“Awesome Hotel, i highly reccomend it!”

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Howard Johnsons on 12th street was an awesome hotel, upon check in i was greeted by the friendly staff! I had booked a King Ocean view Room, and they upgraded my room to a King Ocean Front room for no apparent reason. The staff was so friendly and nice. I recommend this hotel to any one and i will be back in the near future and this was my first stay at any Howard Johnsons, and it really made my stay pleasurable. There were a few minor issues with my room, like the bed post was unattached from the bed and the stopper on the sink didn't work and i notified the front desk and these issues were corrected right away.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank eclipsed00d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed 14 April 2011

We got a great deal on this hotel during our cheer competition at 79 dollars a night. Initially our room rate was 109 a night, but I went on their website and saw they were running an April special and called the hotel to honor the rate. THAT was NOT a fun experience for myself or any other parent who stayed there from our team. The front office was rude and annoyed that we would ask for the rate. I was one of the lucky ones who they honored the price for, some were NOT so lucky and did not get the discount.
They told you that you had to book through the website, BUT the website did not honor the special either!

If I could give this hotel a word of advice it would be two things: REMODEL your entranceway that the customer has to come into from the parking garage. It is close to the indoor pool area and it smells musty and seems dingy. It doesnt feel CLEAN and you automatically have a "Why the hell did I book here" mindset when you go into the elevator to the main lobby.

Second thing would be to REMODEL your lobby. I swear it feels like a cave and it is so dark that my thoughts were that you really couldnt tell if it were clean or not...everything was dark brown and black. ITS THE SHORE! Lighten it up! Put some natural wood tones in there, or lighten up the walls. THIS REALLY TURNED ME OFF.

I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful staff at the front desk who were AWESOME and when we ventured up to our rooms and opened the doors, I was VERY HAPPY in the fact that they were recently remodeled. They arent the Hilton by any means, but a clean room for a stay at the beach. Our front door did stick a lot, and the bathroom door knob was very loose, but overall a decent room for 79 bucks. Also, the bathroom IS TINY! I wouldnt stay there for more than a long weekend.

I wouldnt stay there again for a longer family visit because there are just too many other hotels who have better reviews that I would want to try. If they clean it up a bit in the main areas I may stay next year for cheer.

The indoor pool IS COLD AS HELL

Thanks!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank jenks0718Magnolia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Check in and out went smoothly, and staff was friendly. The Serta mattress was obviously new, however there was no mattress pad under the fitted sheet. Since the mattress still looked so clean and new I only took away one star, but they really need to add mattress pads to protect the mattresses, and for sanitary reasons too. If a sheet gets wet, even just a spot, the moisture will go right into the mattress.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeaFist
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I stayed here at the end of august for a 4 day stay with my boyfriend. I was pretty nervous after reaading some of the reviews but i just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. When we arrived I didn't feel to much better, the lobby was nothing to look at and the indoor pool was extremely creepy looking ( which really didnt matter, I didn't come to ocean city to swim in a pool). What saved this place was the room, it was suprisingly spotless, The bathroom was very nice and clean and it had a nice balcony. It was also in a great location. overall it was a nice beach hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bola2084
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I had read the reviews. I didn't have a choice since this was where a conference I was attending was having our event. The reservation taker was very helpful and accommodating. Check in was fine. A few notes for you to consider. If you are disabled, be sure you have a parking permit since that will get you in on the ground floor of the garage. Otherwise, up you go and no elevator. Check in is on the first (ground is the street level) and there is only one space in the garage for people who are checking in. I took the chance and parked, registered, and brought my parking permit back out. The rooms are pretty much what you have read in other reviews. I regret that the restaurant next door (south) has their exhaust fan blasting so, unless you like the smell of food instead of sea breezes, it's not much fun sitting out on the balcony if they are cooking. The location is outstanding. It's just plain great to be there except . . . the mold. The room had obvious mold (black around the air conditioning vent . . . I chose to use a wash cloth to at least get rid of that (and it didn't take an ounce of elbow grease). As long as I was outside my room, I was fine . . . except for our meeting room on the ground floor. Again, just as in the room, my nose started and there was no stopping it. In the middle of our meeting, I walked down the street to get some allergy medicaiton since I could hardly stand being in the room with my eyes puffed up and nose going like Niagara. I informed the desk and I didn't seem to surprise them. I chose to leave early because I was not able to pay attention to anything besides my nose. I also know others had the bad mattress experience mentioned in other reviews since others in our group were complaining. Thankfully, mine was nice. The fridge and microwave in the room is a plus. The food served at an evening reception was delicious.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank EnjoyTravelAlways
plazamanager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Ocean City Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

Dear Sir,
We are extremely sorry for the less than excellent stay you had while you were with us in Ocean City. It is never our intention to let any of our guests walk away with anything less than a great take-away about our property after their stay. I am very sorry about the discomforts that seemed to have hampered the stay of your group. I can assure you that I will personally be looking into all of the comments that you have made so that we can make changes for your next stay and others in the future. I can tell you that this winter we are completely over hauling our air conditioning system and putting in all new bedding in all 90 of our guestrooms. Again, I am truly sorry for the discomforts you encountered and hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Respectfully,

Mary Susan Jones

Reviewed 26 September 2010

This was my first stay in this hotel, it was a combination b-day/vacation/attend the big craft fair Sunfest held at Ocean City. I was traveling in this case with my parents, who after back surgeries earlier this year require baths fitted with handicap facilities (e.g., bars for tub, high toilets). Mostly I view hotels from the viewpoint of a solo traveler, so can't comment on the indoor pool (who needs a pool at the beach?) but it looked small/medium. Garage parking. Two slightly slow elevators with doors that are a bit vicious if they start to close, watch out you don't get hit. My room was a second floor sideview of the beach, which had a perfectly nice view, the metal awning described in an earlier post is there, but no cigarette butts, could be a problem if rain is pounding.

I was happy enough with my room, evidently refurbished fairly recently, outfitted in pastel coastal colors with a king-size bed, lots of pillows, an a sofa where you could open the French door and get the side ocean view, or sit on the plastic balcony chairs. Small bathroom but quaint, pedestal sink with hair dryer - nice feature is the solar lamp, plenty of towels, soaps, etc. They offer to get you stuff you forget. One thing - the mattress seems to be some older springy type, didn't bother me much but my parents complained it was too soft and bothering to people with back issues. You kind of wallow in it, like the mattress is old (or cheap). Everything seemed to be quite clean, so I felt pretty badly when we discovered that the outdoor faucet quote "had been faulty so the handle was removed and it's been like that for 2 years". (Who runs a beach hotel and doesn't provide outside rinse facilities? It's going to cost more as guests dump more and more sand into your plumbing when they get to their rooms - geez.). Another slight annoyance was there was only ONE ice machine on the ground floor, I love my ice, hate it when hotels make you hike for an ice machine. But having the in-room fridge and microwave is a huge plus.

I was crazy about the in-house restaurant, really delicious pizza, great drinks, excellent service, I'd stay here again just for the pizza - restaurant for sure gets 5 STARS!

For my purposes since I just want a quiet, convenient, place to stay with a fridge and easy beach access, this was perfectly acceptable - if they had a ground-level bathroom I didn't see it, so if you come in from the sand you have to go to your room to use the bathroom, and thanks to the broken faucet sand gets everywhere *shrugs*. Overall, it's sort of like a Hampton Inn that needs a bit of work, but it's fine, especially if you don't spend a lot of time in your room anyway. We chose this over the Marriott, prices in this area are bloated anyway, but we are not spending $400+ a night for a hotel room in an upscale hotel. Fortunately we showed up just before a tour bus pulled up with around 50 people staying here. I would stay here with kids, the outdoor pool is gone, evidently made into a sitting area, I'd just be prepared to NOT spend daytime in the hotel, to keep an eye on the elevator doors, and head for the beach or boardwalk - if you are from out of town the boardwalk can be a LONG walk, take the tram or wear good shoes.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank md_tide
Reviewed 20 August 2010

WE stayed here during a lacrosse tournament for two nights, and we thought this place was great. Good parking garage. Lobby has nice features and desk help was very attentive. Restaurant was awesome, we all enjoyed the food. Turned out we only ate there once but wish we could have eaten there more. Waiters were great. The view was great and there were stairs so you could get down to the Boardwalk. Rooms were very well maintained and had our room cleaned quickly. Indoor pool was awesome and came with a hot tub and the water temperature of both was good.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family