with the bar service. The overall experience at the hotel was good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

I wanted to write to you to say thank-you for taking the time to post your TripAdvisor review following your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests that have great experiences with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed the helpful and attentive services rendered by our staff at the restaurant. Again I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the service and facilities to be of an excellent standard, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Upon arrival and check in a very rude and unfriendly staff person didn't have the courtesy to even greet us, we had to stand there and wait for her to speak to us and she was not busy, on the computer or phone, nor any other customers in the lobby and she couldn’t even offer a friendly “ Hello “. I had questions to discuss while checking in regarding the internet travel site we used to reserve the room that we found via trip advisor and she stated that she hasn't heard of any of them and could not help. There were also problems with the rooms. The sliding balcony door would not open or shut properly and the glass was so filthy you could not see out of it to the ocean view, sink kept clogging, blown light bulb and a bug in the bathroom, our food /drinks were frozen in the fridge and no way to turn down. When I called down to the front desk to ask if the Hotel Pizza restaurant was open the same staff person I encountered at check- in had no idea if the restaurant was open and actually asked if I tried to call the number in the room hotel guide to the restaurant. I said yes , but had gotten no answer that was the reason I was calling her and she said “ I guess it isn't open then” ( really, you can’t tell me if your own hotel restaurant down the hall from the front desk is open at 4:00 in the afternoon ???) Then I asked her if the bar/café in the hotel permitted children under 21 and she said “ I don’t know “ . This is information I believe an employee might need to know for all guests.
The final straw was when were awoken very early in the morning by very loud banging noises and power tools being used in the room above us. I called the front desk and asked if there was construction or something going on in the room above us ?? Once again the staff person had no idea and said she would check with maintenance and call us back. Guess what... no call back. Therefore, I walked up to the room above us and sure enough the door was open and materials and tools outside on a cart w power tools blaring away. So I called the front desk AGAIN and told the staff person that I checked for myself and yes there was construction going on. I then asked why would they put us in a room when they knew there was construction going on above directly us ?? I mentioned to her that there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot so this could have been avoided ( April 2014, not peak season ). She apologized but offered no solutions. After not being able to sleep with the construction work going on, I went down to the front desk and asked to see a manager. The staff person tried to dissuade me from speaking to management and offered us a change in rooms, to which I agreed. We had to pack all of our belonging’s and relocate to one of the highest floors as that was the only room they said they had available. Not pleased …. As I was fiercely scared of heights and didn't want my daughter out on the balcony that high up. Ocean Front view spoiled for us and there were hardly any guests in the hotel, so I know there were other rooms available.
We travel frequently and don't expect to be treated like royalty or ask for special attention, just some of the basics of what you pay for. A little courtesy and knowledge from staff isn’t too much to ask for and cleanliness and comfort was POOR at best !! . In my opinion this Hotel has declined drastically as I have stayed here before in years past.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to ground floor
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank MD-for-GOOD

Thank you so much for your review of The Grand Hotel & Spa and for giving us the opportunity to respond. The feedback this reviewer has provided gives us an opportunity to improve our services for all our guests. We appreciate your candid feedback from your recent stay and are sorry that this stay did not meet your expectation. A warm welcome at all times by the Front Office team and courteous, helpful service is indeed the basis of guests feeling valued and I am concerned that you felt otherwise. I have discussed this with my team as a matter of urgency. As always, if there is any way I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.