“Great Stay”
Review of Grand Hotel & Spa

Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I have been going to OC for over 20 years and have stayed at several different hotels. I would rank this one as one of the best values in OC. I don't really have anything negative to report regarding my stay here. If I wanted to be nit picky, there are only 4 elevators and they're not the fastest moving. Other then that, no other complaint. This hotel is a little further down (21st Street) but right on the boardwalk. It's further away from the action so its a bit more quiet. I had an ocean front view which was great. Our room was cleaned very well every day. We made some special cleaning request and our attendant, I think his name was Lazaro, handled them fine. They have an indoor pool in case it rains or if you want to get out of the sun. The outdoor pool was big enough to accommodate a lot of people and it was clean. They also had an outside pool bar. It was a bit more expensive for drinks there but about what you would expect to pay. They have a 24 hour cafe on the first floor for any late night snackers. There is a bar on the first floor for some night time entertainment. We had to call maintenance because our toilet backed up. They were there in about 5 minutes. We tipped the guy and had to call him back again about a half hour later. Tried to tip him again and he wouldn't take it. The issue was our fault - tried flushing baby wipes and they backed up. The maintenance guy was super friendly. We asked for extra pillows and got them with no issue. Probably more I could write but I would have no problem recommending this place and I'm certain next years vacation with be booked here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank keyser777
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 30 July 2009

I am writing this review from my room on the 12th floor. I love The Stowaway Grand. The views are wonderful. This is my third time back and it want be my last. The only other place I would think of staying at would be a ocean front condo with a complete kitchen. Who ever wrote the review about their rooms being smelly like cigarette and cigar smoke must have stayed on the smoking floor. My room was every clean and the bed was very comfortable.
We also had high-speed wireless internet on the 12th floor for free. All-in-all our trip was the best thank you Grand. Erma

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaStarwolf
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Traveling with a family and kids who wanted to see the ocean, this hotel seemed reasonable and had oceanfront rooms available. Our rate was very good compared to other hotels offering the same amenities and rooms on "the strip".

Although it's a little old, it was clean and kept up nicely. It's directly on the boardwalk/beach, it has indoor and outdoor pools, and it has several stores in it -- containing beachgear, clothes, souvenirs, etc. at decent prices.

Our kids loved it. We would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank MarcDV
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My family and I have stayed at the Grand Hotel four or five times. The location is great, the rooms are nice and large (the end rooms are bigger and have a side window) and my teenagers like the pizza shop on the ground floor. Last year, before making our reservation, I checked their website. It showed their rates and said that they offered a 10% Triple A discount except for during July and August. I called to make a reservation and not only would they not offer the Triple A discount during the first week of June, but they would not match the rates on their own website. The woman got an attitude and told me that I should just book our room on the website. When I went back to the website, I got a "hot deal" of $85/night as opposed to $159/night. This year, no such luck, so we changed to the Holiday Inn. It was much nicer than the Grand. I noticed, however, that all of the non-Grand reservation services offered significantly lower room rates than the hotel direcly. That makes no sense since they obviously have to pay some fee to the reservation services.

Having already noted the PROS, here are the CONS:

Expensive
Staff mostly foreigh students which caused some communication problems as other reviewers have noted.
Caters to high school and college kids who partied all night on the balcony. (Management said that they can't discriminate based upon age. Other hotels do and I believe that the policy is based upon their desire to generate revenue.)
Indoor pool area is not very nice for an expensive hotel. Pool always seems dirty and is overrun with small kids without parental supervision. Although there is room for them, no hot tubs or jacuzzis in pool area. Sparse, unattractive indoor pool area.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PghZorro
Reviewed 14 July 2009

For the 5th year in a row we have stayed at the Stowaway Grand Hotel. It is a great place to stay. The design of the hotel is such that almost every room has a wonderful ocean view. The only down sides are that it is very pricey and the cleaning service could do a little better job. Here's a tip..instead of getting reservations - just show up. We did and saved $100.00 per night!

1  Thank AnnMaryland
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My in-laws booked the family 4 rooms to stay for while in June. Although it rained a good portion of the time, we had plenty to do in the hotel (pool, games, pizzaria, lounge). The giant Wii screen was great, but the Wii remote bar was set so high (about 7 feet) that the kids couldn't play it (they couldn't reach their arms high enough in the air to get the remotes to work, so "family" Wii was out). The rooms were clean. Beds were fine. TV was old. Balcony was far from private (just "prison bars" to break up the balconies, you could see your neighbor and kids could squeeze through) and although it's a non-smoking hotel, the guests on the left of us smoked constantly all day long, so we smelled it indoors and out. Ug. The bathrooms were clean, but one day the maids definitely didn't clean the toilet. Sliding glass door locks didn't work on 3 out of 4 of our doors, but they had installed lock bars to use, I guess because they didn't want to replace the doors? The microwave/fridge/sink area is nice.

Worst problem? The pools. The indoor pool was frigid, sort of grimy and mildewy. I watched one girl slip on the wet tile. It's like they didn't consider that large tile would get slippery when wet. The supplied towels were hard to come by. The wi-fi was non-existent on the 9th floor, something that made it very difficult for my husband who was trying to do an online class. He had to get up at 5 a.m. to go to the lobby to use the wi-fi in quiet. If your mini-van has a storage case on top, you won't fit in the garage. You have to hope there are spaces out front. If not, you have to find other parking on the street. But, the staff did allow us to use the 15 minute spaces when the garage was full one time.

The outdoor pool was absolutely freezing! The ocean was warmer than this pool. The worst part? The pool deck is dangerous. If it's wet, it's a hazard. Case in point, my daughter slipped forward, pushed her two front teeth through her lower lip and split her chin open. When I realized what happened (there are no guards), I picked her up and put a towel to her face while I tried to check the damage. Another guest ran to get ice for her. Clearly the bartender knew what he was getting ice for, but never called security or risk management or anyone to assist. We finally realized she needed stitches. We asked the front desk on the way out where the nearest clinic was, and that was the only reason they knew she was injured. When we returned with 7 stitches later, security took a report. They said they would try to find the tapes, and that was that. It's a week later, and no one has called us to see how she's doing, nothing. I'm surprised at the lack of hospitality. After going to Ocean City for many, many years, we thought we had found our new hotel home. However, after this incident, we aren't sure we can trust that the amenities are safe. It seems to me that pool deck safety is hotel maintenance 101. Latex paint covered cement isn't safe to me.

2  Thank dzturtle
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We visit Ocean City every Summer at least once, and have found the Stoaway Grand to be the best bang for the buck. Great location - on the boardwalk away from main traffic, but close enough for easy walk to amusement area. Always pretty clean and convenient inc. a 24 hour coffee shop downstairs. Although It is nice to see new top end hotels going in like the Hilton and Marriott - I just can't justify spending $ 429.00 and up to stay at one of them at Ocean City ! We payed $ 200 a night this week - it goes up a bit in July and August., but not much. Great parking too, a huge parking garage just steps away from front door, something many don't have. We will continue to go to the Grand every time !

1  Thank cruzans