“Building & air conditioner show age”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Building & air conditioner show age”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

5th visit. Arrived too early (1pm instead of 4pm). Had a choice of 4th or 6th floor room (took 6th). I expected a lower floor since this was a special. Didn't like the fact that guests who came after me had their rooms ready immediately while mine wasn't. I threatened not to tip the housekeeper. (I DID tip for the good service received the other days). The staff gave me an acceptable explanation when we checked out. The safe wasn't working but the staff fixed it quickly. Didn't enjoy the inconsistent air conditioning noise (needs work). Did enjoy the swimming pool area & bar while my husband was in the gym. I also found great t-shirts in my XXL size in 1 of the hotel stores. Went to the couples massage at the spa for our 1st time--Excellent++.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Hallstead, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Had never been to O,C. and my husband decided we would go there for our honeymoon. I got to pick the hotel and we were highly impressed by the rooms, the employees, the breakfasts. Even though the hotel is on the boardwalk there is no boardwalk chaos and it was nice and quiet. The only thing we wish they had was an onsite restaurant other than the bar for a nice dinner. We will be back year after year to celebrate. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Frink

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
West Babylon, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

To start off the hotel rooms are large as well as having a very large balcony. Definitely a plus. The bathrooms I noticed were kind of dirty. I noticed hair along the edges of floor. The furniture looked like it hadn't been dusted and the mirrors had smudges on them. But don't let that deter you from staying at the hotel. I would also like to note that the some of the staff walked up to me while I was smoking and asked for a cigarette, and sat up there in the front smoking with the guests, which is kind of unusual considering I have a lot of building maintenance experience in New York City and that is kind of not allowed. Also I noticed that a lot of the staff like to use the guest computer in the front lobby. Didn't seem to answer anybody's questions until they were through. But like I said earlier don't let this deter you from staying there is a very nice hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
mt top
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We always stay at the Grand Hotel while in Ocean City. It is a very nice beach hotel although this year I discovered that she is starting to show her age:( I also was a bit surprised to see the amount of dust in and around the room. Our cleaning "lady" was a young girl. I was wishing I had Clorox wipes.

The hotel is located at a nice location on the board walk and the rooms are huge. We were able to fit a queen size air bed for my son. They do rent rollaway beds for $10 a night. The beach at the hotel is very nice and the hotel is directly across from Phillips buffet! The outdoor pool is beautiful and there is a bar and towel boy. There is also shaded spots at the pool. All of the rooms are ocean front or ocean view and the balcony are a nice size. The rooms are huge. We were able to fit a queen size air bed for my son. They do rent rollaway beds for $10 a night.The rooms have a nice kitchen area (sink compact fridge and lots of cabinet space). There is also a coffee pot and they provide coffee packets. Ice machines are available on certain floors. There are many amenities in the hotel. A pizza shop coffee shop and a few stores on the board walk level. Sign up for email and they will send you specials and deals periodically.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our stay at the Grand in July was Awesome! The rooms were large, the beds comfortable and the view was incredible. The balcony's had safe railings and could seat several persons. This will be where we stay from now on when we come to OC MD.

Room Tip: Choose a room from the 5th floor or up for a great view.
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed with some friends this weekend and unfortunately wasn't the one who picked the hotel we were staying at. This hotel has the nerve to charge $400 a night with absolutely nothing to back that price up. No valet, no doorman, terrible service, outdated lobby and rooms that haven't been updated since 1985. I myself work for a corporate owned hotel company and was applaud at all that I endured.

Our water in the room was lukewarm through out our entire stay and our AC was not working properly (was blowing freezing cold air on the off position)- after notifying the front desk, an engineer was dispatched to our room and confirmed our complaints. Unfortunately that's the last we've heard from them. No one ever followed up or even offered to change our room. I had to personally follow up on a number of occasions and surprise surprise, no one was aware of my situation nor did they care. The manager on duty even had the audacity to tell me that no one was ever dispatched to my room and that our water was just fine! (basically calling me delusional)

When all is said and done, limited compensation was offered and when I requested to speak to the general manager, Brian, everything made perfect sense. Brian, like the rest of the staff is unprofessional and dismissive. It's no wonder the hotel is ran the way it is when he is considered their "leader". He too spoke to me as if i was delusional and HUNG UP THE PHONE ON ME when I requested the contact information of the owner of the property. SHAME ON YOU BRIAN! That is no way to run a business.

This hotel staff needs to learn that paying customers are GUESTS and not ENEMIES. Understanding this concept could improve your business as a whole because as you can read for yourselves, their currant tactics do not seem to be working. The reviews don't lie and unfortunately for them, this is yet another bad review from a dissatisfied customer.

Put your money to good use and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Gina B
Reviewed 15 July 2014

me and my daughter have been to Maryland twice, since they started giving me days off from work, but it was my first time at the grand hotel. the halls and the rooms are clean, and the staff is very helpful and informed about whats happening in and outside of the hotel, having a staff like that and you know the hotel is great, much respect for the front desk guys anton and vlad are great. I also loved the coffee shop and the garage so i didn't have to worry about my lexus :)) Worth the price, do not hesitate to go

Room Tip: Higher floors have larger bedrooms, but small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family