“Dirty”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 30 August 2014

For this price, you might as well stay at a motel somewhere in another dumpy ocean city spot. The room was big but was so dirty! The sheets, the carpet, the hallways, the bathroom (Ugh). There were hard water stains in the bathroom and in the crevices it was so blackened brown, could even be mold. I don't know, but for almost 300.00 a night, this was one of the dumpiest places I ever stayed in, and more expensive. So bad. I think they just need a new cleaning crew. Otherwise, the staff were ok friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,711)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is my second time staying here..a week before the Labor day weekend. I enjoyed the size and view of our room. It was much better than last time. I picked this hotel because of the proximity to the beach and boardwalk. I did not go to the bar, however my boyfriend did and said the drinks were overpriced and the female bartender was rude. It would be nice if they had a DJ and better selection for adults in the bar. It was always dark and empty. There was mold growing on the shower curtain, but the housekeeper promptly changed it once notified. I will plan to stay here again but will trying booking much further in advance to get a better nightly rate.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask questions before you book to make sure it is what you want.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

First trip to Ocean City and wanted a nice hotel...didn't get it. The bathroom was outdated, with no vanity to put your stuff. Mold around the tub and shower--fan didn't work in the bathroom. The shower head is on a bar so you are supposed to be able to adjust it up and down for different heights. Well, unless you are 3 feet tall, good luck. The shower head wouldn't stay up and when you turned it on, the head would spin to face out of the tub. Needless to say, ended up with a ton of water on the floor of the bathroom. The housekeeper was right next door and I went out to ask for help and more towels--he took off and never returned. Ran out of toilet paper and again, we had to hunt up a housekeeper to get some. Went to use the gym after the kids went to bed and while running on the treadmill an employee came in, said "we close at 11pm and TURNED OFF the lights--while I was running on the treadmill. Had to fumble around for the switch on the treadmill in the dark....was glad I didn't hurt myself. The pool areas were ok--but good luck getting a towel and if you do, you'll only get a very small, rough towel. The location is good, right on the boardwalk. Don't expect anyone to offer help to you though with your luggage. I was pretty disappointed, could have had a much better experience for less money elsewhere. Didn't really see anything "Grand" about it.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We took our then 10-month old son to Ocean City in July for his first trip to the beach and had a great stay at the Grand.
I had booked a room on the 10th or 11th floor so I was initially disappointed when we were given a room on the second floor. But, for the most part, it worked out great. While the extended roof and low floor don't make for the best view, it was a great location for our little guy. We didn't have to worry about him standing on the edge of the balcony way up high and he got to watch the seagulls up close. I would agree with others that the beds aren't very comfortable and there were some issues with the ceiling tiles in our bathroom, but in general, we didn't have issues with room, or hotel, cleanliness. The biggest inconvenience was that our room was near the elevator and the pool so we occasionally heard a lot of noise related to those items, including a really loud group at 2AM - not so fun when the noise woke up the baby.
The hotel is in a great location on the boardwalk and beach. We were able to pack light for the beach and come back to the room whenever we needed something. The location is on the boardwalk but away from the crowds, the amusements and the food venues, so we found the beach was cleaner and it was quieter. Yet, it was still close enough to walk to get food.
I found the guy at the front desk when we checked in to be quite friendly. I will say that when we travel we like to get out and explore so we didn't use the hotel for much. We didn't eat there and we didn't interact with the hotel staff except for at check-in.
We did use the outdoor pool twice and found it to be fine. There were only a few people there at any given time when we were there. We were given large blue pool towels upon arrival and the young man even layed out our towels on our chairs for us.
For the price, I think the hotel needs updating but it worked for us for a weekend trip. We're returning this weekend so I'm hoping that we have a similar experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were impressed with this place while we were looking for a nice OC hotel to book for our short vacation. The pictures online looked great, however everything that appears nice about this hotel is just a facade. The first thing I noticed, almost immediately is that the staff is very rude. From the front desk, to the bartenders and clerks in the hotel restaurants, we found the staff not willing to answer questions. Additionally, service was very slow in all of the bars/restaurants in the hotel. The convenience of in hotel restaurants and bars was diminished by the lack of good service.

Now, onto the room. The room was decently clean when we arrived, not counting the chewed up cracker in the ice bucket and mildew in the shower. During our 3 night stay, the housekeeper appeared only once and gave us a few extra towels. By the time we left, we had no towels, no toilet paper left, and a mountain of garbage that hadn't been removed during our stay.

The location is nice right on the boardwalk and with ocean views, but for the money you pay, find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Tscara1
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is ok place. stayed at the grand hotel in august. First one will notice when you call reservations line at the front desk during day time, they will never answer the phone. There is a voice message that states usual leave your number and we will get back to you, but never got a call back (left about 3-4 messages). when you call, If someone does answer to make reservations during day time, then you got lucky. It is during evening time, they ever answer the phone.
second, at checkin, there was only one person to check people in. Imagine on a busy saturday, there is only one person to check people in. next, it is noticeable, people will check you in at front desk, give you your room key and....good bye. They will not ask you if you need anyone to help you with your luggage, they will not even tell you there are elevators to get to your room, they will not tell you where you can park, they didn't even tell us where are room number is. Usually when you check in, you would automatically be told this, not at grand, we actually had to ask these questions to get answers at front desk during check in. . next it is noticeable, people at front desk really don't know much of..well...anything about the hotel, you would think if they really worked there. if you ask them a basic question, they would tell you to hold on, they would ask a manager, and answer your question, otherwise they do not know much. example, asked if there is room service available, was placed on hold for about 60 seconds to get an answer. another example is front desk didn't even know if there is direct phone extension to the spa at the hotel. One of the most surprising thing is people at front desk don't know much about the hotel.
At the pool side, small towels run out, and the bin remains empty to replenish towels. people were calling front desk to have towels for the pool room. oh can't forget the balconies. ok read some reviews on balconies, and they are true. balconies are not private. you can literally walk from one balcony to another from your own balcony. they are just open to your neighbors. strange. not sure why the hotel decided to design such balconies so people can just walk over. also notice, they will charge you for a little safe in the room weather you use it or not. it is not mentioned during reservation, but they do charge automatically, and refuse to remove the charge.
it's an ok place if you are looking for good location, don't expect any high level of service. There are a lot of hotels there, and the price is pretty similar to a lot of others.

3  Thank circuses
Reviewed 25 August 2014

ok- I have read some of the other reviews and am surprised. we have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. i am picky and would say that I often was surprised how they were able to keep the hotel public areas free of sand. I saw workers mopping and sweeping everyday and found no foul odors. I was happy with our room- the beds are ok, obviously not going to be like your own, but the sheets are getting a little too worn thin.I know they get a lot of use, but this could make such a nice improvement We were in room 810. I did come back to our room early one morning when housekeeping ,Lucy, was cleaning our room and found that she had thrown the linens on the floor at the foot of the bed prior to making them, and than proceeded to vacuum. YUCK! please there has to be a better way Grand mgt. The adjoining door does allow for quite a bit of noise to travel thru but other than that we had no problem. I noticed that the sliding doors have been replaced and are much quieter. the issue of privacy between rooms is true, but it allows for the unobstructed panoramic view-priceless. the outdoor pool was nice, the walk up bar a plus for an afternoon treat.They have been replaced some of the pool chaise chairs and offer nice blue towel covers for them although few in number and they were out the day we wanted them. The location-oceanfront, and price during peak summer, make it for me still a good choice. if you want the Hilton go down the street and pay >450 / night. However, The Grand- customer service and room cleanliness should still remain a priority and yearly upkeep a way to keep customers coming back.

Room Tip: higher floors offer better views, most rooms offer ocean views