“Think this is our last stay.....”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Southwestern, PA
“Think this is our last stay.....”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have been staying at the Grand Hotel for years. We stayed there again this past week. There are still some good things about it, but the negatives really outweigh anything positive.
The location is great and the pools are clean. We encountered a major problem our first night (will get to that in a minute), and the two ladies working the front desk on Sunday night were very helpful and genuinely seemed to care.

Now the bad.... The hotel is old and dirty. Our room was okay, but still had issues with window ledge not being cleaned, i.e. dead flies, dust, etc. (we were in a corner room). There was garbage in the hallway of the 4th floor for 2 days, like pretzel crumbs, twizzlers, etc. It just looked like they hadn't swept it.
They also need to really enforce the "no kids under 15 in the pool without an adult." My daughter was jumped on twice by unsupervised kids jumping in the pool.

And onto the ugly.... We were first given room 601, which is a corner room next to the service elevator. There was a horrible stench in the hallway, like dirty gym socks. It was actually very overpowering. The people in the room next door called the front desk. Housekeeping actually knocked on our door and asked if we knew what the smell was. Seriously??? So, at 10:00pm that night, they tried to move us to room 801, again right by the service elevator. We wouldn't accept it because the smell was just as bad. Housekeeping tried to fix this by spraying Febreeze and mopping the floor. Needless to say that didn't help at all. We think the smell was coming from the dumpster which is kept inside and the smell came up thru the elevator shaft. Finally we were moved to room 426, and we accepted it because it was after 10 at night, and I didn't feel like moving again. The room was clean, however, it looks like dried plaster was on the floor by the side window.
I booked early to get a good rate. I guess you get what you pay for. There are so many other options on the boardwalk, so I think I will be giving my money to another hotel next year.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the very south end of the hotel, which is near the service elevator.
2 Thank jennapens
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Let me begin by thanking you for making a review of our hotel. I am extremely ashamed that our rooms were not up to our usual standards. We maintain a high priority for clean rooms, and friendly knowledgeable staff. I have made each department aware of the issues you brought up. Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business and I hope you give us another chance to show you who we really are.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Horsham, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The location is very good very convenient to go to beach and close to all shopping and kids activities. The room was not very clean.. can be compared to a motel than a 3* hotel. Didn't feel the bed sheets and comforters were fresh. Did not clean the room even after putting the sign outside... Had to hold for 5 min and leave a message to contact the room service, eventually I had to walk to front desk to get some clean towels as no response after couple of hours.

Room Tip: Choose 6th floor or above. Choose rooms between x08-x18 for better ocean view.
1 Thank A N
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
I thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I apologize that you experienced issues with our housekeeping department. I am ashamed that we were not able to live up to your expectations, nor ours. It is my hope that we were able to rectify the situation with your room. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I know we will be able to exceed your expectations next time.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was not expecting much from this hotel because a lot of the hotels on the boardwalk of OC are motels status. This hotel was a perfect location on the boardwalk and it fit my needs. The room at first glance was clean and very big. I was on the 11th floor with direct ocean view. The balcony was big and had enough room for us to relax on. It was also quiet in my room and on my floor. I had a good night sleep every night. It had a lot of amenities there to choose from. Indoor pool and outside pool with a tiki bar! Pizza place and a breakfast place at the floor level. A spacious parking garage to leave your car in as well. The room had wallpaper peeling off the wall and the metal cover that was covering the furnace in the room was coming off the wall. The hotel front desk staff and the coffee shop staff wasn't as friendly as you might expect. The maids were friendly and very nice. They always kept the room clean and smelling good. If they could replace the front desk staff with the housekeeping staff that would be a lot better. The housekeeping people are more friendly there. I called the hotel at 9pm to ask what time the Epic Bar and Grill closed on a saturday night and they said it was closed. I arrived back at the hotel on saturday night about 12;30am and they were still open. It was responses like this that had me believe that the front desk staff didnt know exactly what they were talking about. Overall, I would consider staying there again. I just wouldnt rely on the staff, I would just find out certain things myself.

2 Thank Stephen H
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your very detailed review. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. It is through guest feedback such as yours that helps us improve the training of our staff and lets us know where we have fallen behind. Apart from the few issues you had with your stay, I am glad you were able to enjoy yourself here at the Grand Hotel & Spa, and I hope to we are able to serve you again in the future.
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I did not stay at they hotel but I did have a massage with Karen at the Acqua Day Spa and again it was the best ever! Karen leaves me feeling healed, refreshed, rejuvenated and relaxed! Thank you for yet another awesome massage Karen (I hope you get your star) :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank bikinandhikin
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel since it was opened in the late 1990's. The staff is great. Our housekeeper Trifan Lilia kept our room very clean and neat. However, the hotel is getting "long in the tooth." It is in dire need of remodeling. And, quite frankly, the hotel is servicing a clientele that is neither respectful to other or the facility. We found a human feces on elevator 3 upon returning from the boardwalk one evening. The Grand would be better served to go upscale and rid itself and us of this clientele

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and stay on the 11th or 12th floor to avoid the rift raft that habitates lower f...
1 Thank Toots R
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very glad that you were well taken care of by our housekeeper. Let me take this time to apologize for the condition in which you found elevator number three. We have security on patrol throughout the entire hotel but unfortunately not every space can be monitored at the same time. Once we became aware of the situation, the elevator was shut down and cleaned and sanitized. As for the last part of your review, I am sure you are aware that the Town of Ocean City is a very diverse place; and as such we are proud to serve such a diverse clientele since our opening in 2001. Again, thank you for your review and I hope you will return for your next vacation to Ocean City.
Bear Creek Twp
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family and I have been coming to OC for about 9 years now. I had made our reservations at our usual hotel (reviewed elsewhere) but we had to cancel late in the year and could not get a room there. After looking at many hotels on here, I decided to give The Grand a try. I saw mixed reviews and thought it can't too bad. Well let me tell you, I agree with others on here that think all the good reviews are being made by management or employees and their friends and family. I'll start with the entrance, there is a fountain outside that has only one working spout of many and smells like decaying fish and cigarettes. Walk in the lobby and it smells like dog poop and feet. I got there a little before check in time and there was no line. They gave me my room key and ran my card. I had asked for a room on one of the upper floors with an ocean view or "Grand View" as they call it. What we got was a room on the 4th floor with what they call a "partial view" when I went back to the front desk to ask about this they said there were no other rooms available and there was nothing they could do. So I go back to the room where my family was waiting. During my wife's initial check of the room she found pubic hair on the bathroom counter and floor. After I told her that we had to stay in that room we checked the rest of the room. The wallpaper is peeling all over the place. There was mold on the ceiling, THE CEILING!
Neither mirror in the room had been cleaned in some time as there was a smokey film on them. The bedding obviously had not been changed from prior guests as we found crumbs in the sheets. My wife had to scrub the coffee pot as it had also had a film inside and out. There is mold in all corners of the bathroom and what appeared to be dried vomit on the side of the toilet. We had to keep our clothes in our suitcases as the drawers all had some type of debris or hair in them. The balcony is a pretty good size however there is absolutely NO privacy as they are only separated by some wrought iron railings (they say it's so you get a better view on either side). While we were standing on the balcony a child was making his way between the railings and going from room to room so if you do make the mistake of staying here make sure you lock the patio door because a thin person can easily make their way on to you balcony. I knew about the open balcony situation ahead of time, thanks to the reviews on here, I brought 2 cheap king size sheets and tied them to the railings for some privacy. The mattresses are SHOT they squeak worse than if they had come out of an old brothel.
My daughter wanted to get some ice cream from the shop in the lobby but changed her mind when she got another smell of the lobby. It poured the second night we were there so we figured we would check out the arcade and pool. Half the machines in the arcade were out of order and the claw machines were empty. So now we venture to the indoor pool. The water was cloudy and there was "stuff" floating in it. My daughter went to use the bathroom in the arcade and said that one stall had vomit all over it and one stall had a baby changing station that not been cleaned in sometime. There were no clean towels at the pool and thee were people in there drinking and eating like it was a party. The floor around the pool was slippery due to green mold all over. We left and went back to the room.
I can go on but I think you get the idea. This place is absolutely FILTHY!!! We called the front desk to try to address some of the problems but all you get is a recording, I don't think they really care anyway. You would think management would be looking at these reviews and realize something needs to be done but I guess as long as they are selling rooms it doesn't matter.

3 Thank Kirk M
Ty T, Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
First, let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am deeply saddened that you had such an experience. I assure you that this is not the standard of service that we offer our guests. Also, upon inspection of your room, the "mold" you had found was, in fact, dust that had blown out from the corners of your A/C vent. As for your room type, the Grand View rooms, are our partial view rooms on the sides of the hotel. The room you had booked was an Ocean View located just between Direct Ocean Front and Grand (side) View. I extend to you my sincerest apologies and reassure you that we take pride in offering our guests quality service and clean rooms and facilities. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and will direct your comments to the appropriate departments so this will not happen again. Thank you for your review.
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night during the 4th of July weekend. I have no complaints with the exception of the hotel being somewhat dated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The view was beautiful. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family