“Good hotel with excellent cleanliness” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pennsylvania
“Good hotel with excellent cleanliness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We travel to Ocean City, Maryland almost every summer and definitely prefer the Boardwalk hotels. This past time was the first we ever stayed at the Grand Stowaway Hotel. All in all we had a positive and pleasant experience.

The lobby is spacious and offers direct access to the Boardwalk. At 21st Street the hotel is not completely central, but it is still an excellent location and everything on the Boardwalk is within fairly easy walking distance. The 24 hour cafe is a very nice touch. The breakfast sandwiches and bagels were only so so, but the muffins, brownies, and pound cake were all very good. One minor gripe is that the Grand Terrace restaurant was only open from 7 am til noon. It seems to me that an in-hotel restaurant should be open for all 3 meals and offer room service, but perhaps that is just I.

We had a room with an excellent view of the ocean, two queen beds, mini fridge, and microwave. The cleaning service was superlative -- not just for our room, but the entire hotel. It was very clear that they expend a great deal of time and effort keeping the place free of sand (as much as can be for a beach hotel during peak tourism, anyway). I was impressed by how cool and clean the halls, lobby, and elevators were.

The outdoor pool was very nice, but the indoor pool seemed to be over-chlorinated and was too warm. The fitness center and gameroom were nice plusses; although I think they should have had more than 2 treadmills, especially since one was quite rough over about 5 mph.

In general the room was comfortable and spacious with a nice balcony, but the mattresses were a bit firm for my wife and daughters. I was also disappointed that high speed internet access was only in the lobby. For me this was inconvenient. I definitely prefer to have in-room high speed internet access. Also the A/C was fairly loud. There was no high/medium/low control for the fan... just a thermostat. Whenever the A/C kicked on it would seemingly jar the entire room. We ended up just shutting it off at night.

Even so, our stay there was pleasurable and I would recommend the Grand Hotel to others... just with the above caveats. It definitely holds its own (at least) as compared to other Boardwalk hotels. For not quite $300 a night (room and all applicable taxes and fees), it is a good value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank bustertheboa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My family of 4 stayed at grand at was disappointed with the service of employees. Compared to previous years of staying at the hotel the staff does not speak english nor understand very well. Lazy staff and incompetent. This is my last stay here at the grand I will go to another hotel. I would pass on this hotel if you are thinking about staying here because other hotels offer better amenties than this one for the price

• Stayed August 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dlr35
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Just got back from our Ocean Ciy vacation today. We stayed at the Grand this year. After having a less than grand time there in 2008 (anyone who has read my tirade after our July '08 vacation knows what I'm talking about) we took a break and stayed somewhere else last year. We came back to the Grand because the location is perfect. I must say that I am glad we did!!! Check in was a breeze, we got the floor we wanted, the view was FANTASTIC (we had more of an ocean view than we ever had before). How lovley to lay in bed and see the ocean!! The hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and helpful. There MUST have been a change of management. A change for the good!!! I will be happy to again recommend The Grand!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThePrincessPa
ChrisGrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
We are so happy that you chose to give us another chance and we are even happier that our hotel exceeded your expecations.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

My family and I were there on July 23 and we were pleasantly surprised. The room was very spacious and clean. We had a perfect view of the ocean (stayed on the 5th flr.) There a several amenities (although I have enough time to enjoy them). The only two complaints that I have is that the restaurant on the 6th flr was under staffed. I had to wait over an hour for breakfast. The other complaint is that there isn't any privacy on the balconies. You can see your neighbors on each side. Perhaps the hotel can install some type of privacy walls instead of the wrought iron that is currently there. Other than these two complaints, I had a wonderful stay and will definitely stay her next year.

2 Thank chocolatechip34
ChrisGrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
We are glad you had a great stay with us! We take pride in the cleanlieness of our hotel and I must say we have an excellent housekeeping staff. We look foward to seeing you again in the future!
York, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

I relied on this site to see what others thought about the hotel. I was nervous because I was taking a 9 month old to this hotel and wanted something nice and clean. And this hotel was just that. We got a direct oceanview room and it was definately worth the extra money. The views were breathtaking. The room was clean and huge!! We had a lot of stuff to take along and they have a kitchenette area with plenty of storage so nothing was sitting out. My daughter had plenty of room to crawl around. The carpet was a little wrinkled, but that didn't matter to us. Everybody was very helpful at the front desk. The only bad thing was the bathroom was tiny, but the size of the room made up for it! The room was relatively quiet except at the kithcen area where we could hear people out in the hallways! It was a fantastic vacation at a fantastic hotel! We'll definately be going back!!

2 Thank JackieSteve
ChrisGrandManager, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
We are so happy to hear you had a great time with us. Wrinkled carpet is on our "to do" list to fix during the winter this year. I am glad it didn’t inconvenience you. See you next time you are in OC!
Mon Valley, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

I've been going to OC now for over 30 years. First with my parents and now with my kids, so I've stayed in my share of hotels...both dumps and up-scale places. I'd have to stay that the Grand is above average.

We stayed in the Signature Series rooms on the 11th floor (#1114) and I must say the view is amazing. The beds, pillows and linens in the were very comfortable and the 4 of us sleep very well (for the most-part) in the 2 queen beds. The furnishing are a bit worn and our carpeting too was a bit bumpy.

Now, I cannot say that our stay was perfect, because on our first night a group of teens a few doors down were partying and making a ton of noise, then the second night the single guy in room 1115 comes in at 4:30am with a couple of LOUD women and kept us up for hours. We did turn him into the front desk that morning. The nice woman manager said the hotel has a 3 strike policy.

After that, all was well until the weekend when some idiot at 1:30am decided to set off the fire alarm. Nothing like getting your 9 and 5 year olds down 11 flights of steps. Worse than that was the 80+ year old woman in front of us being basically carried down by her family.

There were 2 days that our room was never made-up. we were out of our room by 9am and returned at 3 or 4 and can back to unmade beds. Those days, my wife made the beds and went to the maid's cart to get towels, soap and shampoo.

Also, if you have an over-height vehicle (like we do), you cannot park in the garage. Even though there are signs telling people to park their cars in the garage, they still insist on parking in the lot out front of the hotel. After a few days, I finally told the front desk and they let me park in the 15 minute loading/unloading spaces.

Finally, while these things sound terrible our stay was one of the better ones, compared to some of the other places that I've stayed at in OC. Being on the Boards is a plus and having a huge beach, an indoor and outdoor pool, mini-golf, fine dining, amusements and other entertainment within walking distant is a big plus with a family of 4.

This hotel is a very nice place and we'd have no problem staying here again...just fix that fire alarm system.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank cyclone2164
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We have stayed at the Grand Hotel for 6 years in a row. We love the ocean view. The place is clean and the rooms are very nice and big. The location is great because it is close to all the things my family likes to do at the beach. Phillips restaurant is only a half block away. Right across the street is a new Dairy Queen and Candy Kitchen. Miniature golf is only about a block away. And our favorite breakfast place, Happy Jacks, is only about 2 blocks away.

We did notice this year that it is getting time for remodeling. A hotel of this type asking around $300 a night should try to stay fresh and new. (Hopefully the owners and managers read these reviews.) The furnishing are starting to look dated. They need to upgrade to flat screen TVs. The furniture, since it is laminate and not real wood, is really starting to show wear. The bar on the sliding door was broken and missing pieces. When my husband sat in one of the green plastic chairs on the balcony, it broke. They are getting weather worn and brittle and in need of replacing.

We love the Grand Hotel. We recommend it to family and friends and will return next year!

2 Thank AnnMaryland
Hello there! Yes we are reading all the reviews and even better we take everyone’s ideas in to consideration big time! Thanks for your input and your continued loyalty to our property. See you next year!