“Great place to stay in Ocean City!”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Staten Island, New York
“Great place to stay in Ocean City!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was my second stay in the Grand...and it was grand!! I booked the hospitality suite and it was worth every penny; large, roomy, beautiful sunset views of the bay. We had a delicious breakfast at the hotel restaurant and enjoyed after-dinner drinks at the hotel bar. We also enjoyed an afternoon at the lovely outdoor pool.My family loved every aspect of our stay!!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff there is very friendly and helpful. By far, they are the best part of the hotel. The location isn't bad, but it's a good ways up the boardwalk from most of the stores and restaraunts.

I stayed in a jacuzzi room. Overall, it's average. The view is nice, but being in the 12th floor, there's no coverig on the balcony. So you can't sit outside when it's raining like you can on the lower floors. You are also not allowed to smoke on the balconies which I did not like. You have to go all the way downstairs and outside to smoke. This may not be a big deal for a cigarette smoker, but for a cigar smoker like myself, it's not convenient. I am there on vacation to relax and have a good time, sitting outside in the parking lot for 4 hours to enjoy a cigar is not near as relaxing as sitting out on the balcony.

The inside of the room had wall paper coming off the walls, which for the price you pay for the room, you'd expect a little nicer appearance. The room itself is spacious, everything seemed to be well cleaned. The bathroom is microscopic. It was hard to step out of the shower without stepping in the toilet. The jacuzzi works well, but is very loud.

There are a few shops and a pizza place on the bottom floor on the boardwalk side which is convienient, though they are a bit pricy.

They have two pools, an outside and inside. The inside pool was ok. It's a very generic, smaller pool, but it fit the purpose for my young son. The outside pool was disgusting. The one time we went out to it, there were dead bugs and a large clump of hair floating around.

Parking is free, though it is in a parking garage across the street.

Overall, I would call the hotel average. I would consider it over priced for what they offer. At close to $400 a night, I expected much more. I would probably stay there again purely out of mere convienece of their location, but I would check out some other hotels first. They're not terrible, so I would recommend it to non smokers. It's a huge in convienece to smokers, so you may want to check out another hotel that allows balcony smoking.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Hollrusl
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

If you're traveling with the family and plan on being in the room at all I recommend elsewhere. The room we were in was old, outdated and dirty. Giant brown stain on the mattress, mold on the tile in the bathroom, tub didn't drain. And we didn't even want to walk barefoot on the carpet that's gotta be at least ten years old. This hotel has great potential. The room was very spacious with a beautiful view and grand lobby but I personally cannot get past the nasty bathroom, carpet and bed. Needs a major room overhaul/sanitizing etc. Staff was pleasant.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Leah H

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Mechanicsburg, Pa
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been going to the Grand every year for father/daughter vacation for 10+ years. We always have a nice stay. We pay a little more for the upper floors and direct ocean front ( although most of the rooms are ocean view ) . Location on boardwalk is perfect - away from the stores and arcades but a quick walk to that 'action'. Nice little 24 hr coffee shop on site and surprisingly comfortable beds. Unless you want to pay $500+ a night for the Hilton with a worse location or the Marriott with no parking ( Grand has a great multi level garage so never parking issues ) the Grand simply can't be beat. I got a better price at the Princess this year which is nice too - but daughter insisted on the Grand.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel is wonderful. The rooms are spotless and they are quite a bit larger than most hotel rooms in this area. The views of the ocean from your room is incredible. You can hear the ocean from your room if you keep the sliding glass door open a little bit.
The Spa is great if you are looking for a massage. The pool is very nice and the staff is great.
We will be staying here in our future visits to Ocean City.

Room Tip: A direct ocean front room is the best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy S
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I came to the grand hotel and I have a great view on top of the beach. The cafe is real fancy, I get muffins and smoothies and they taste great. The pool boy is very polite and puts down my chair cover. The room service came to my room and I told them to wait for a little bit and they didn't mind. And my room looks so nice after they did my room. This is the best hotel I've been in and I will be back soon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Pros:
- Location
- Clean
- Parking convenience
- 24/7 coffee shop

Cons:
- Small bathroom
- Spacious bedroom but has wasted space
- Old rooms, old fashion-aging furniture, wall paper peeling off
- Squeaky beds
- Nothing special with the balcony, it only has plastic patio furnitures
- No complimentary breakfast

Room Tip: Don't expect too much
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family