“Way Outdated”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 2 October 2008

This hotel may have once been "grand" but the time has passed. The rooms are large but lacking in amenities. The mattress feels old and the pillows flat. Instead of sitting at the desk to work, I had to hover by the door to my room to connect to the Internet. The balconies do not have solid dividers so you are looking into your neighbor's space and the "furniture" on the balconies consists of cheap plastic chairs. The view of the ocean is beautiful but, unfortunately, I couldn't see it because there was condesation trapped inside the sliding door and blocking any view out. There was even an envelope requesting a tip for the maids! I'm not sure about the value for the money issue as I was not paying for the room but the hotel left much to be desired. I have to believe there are better places to stay in OC.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TaxChick
Write a ReviewReviews (3,755)

Reviewed 12 September 2008

Actually, my husband and I have stayed at the Grand for the last six years-due to the location. As the years have gone by, the Grand has started to go downhill. WAY DOWNHILL!! This year we made our reservations SIX MONTHS in advance. We requested a certain room. After being a hotel guest for five years I didn't think that was unreasonable. We also sent a letter a month prior to vacation-again requesting the room. We also called a week prior-again making sure our request was noted and also to find out what our FINAL balance was.So to make a very long story short-we did not get the requested room, we had to stay in one room one night and then move. We paid our balance(which was the SAME AMOUNT we were told it would be when we spoke to them a week earlier). But the next day were told they "didn't think they charged us enough". Yet after the girl at the desk had three tries with a calculator and still couldn't come up with the same amount twice, she said "we'll get back to you". So we went on to enjoy our vacation, and at no time did anyone from the hotel ATTEMPT to contact us regarding any rate dispute. But when we got our credit card bill the next month-they had placed an additional $178 on our card. Management at the Grand had more than suffecient time to let us know of any "undercharge" Like the six months from the time we booked our vacation up to our arrival. Or the WEEK we were there. Yet they chose not to say a word-just put the charge on our card. I feel this is inexcusable and unprofessional! Perhaps they need to get new management, or desk clerks that actually speak and understand english! Also the day we were checking in there were two women there who could not get into their rooms. Turns out THEY WERE BOTH BOOKED INTO THE SAME ROOM!! To top it off THERE WAS SOMEONE ALREADY IN THE ROOM!! I hope the Grand enjoyed that extra $178 cause it's the last money they'll ever get from us! Next year you'll find us at the Princess Royale:)

2  Thank ThePrincessPa
Reviewed 1 September 2008

This hotel is located on 21st St, and is right on the Boardwalk. Its positives are: location, pool indoor & outdoor, snack bar, parking and size of the rooms. It is also nice to walk right out to the beach. Our room was "non-smoking" but it smelled of something unpleasant. At 7:30 am the property had to be evacuated due to fire alarm. For $298.00 a night, I expect help with luggage, a bathroom with an exhaust fan that works and vents that are clean. Ours were covered with dust. The beds although are Sealy, were not comfortable. We tossed and turned all night. Yes this is a vacation spot but, so is Las Vegas and our rooms at the Wynn were only $189.00 a night and there is no comparison. I would check out the Quality Inn and the Holiday Inn on the boardwalk before coming back here. The staff was polite and responsive but the price was not worth it for us.

2  Thank herd4sheep
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel on 2 prior occasions, due to the convenient location. I am sorry to say that, on this trip, I have explored alternative accommodations, as the service on this particular vacation were at an all-time low. First, we arrived at OC,MD around 2:00pm and was told that our room was not ready. So, I suited up my young kids and we all trekked to the beach while my Mother stayed back waiting the official word that our room was ready. She asked the reception desk for status updates on our room and was repeatedly told, "Maam, It's not ready yet." Suddenly, a gentleman from NY walked in asking if the hotel had any vacancy. The receptionist confirmed that there was vacancy and the gentleman was told that the room was ready for immediate check-in. Unbelievable!!! So, does the Grand Hotel inconvenience their reservation guests, knowing that we are a "sure-thing." I think it should be the other way around! Immediate check-in granted for those with reservations---for those without reservations, if you get lucky enough to find a hotel with vacancy then you should expect to wait. Good grief!! This was enough to deter me from ever returning here in the future. My second disappointment was the housekeeping service. No housekeeper touched our room until after 4:00pm, so we simply helped ourselves to clean towels from the housekeeping cart on a daily basis. We never had our carpets vaccumed or our beds changed the whole time, yet we saw 3-4 non-English speaking housekeepers conversing in the hallways routinely. Lastly, while trying to get ready for dinner and sweating profusely in our room, we discovered that the A/C was not working. We called the front desk and was told that the entire building's A/C system was not working. We were so uncomfortable since we were unable to come back to our room to cool off after a day in the sun, that we left 2 days earlier than anticipated. The girl at check-out was wonderful and granted us full refund on the 2 days that we intended to stay & even gave us a full refund on the previous day for having to sleep in an sweaty room. This was much appreciated, but I am sad to report that this whole experience resulted in the Grand losing me as a loyal patron. I know good help is hard to find, but something must be done to turn things around.

4  Thank iam4pennst8
Reviewed 12 August 2008

This was our second trip to OC. It is a very expensive destination in comparison to Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach, but we wanted to give it a second try. We travel extensively and I always research hotels prior to making my decision. Because I felt that I had "did my homework" before choosing our hotel, I really want to share our experience. Upon check-in, the level of customer service was poor. Only 1 of 3 agents understood English and their computer system. This made for an extremely long line at 3:00. Our room was very average. It was a decent size, however the bathroom was extremely small. The door had no hooks on the back so there was no place to put your clothes. The mini-kitchen in the room was very handy; although this is standard in most beach hotel rooms. The balcony came with two chairs BUT no table. Very inconvenient. Our room was cleaned very late in the day every day but once, I had to call for housecleaning because at 5:30 they still have not come.
Pros of the facility:
Common areas very clean
Location on boardwalk; ample parking
Cons of the facility:
Poor customer service
No tables in pool area or on balconies
Disgusting indoor pool
On our third night there, the fire alarm went off at 2am and again at 7am. Is this the fault of their system, or of a stupid individual. Who knows? BUT it sure was annoying.
Would we return again to OC? Definately not. The boardwalk games and rides were extremely expensive. You definately get "more for your buck" at VA Beach or Myrtle. If we were to return, my #1 choice for accommodations would be The Breaker's Hotel. We went and looked at that hotel and the staff was most pleasant and the rooms were really nice. Good luck in your vacation planning!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank loveisbliss
Reviewed 10 August 2008

we booked at last minute and paid a large amount of money for a room with just two queen beds.

Pros -- location - right on boardwalk and ocean -- shops right there and good pizza place

Cons- many -- first and foremost I paid extra for an oceanfront room with large balcony -- ONLY to find that the balconies were all adjoining and you can see your neighbors on either side. I like my privacy! that is why I paid more money to have oceanfront -- the view was beautiful, but totally ruined by the fact that EVERY time we went out on to the balcony there were people to our right and left - would not stay there again - I had wanted to stay at the Commander on 14th, but it was booked, that I would recommend having stayed there two years ago
NEXT - I agree about the internet service - we had to sit in the lobby with the computer to be able to get service!!! BIg negative - maid totally forgot a couple days to clean our room! The front desk is an absolutely mess - there are not enough people there at all times to wait on guests and DON'T check in around 4PM it will take you probably 45 mintues to get upstairs with your luggage due to the back up at the elevators

My suggestion is to go elsewhere

5  Thank kaaala
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Recently returned from several days & nights at the Grand. We got a great rate from discounted website.

Initially were disappointed that we were unable to get an non-smoking room but we understood that upon booking thru the discounted service that room type was not guaranteed. (NOTE to Management : Please consider converting additional rooms to non-smoking. While we were checking in, we saw & heard 3 other parties also request non-smoking but were total the Grand had "run out.") Despite having a smoking room, there was only a trace of lingering smoke smell. Plus the manager quickly sent up 8 new pillows to replace the bed pillows which also freshened up the room. Didn't even notice the hallway being smokey -- maybe the floor was full of other non-smokers like us who were also stuck in smoking rooms.

The room was generous in size, with 2 queen beds. The beds were very comfortable, complete with double sheeting. I think I read that the mattresses were replaced this summer, it seemed so to me. Minor flaw was no fan in bathroom, it got rather hot/stuffy in there after 4 showers. There were plentiful thick cotton towels which also seemed new. The room and common areas were very clean, I'm always impressed when a beach hotel does this good of job keeping the sand out. The mini-kitchen area was handy, plenty of counter space and separate sink area.

While we were mostly on the beach, we went to the outdoor pool a couple of times. The pool was very clean, with lots of available seating and pool towels. It was not very crowded while we were there. The kids enjoyed game room but said that 2 or 3 games were not working.

We only ate at the coffee shop and pizza shop on the 1st floor. Both are very convenient. I thought the coffee shop was reasonably priced and the coffee/pastries were fresh and tasty. The pizza place was a bit overpriced and the food typical -- I guess you are paying for the boardwalk location.

Staff were pleasant and helpful when asked any questions. When we needed extra shampoo and coffee, it was quickly brought up to our room and we were given extra. Minor complaint about non-working room key cards, we had to have them replaced at least 4 times in 4 days. Again, the staff was helpful and very quick to replace the keys but maybe they should change or upgrade their system?

Overall, our stay was excellent. We had stayed here about 4 or 5 years ago and I was a little concerned beforehand based on some of the more recent reviews on this site. But overall we were very pleased -- I would still put the Grand in the top 10 of Ocean City hotels based on location, cleanliness & comfort, service and amenities. We have stayed practically everywhere nice in OC (except at the Hilton) and would gladly return to the Grand especially with the competitive pricing they offered. For comparison, the Days Inn next door quoted rates that were over $100 greater than what we paid at the Grand.

2  Thank scooper0221